Author Topic: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade  (Read 63054 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Let's Play... BattleTech!
Are there any still kicking round until production restarts in 3058?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Alrighty, time to figure out what's going to be involved in this battle.  I've already selected the Command lance for this one.  That lance has been designated the 11th Combat Lance for the time being; it'll get a nickname sometime soon.  In case anyone needs a refresher:

The lance consists of The_E commanding, StarSlayer as his second, Dragon in the Awesome, and IronBeer driving around the urban renewal box.  For this fight, we'll have one allied unit attached to the lance, under our direct control - no bot for this guy.  For a combat lance, that means adding a medium 'Mech of the same tech level as our allies for the contract.  A quick roll show me that we have a friendly Phoenix Hawk to accompany us.  There are absolutely worse things to have, and the high mobility should serve us well in the city that all base fights have to take place in, for whatever reason.  Just about all I'd ask for in exchange is a Hunchback.

On a base attack, my allies also send in two lances that are lighter than mine, which means two medium lances.  A pair of quick 1d3 rolls determines that our employer isn't exactly swimming with 'Mechs, sending along a vehicle lance and a mixed lance.  Every single unit getting sent along are mediums, too, so these guys might not be very helpful.  Let's find out.  Punching in how many units I want to the RATs in MegaMek, my allies end up with:

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1
Wolverine WVR-6R
4x Vedette
1x Vedette (AC/2)
1x Vedette (Liao)

Well ****.  Vedettes for everyone, and they'll be green to boot.  Wonderful.  Ah well, the enemy is going to suffer almost as much, right?  Hopefully.  Turns out I misunderstood the forces the enemy would have to oppose us.  It's not just a pair of Heavy lances, I have to roll twice on the table that determines who's defending, on the Heavy table, since I'm bringing a Heavy lance.  This will generate things like 3 Light or 2 Medium lances, or 1 Heavy and 1 Medium, or something like that.  The effect is that I'm going to be hideously outnumbered.

Rolling once gets me 2 Medium lances.  Rolling a second time gets me 3 Light lances.  Hoo boy.  Five lances, plus base personnel, line up to oppose our two-hour-contract.  Woooo 13:30 odds.  At least the 11th is going to be qualitatively astronomically superior to any individual enemy.

More rolling, to figure out the types and weighs of the vehicles arrayed against me: 'Mech Medium, Mixed Medium, 2 'Mech Lights, 1 Mixed Light.  That means 16 'Mechs and 4 vehicles. 

Further rolling (it's a trend) finds the exact distribution of weights: 7 Lights, 8 Mediums, and 1 Heavy for 'Mechs, and 2 Lights and 2 Mediums for vehicles.  That should be enough to figure out the exact variant of everything on the field (minus base units, which are civilian stuff that's closer to target practice than actual enemies).  Plugging all of that into the MegaMek RATs gives me:

Wasp WSP-1L
Wasp WSP-1A
Stinger STG-3R
Stinger STG-3R
Stinger STG-3G
Urbanmech UM-R60
Hermes HER-1A

Crab CRB-20
Clint CLNT-2-4T
Wolverine WVR-6R
Vindicator VND-1R
Vindicator VND-1R
Vindicator VND-1R
Vindicator VND-1R
Vindicator VND-1R

Rifleman RFL-3N

Scorpion Light Tank
Scorpion Light Tank

Vedette Medium Tank
Vedette Medium Tank

This is going to be hilarious.

Those base vehicles I keep mentioning end up looking like this:

Flatbed Truck (LRM)
Flatbed Truck (LRM)
Flatbed Truck (SRM)
Wheeled MG APC
Wheeled LRM APC
Coolant Truck
Harvester Ant (LRM)
Harvester Ant (LRM)
Quasit QUA-51T
Icarus ICR-1X

Yeah, this is going to be awesome.  Any single shot from a PPC can cripple or destroy over half of those vehicles, and the same to quite a few of the line combat units the pirates are bringing, too.  All of their skills will be taken from the Green table, which means ranging between 4/5 and 6/7.  That's a lot more tedious than this, so I'll do that behind the scenes and just use MegaMek for it.

Next up, figuring out the exact size/terrain/conditions of the battle.  Since it's a base attack, it has to be either light or heavy urban terrain.  A coinflip tells me Heavy Urban.  After that, lighting.  This roll comes up "Moonless Night".  Good God.  I might not actually even have to kill most of these enemies at this rate; they'll do it themselves.  At least it's clear, without a torrential downpour or a tornado, or something.

After that, finding start locations.  Base defenders always start center, but I have to roll for anyone else, and it comes up SW.  We'll be deploying in the southwest corner of the map initially.  This map should be kind of hyooj, too, so that's actually significant.

Map size is started with a random roll, and added to based on the number of units in the scenario.  I rolled up a 40 x 10 hex initial map.  Every lance involved adds 5 hexes to either dimension, and base attack adds another 10.  Wow.  This map just ballooned to 90 x 60 (+10 base attack, +40 for eight lances involved).

Figuring the exact map used is pretty random.  The rules that I'm using come with a set of map seeds that I just alter the dimensions of and then generate before each battle.  That keeps me from fighting the same battles on the same maps over and over again, across the entire sphere.  I take the terrain type (heavy urban), and figure out what exact map type I encounter.  There are four options with varying probabilities of coming up, and I happened to roll City-high for my map seed.  That means lots of high rise buildings and restricted sight lines, as well as lots of pavement for moving and falling on.

That's all it takes to set up a battle.  It gets easier the more times you do it, so after this I'll just post the results instead of walking through the process every single time.  The final scenario:

Terrain: City-high
Size: 90 x 60
Light: Moonless night
Weather: Clear
Allied Start: SW
Enemy Start: C

Now I can actually play a game.  Holy ****.  I'm not going to sit here for the next six hours and play the game while I wait to post this though, so enjoy this token of appreciation for your continued support.  Just stare at that image of pure malicious delight, and know that's what's about to happen.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
if this was an open map i would be worried by the shear LRMage the Pirates have but in an urban-highrise map, this is going to be funny

edit, heck even that rifleman is going to be hard pressed to be useful
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ironically, I'd be worried (when dealing with a competent player) about my PPC minimum range.

Still, there's some decent stuff in there we could try to salvage. We'll probably get the Crab, but even money the RFL-3N blows itself to pieces with an ammo hit.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, Moonless night is wreaking havoc with everything.  The Awesomes can move one hex per turn, so I'm 18 hexes in and they started opening up about two turns ago.  One enemy 'Mech is gone, another is crippled (literally dragging itself through a building to escape), and the Rifleman just bit dirt from sustained damage.

This is taking forever.  I'll probably save and do the rest tomorrow, and post what I've got now once I hit 24 turns.

UPDATE: The Hetzer is crewed by the reincarnations of Michael Wittmann.  They've fired seven shots, hit seven times, killed two 'Mechs (Vindicator, Rifleman), and crippled a third (Hermes).  In sadder news, the Manticore went down to an absurd collection of hits that ignored the turret and ate away at the front.  The turret still had something like 35 points on it when the tank got knocked out.  Fortunately, it's still salvageable.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:49:58 pm by Scotty »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
UPDATE: The Hetzer is crewed by the reincarnations of Michael Wittmann.  They've fired seven shots, hit seven times, killed two 'Mechs (Vindicator, Rifleman), and crippled a third (Hermes). 
Awwwwwww yeah!  ;7 Looks like we're really tearing it up! (The rest of the lance *is* tearing it up, right?)

Quote from: Scotty
In sadder news, the Manticore went down to an absurd collection of hits that ignored the turret and ate away at the front.  The turret still had something like 35 points on it when the tank got knocked out.  Fortunately, it's still salvageable.
Damn. I hope Scourge and StarSlayer are ok.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

You're setting a hell of a standard, IronBeer  :p

Any status on StarSlayer and Scourge?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I won't know how badly they're hurt (if at all) until after the battle.  More than likely, they'll be fine.  The tank is disabled, but didn't suffer an ammunition hit, and the crew didn't abandon the vehicle to get gunned down by bot 'Mechs.  I'd say good chances.

The bots, on the other hand, have no had a pilot survive yet.  THey keep ejecting into buildings.

EDIT:  It doesn't help that I'm engaging literally the only things on the map that are capable of withstanding sustained punishment.  Five Vindicators, a Rifleman, and an Icarus were blockading this gap.  Those are literally the only 'Mechs on the map that can take more than one PPC and shrug it off.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Did we at least give as good as we got or just act as a damage sink?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
So what are the other lances up to? Just cooling their heels on the DropShip now?

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
So what are the other lances up to? Just cooling their heels on the DropShip now?

Pretty much.  Had I brought them along, the resistance would be orders of magnitude more annoying.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Pity, it'd be fun to show up as reinforcements or drop in.

Then again, in urban terrain, dropping is "fun" in the Dwarf Fortress sense.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If I had a Reserve lance, I could theoretically call in reinforcements.  During a battle where movement isn't restricted to 1/3 of normal, I might even use that sometime.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Now I'm curious how to set this all up and perhaps rebuild my old tabletop company, run a campaign...

A Feddie Story

Oooh, ouch. Well go Hetzer, at least :)

I think we'll just stay buttoned up here for the time being. Send a tech to cut us out after the battle.

Starslayer, bring any cards?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can we get a pic of the map and a turn-by-turn event log?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yes, you may, once I've got the battle finished and the write-up finished, sometime tomorrow.  I wanted to get it done tonight, but I'm on turn 57 right now and just killed the fifth civilian vehicle.  50% done.  I'm actually kind of afraid of how many pics I've got. :nervous:  I'll also post a copy of the save log for those of you that know how to read that stuff.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Awesome, looking forward to it. Also looking forward to writing about it from my characters' POV :D
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
How the hell did these pirates end up with an Icarus 1X?  I thought those were destroyed centuries ago.  Looks like they've got a collector in the ranks, and speaking of which if we can steal it I'm sure there's a museum that'd love to buy it.

Also if anyone wants to submit a description of their character I'd love to try my hand at drawing some story art.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Finished the battle, finally.  I'll have it posted up here sometime tomorrow, hopefully.  It ended up going 95 turns.