Author Topic: Fighter complements???  (Read 6878 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
No, in modern armies squad =/= squadron, at least I don't belive so, in Freespace however, it is the same.

Yeah, in the Meson bomb cabani, I swear (I mentioned this before) I can make out "A large ______ made specifically to destroy large antiques"

Here's how it goes:

Flight: One Flight = 4 fighters; Three Flights = 1 squadron; 3 squadrons = 1 wing

Ground: One Squad is typically a four-man team of commandos sent on suicide missions. The rest, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_unit

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
FS2 tech descriptions say the Orion carries more than two dozen wings.  If we are to assume there are 4 fighters per wing then that makes 98, make that about 100 to satisfy the "over" part.  The Hecate is much more cavernous, housing more than 150.  The Typhon holds 30 wings, which gives it 120 fighters.  The Colossus houses 60 wings which makes 240 fighter or bombers, and there's nothing on the Hatshepsut, but it can be assumed that it would house somewhere around 120-150 fighters.

Vasudan wing also traven in packs of four, so it's safe to assume that's their number.

Another note, when it sez MORE than two dozen wing you don't really add 2 fighters but rather a full wing or a squad (2 fighters can't form a wing, they can be exrtas but really?).
Aditionally, the Galatea holds 10 squadrons (and it's nowhere mentioned that it's special in any way). That would make 120 fighters which is indeed more than two dozen.
And if you look a little closer, you would see that the Orion has just as much internal volume as the Hecate, if not more.
After all it's a big, long brick.
The Hecate won't house the fighters in it's thin neck or the "wings", and I doubt the engine sections either. Gven that the fighterbay entrance is at the very front, that leaves little chance for hte hangar to stretch trough the whole ship, but it's rather confined in the front part.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Here's how it goes:

Flight: One Flight = 4 fighters; Three Flights = 1 squadron; 3 squadrons = 1 wing

Ground: One Squad is typically a four-man team of commandos sent on suicide missions. The rest, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_unit

IN FS2 terms i meant, In the UK we dont do "squads" we have Fire Teams, Two Fire teams make a section, 2>4 sections make a troop depending on the regiment you're attatched to.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
No, in modern armies squad =/= squadron, at least I don't belive so, in Freespace however, it is the same.

Yeah, in the Meson bomb cabani, I swear (I mentioned this before) I can make out "A large ______ made specifically to destroy large antiques"

According to dictionary.com, "squadron" just means "one squad."  The word squad itself comes from the word square..  So squadron mean "one square" (it's all french).  However a squad can vary.  In today's military, a squad is only applicable to the smallest grouping of troops, consisting of a squad leader (a sargent) a corporal, and about ten or so privates.  A squadron refers to a smallest grouping of non-human troops.  In the olden days, a squadron refered to a small calvary group that could ride together as a single unit.  Today it refers to mechanized units or tank squadrons, or air calvary.  In the air force or naval air forces, it is subordanite to a group and is composed of two or more "flights" or wings.  In the non-air navy, it refers to the smallest grouping of naval ships.  If you go to a Naval base, you'll see that ships will have written on them something like "USS _____ 3rd Fleet, DesRon One"  DesRon means Destroyer Squadron, and you'll see CruRon for Cruiser Squadron and things like that.

So...Even though there's a difference in the dictionary between "squadron" and "squad," they essentially mean the same except that squad refers to human troops while squadron refers to mechanized units.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Ugnn, Yankology... I wont argue, I have no appetite for USA terminology, But its more applicabe to FS2 than Imperial.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Freespace Freak

Ugnn, Yankology... I wont argue, I have no appetite for USA terminology, But its more applicabe to FS2 than Imperial.

The people who made FS2 are 100% bonafide Yanks, and don't forget that!  :P  FS1 & 2 definately have a Yank feel to them as you never hear a single character have anything other that a 100% American accent. 

Just to clarify, in the US Military, you will hear people referring to a squadron as a "squad," but you will NEVER hear someone refer to a squad of troops as a "squadron."  How do I know this?  I AM in the US Military.  Granted, it's just the Coast Guard, but I was stationed on a Navy Base, and in boot camp, recruits were organized into companies that were divided into squadrons.  The entire boot camp was called the "regiment."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

The people who made FS2 are 100% bonafide Yanks, and don't forget that!  :P 

Gah, thats why i said it.......... ::)

PS=- I spent 6 years in the Royal Engineers myself  :P

-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
FS1 & 2 definately have a Yank feel to them as you never hear a single character have anything other that a 100% American accent.
Um..."WELCOME to Epsilon Pegasi, pilot!" much? :p

Offline Freespace Freak

FS1 & 2 definately have a Yank feel to them as you never hear a single character have anything other that a 100% American accent.
Um..."WELCOME to Epsilon Pegasi, pilot!" much? :p

OK, maybe my memory is not what it used to be. You're talking about Lt. Commander Cordova?  In the mission, I certainly don't remember there being any Brit or commonwealth accents during the Cato mission.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What about the Vasudans, they don't have American accents... :nervous:

Offline Freespace Freak

What about the Vasudans, they don't have American accents... :nervous:

I think for the most part I think the "translator" is always in an American accent, but I think they tried to give Admiral Khafre a wannabe English accent, but that was thoroughly butchered.  Either that, or it's so distorted I can't make heads or tails with it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
What I meant by saying that is that Cordova himself has a distinctly non-American accent.  (Well, to my ears, at any rate. :p)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Cordova was trying to sound like a brit and ended up sounding... weird.

In the SCP Derelict some of the Vasudan voice actors were Aussie or British, and you can tell.

yea. . . like Mackey (tell me if I'm spelling it wrong)

"I've got a wad of duct-tape I'd like to shove up your arse"

or, my personal favorite:

(in reference to getting a medal)"I think I'll duct-tape it to my cockpit"(or something along those lines..)

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Is it an American accent, or an accentless english voice? There would be no localized accent present in any of the voices Ive heard in game. Ive been inclined to think that it is more or less how the "internationalized" accent would sound..... as Grug has argued with me on many occasions that most Aussies dont have that G'day shrimp on a bobby accent that Irwin had.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Shrimp on a bobby?  Most rozzers would bang you up in belmarsh if they heard you say that my sonny Jim.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Freespace Freak

No, Cordova is definately not Brit, nor do I think he trying to sound like it.  He just sounds weird.  But I just realized that I think the voice actor for Cordova is the same for Admiral Khafre.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:01:20 am by Freespace Freak »