Author Topic: The WiH voiceacting effort  (Read 6752 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The WiH voiceacting effort
As we all know, WiH is an extraordinarily wordy campaign. Many people have remarked that they have difficulty following the story without voice acting, and we agree.
However, past experience has shown that coordinating the VA tends to slow down progress in other areas (in this case, development work on WiH R2), and so we're looking for assistance in getting this thing done.
One absolute, non-negotiable requirement for this job is willingness to use IRC to coordinate with us. We do a lot of our development work over IRC, and prefer it for the day-to-day management stuff.

Position has been filled.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:50:51 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: The WiH voiceacting effort
A working but not extensive knowledge of Audacity and ogg2enc are big pluses.

Most important is the ability to maintain organization while keeping up a professional, gracious, responsive and timely network of contacts with our actors.

Offline -Sara-

Can't help much there.  :doubt: My voice is too soft for Lorna, too deep for Noemi and I'm at times told I sound as if I nearly have a lisp. :lol: Besides my accent doesn't work (no matter how slight), I'm still Dutch. But I do know there's a site with semi-professional voice-actors who love to volunteer for stuff. I don't remember which one it is. But a Google for voluntary voice actors or something may give a result there.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:24:31 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Vip

Can't help much there.  :doubt: My voice is too soft for Lorna, too deep for Noemi and I'm at times told I sound as if I nearly have a lisp. :lol: Besides accents don't work. But I do know there's a site with semi-professional voice-actors who love to volunteer for stuff. I don't remember which one it is. But a Google for voluntary voice actors or something may give a result there.

Actually, I think they were talking about a coordinator person, not the VAs themselves :)
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline -Sara-

D'oh.. I guess I only take in half the information around 1:30am. :wtf: Either way, that's a hell lot of coordinating I imagine.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Actually, I think they were talking about a coordinator person, not the VAs themselves :)

Exactly. We already have a few ideas regarding actors, but we have nowhere near enough actors yet. And neither do we have the time required to coordinate this fully by ourselves, which is why we're asking for a helping hand here.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I hope someone can meet the needs of this undertaking.

Would they be responsible for the normalisation, mission amendments and archive management too?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not entirely. Both General Battuta and I can help with those things, we just don't have the time to do all the work ourselves. Really, the most important bit of help is recruiting VAs, getting the scripts to them and making sure they deliver their lines. The technical stuff, like normalization and postprocessing is something we can handle.
In the end, however, it depends on how we work stuff out over IRC. On the BP team, we're not big on designated areas of authority, we pretty much pick jobs and do them as they need doing, according to our abilities.

If you think you can handle it, send a PM to Battuta and me, or track us down on IRC.

Offline Infamus

I'm good a sounding like other people, but not as good as GABRIEL IGLESIAS.

Oh and I sing like phucking FRANK SINATRA. but i have allergy problems and the crap in my throat hinders me greatly.

I am good with computers. also i have Audacity. Not only that but I also have the free editions of NCH Software's WavePad and Switch.

WavePad is a sound editor (effects, cropping, things like that) that supports OGG (but cannot output OGG) and Switch is a Converter which fully supports OGG output/input via plugins. I also have Winamp and am planing to get the Pro Edition. It also supports OGG

Wave Pad acts as a sound recorder as well and can export .WAV's in many diffrent formats. you really should get it, its awesome for free stuff.

also from them i have the free editions of the Prism video converter and the Pixillion image converter.

PS: I have extreme reading comprehension and can gather emotions from even the smallest amount of info and can put such emotions into my voice.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I can help work on audio stuff (as in normalizing and cleaning up wav files and whatnot) as I do have a theatrical sound degree...

However.. I just don't have the time to actually be the lead coordinator person.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Troyd

Sent one of you a message, hope to hear back soon :)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I did say a while back that I would be interested, and I am still seriously considering it. It's wordy, but around what I imagined.

Though I'd only do it if nobody else stepped in to do so.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:23:01 am by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm still halfway tempted to take this one myself too.  :nervous: I know I shouldn't, but it's really hard to hand it off to someone else.

Whoever does get the job will probably be saddled with a nervously attentive Battuta.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The position of VA coordinator has been cast. Thank you for your enthusiasm, we will have the first casting calls up in the near future.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We gave IssMneur the job. While each and every one of you are tremendously awesome, we'd worked with him before for a while. Hopefully things will move forward quickly!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
E, will the files I sent to you a while back still work for this? If not (given that you liked my work), would I need to record or re-record anything else, namely for the Nelson?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They should still work, the lines as such haven't changed. Can you resend them to me? I seem to have lost them when reformatting this PC.

Does that mean I should forward him recruits ;O?
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Yes.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

I need a new microphone, if anyone recommends one that records at a good sound quality, I'd gladly do the Indus' only active bridge officer in Sunglare.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp