Hosted Projects - Standalone > Wing Commander Saga

WCS:DD in Linux with Wine

(1/4) > >>

niffiwan:
Update: The Wine AppDB now has instructions that include getting the launcher working.  I'll leave my instructions here for now, but I'd recommend following the AppDB guide instead.

If you're like me and you can't wait for the Linux (or Mac) version to be released, you can try running it with wine.  I've played maybe 25 missions and it's worked fine so far.  Hopefully someone else will find this useful - if you have any feedback, please post below!

I'm assuming that you've already downloaded the windows release of Wing Commander Saga: Darkest Dawn and unzipped it into /some/path.

1) Install Wine
Rather than repeat someone else's work, refer to here for general instructions.
Ubuntu users can add this PPA to get access to a recent version of wine.

2) Prepare the Wine environment
I like to keep all my wine apps separate from each other.  I think it makes it easier to run different apps without conflicts.

Open a terminal and run the following command:
Note - you need to keep this terminal window open to run the rest of the commands below.

--- Code: ---export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-wcsdd

--- End code ---

You can replace .wine-wcsdd with anything you like - the name does not matter.

3) Install WCS:DD
Run the installer with:

--- Code: ---wine /some/path/darkest-dawn-setup.exe

--- End code ---
/some/path is where-ever you extracted the install files to. 

Just accept all the defaults - if you change the install dir you'll need to update the script I use below (if you want to use the script that is).  The install should also put a link on your desktop, I... umm... deleted it because I like the command line :nervous:, but you may prefer to use the link to run the game rather than mess with scripts like I do...

4) Run the game once
Running the game creates some registry paths - it's easier to do this than type them in by hand:

--- Code: ---wine $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/Wing\ Commander\ Saga/wcsaga_sse2.exe

--- End code ---
(or use the desktop shortcut)

Create a pilot, and then exit.

5) Update the registry
From your terminal, run regedit and set the following key/values in:

--- Code: ---HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Volition -> WingCommanderSaga

--- End code ---
You only really need to set the 1st key/value to get your correct video resolution, but the others don't hurt.

NameTypeValueCommentVideocardFs2openREG_SZOGL -(1680x1050)x32 bitChange 1680x1050 to be your resolutionTextureFilterREG_DWORD1OGL_AnisotropicFilterREG_SZ4.0Or use 8.0, or 16.0CurrentJoystickREG_DWORD0
6) Play!
Use the desktop shortcut.  Or if you like scripts:

--- Code: ---#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-wcsdd
cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/Wing\ Commander\ Saga
wine ./wcsaga_sse2.exe

--- End code ---

7) The Launcher
The whole regedit thing could be skipped if you can get the launcher working.  I couldn't, but I didn't try very hard either.  It seems to be a .NET app, so you may have some luck if you want to install mono - at least, that's what wine suggested  ;)

Tolwyn:
Fantastic guide. Much appreciated. Stickied!

Aginor:
Great guide, thanks!

Topgun:
why can't you use a svn build of fs2?

headdie:
WCS use a custom branch of FSO, you would need to build into your build all the changes they made into FSO for it to work

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version