Author Topic: Image space?  (Read 9199 times)

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
isn't mediawiki able to handle this OOB?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
A simple upload script with PHP isn't too hard to make. There's probably dozens floating around.
http://www.ferretgames.com/imageupload

Open for all.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, I've got an FTP account for Wiki images set up and ready. BW, I hate to say it, but you'll just have to get someone else to upload your images for you if FTP is blocked; perhaps make a thread where you post the pics as attachments and any of the other senior Wiki contributors that runs across it can upload those pics if they haven't been uploaded already (if someone uploads the pictures, they'd post to say so).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

I can write an image uploader, probably. It'd be PHP, check the files extension and size, and return the URL where the image can be found.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline redmenace

I can now upload images. Please PM me of kara about submissions.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Shade

Any chance I could get permission to upload images as well? I've got plans to make the FRED related pages more attractive and user friendly by adding illustrative images where appropriate. Plus one more uploader for people to bug wouldn't hurt with Redmenace currently occupied elsewhere :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Shade and Wanderer seem to have more time than I do to do things for the wiki. Might be worth giving them upload powers too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

While we're on the subject, Mars (Moniter on the wiki) is also putting a ton of effort into it. I don't know if he plans anything that might need image uploads, but given the amount of updates he does (rather more than me), I imagine it will happen sooner or later.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The updates I do are all pretty minor, and the major things I'm planning on doing over my summer break are all of the incomplete mission enteries, which doesn't require images; however, as long as this is happening maybe it's time to replace those retail ship images, the GTF Perseus for instance makes me gag every time I see it.

I'm not sure how to take consistant screen shots, so maybe it's just as well somone else does it; but I could try.

Offline Shade

Best bet probably is using the lab (F3 from the main hall). But you're not required to do anything, I just mentioned you cause every time I go to do something, you seem to show up with at least 3-4 entries in the recent changes list :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I forget how I handled the FTP access... does anyone know if it was one shared login, or individual logins?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Shared.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Suggestion... (as made by WMC ages ago...) you (we) could try using Ship Viewer script that was made just for that purpose... Lighting is not optimal though and envmaps are not too good but other its pretty nice.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Sounds good if it works better than what I've been doing

I took screenshots of every single ship in the game from the lab, that was the easy part, I've ran into several problems
  • None of the ships take up the same area of the screen, so unless I hand scale every single screenshot, they will all continue to be different sizes
  • It's impossible to get the angle exactly the same every time, so that throws off the aspect ratio

So yeah, I'll give that a look.

Edit:
Wow, he fit all that into 98 lines of script?

Edit (again):
Ugh, minor problem. Anyone know how to script in the ability to take screenshots? I suppose I could just paste from clipboard, never mind

Major question:

Is 320X240 too big? How big should they be?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 02:48:15 am by Mars »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hope you have mouse with three buttons (who doesnt these days).. Moving mouse cursor (with button pressed) to upper left corner opens next ship, lower left exits the game, upper right zooms in and lower right zooms out.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I've run into a couple of problems first off, the script doesn't work in 3.6.9 RC 2, I'm not sure if that's a bug with RC 2 or the script.

Also, can I add the ability to export screenshots to that script? It's reall inconvinient to get it from the tool bar every time.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
It seems like WMC's modification was not backwards compatible... Changing +Override: YES to +Override: true fixes the issue... And as i usually run the game in window mode its rather easy - with for example irfanview - just to paste the new pics as soon as you have taken them.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
That worked, thanks.

Here are the results I'm getting so far

Any better than the original?

Once again, is 320X240 too big? As a JPEG the Hecate is 25kB
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 01:10:50 am by Mars »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well... i think 320 x 240 is just fine for the viewers.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Edit (again):Ugh, minor problem. Anyone know how to script in the ability to take screenshots? I suppose I could just paste from clipboard, never mind

Look for a "screenshots" folder, they should be stored in there. Or, just do a general search for "screen*.*" and see if the newest ones are the ones you took.

First, the image you posted isn't a PNG...it's a BMP file with the .png extension. Second, a JPG with 60% compression (Going by the IrfanView slider) should be decent enough, and makes the pic take up less than 5kb. You can probably vary it some for the ship, overall, I'd say that 5-10 KB for a preview pic is just fine.

There isn't a way to directly store a screenshot via script, but if searching doesn't help turn up the old screenshots, you could try moving the script to a different screen. Changing "$State: GS_STATE_INITIAL_PLAYER_SELECT" to "$State: GS_STATE_TECH_MENU" will replace the techlab with the ship viewer, and by that point game screenshots would definitely be working.
-C