Author Topic: Reaction to Blue Planet  (Read 12219 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Reaction to Blue Planet
Dear lord...
Someone here just can't take constructive feedback  :rolleyes:
At least I didn't say it sucked...

Edit: Thanks for being mature about the feedback, Darius  :yes:

Huh? I wasn't mad or anything. Just correcting a few factual misperceptions.

Believe me, we've had way worse.

Also, you need to understand that almost none of the campaigns on HLP are voice-acted. Those which are usually have pretty poor quality. This is because quality voice acting can add two to three years to a campaign's development time (as in the case of Silent Threat: Reborn, which ended up with great VA.)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is it just me or do most female voice actors seem to speak through their nose? :nervous:

No offense to anyone of course...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The person who voiced the first Briefing/CB for Derelict had a bit of that. From then on I thought all CO's in the Freespace Universe must walk around with a cold.

Offline -Norbert-

The beacons needs to be closer (about 6000m). The first encounter with the Shivans, however, was well made!

I definatly agree on that....
Unless of course Darius manages to incorporate the autopilot feature into that mission, were you just hit alt+a (or whatever you have it assigned to) and the game automatically speeds up and then slows down when you're close. I remember seeing it in other campaigns, but I can't remember in which ones. At the moment the only thing you get is "you have not selected a navpoint" or something like that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The beacons needs to be closer (about 6000m). The first encounter with the Shivans, however, was well made!

Unless of course Darius manages to incorporate the autopilot feature into that mission, were you just hit alt+a (or whatever you have it assigned to) and the game automatically speeds up and then slows down when you're close. I remember seeing it in other campaigns, but I can't remember in which ones. At the moment the only thing you get is "you have not selected a navpoint" or something like that.

Wing Commander Saga.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
And even now it does the classic Wing Commander style of autopilot where you see your ship scream across the screen before arriving at the next waypoint.
Or more commonly, a Kilrathi ambush. ;7
And not so commonly, an astroid field.
Or less commonly, a minefield.
And rarely, a combination of ambush and one of two fields.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The person who voiced the first Briefing/CB for Derelict had a bit of that. From then on I thought all CO's in the Freespace Universe must walk around with a cold.
Did I?  I hope that was indicative of my old mic's crappy quality or my nasal state on that particular day, and not the way I generally speak. :p

And Spectre, if you find voice acting that indispensable to your enjoyment of a campaign, you're shutting yourself off to any number of truly excellent creations.  Last time I checked, one's eyes were perfectly capable of reading text, and one's brain perfectly capable of comprehending it.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Wing Commander Saga.

It's also in the Twist of Fate demo IIRC.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

Voice-acting isn't the heart of a campaign - plot is. That's what people should be concerned about.  :p

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Did I?  I hope that was indicative of my old mic's crappy quality or my nasal state on that particular day, and not the way I generally speak. :p

Yeah it sounded like your nasal state, I noticed it changed a bit through the campaign :P

And Spectre, if you find voice acting that indispensable to your enjoyment of a campaign, you're shutting yourself off to any number of truly excellent creations.  Last time I checked, one's eyes were perfectly capable of reading text, and one's brain perfectly capable of comprehending it.

Yes, I'm fully capable of reading, comprehending, and communicating in English, thank you very much! But you're missing the point here...
voice acting adds the final sense of completion to a campaign, and after replaying the FS2 campaign I honestly can't engulf BP's so-called story driven campaign. It feels very dead, and frankly it's not that great to be forced to read ridiculously long phrases about what is happening/going to happen and about your objectives when fighting. Hell, even real fighter-pilots would have a brain meltdown of they were to have all their information delivered through a novel...

Anyhow I've heard people are trying to get BP voiced, so I got that part covered...
Must Crush Shivanism!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
SPECTRE, most campaigns aren't voice-acted. It takes forever. You'll learn how to extract story from messages and stuff as you keep playing user-made campaigns; it's really not a big bother.

Transcend, for instance, is one of the greatest story-driven campaigns out there. It has no voice. It doesn't need it to be great.

And yes, I'm one of the voice acting leads. It's going well. It has been going well for about eight months now.

Yes I know, but that still doesn't make it less of a matter for me...

It's a personal opinion, so please don't pretend you know what I perceive as being "great! It's very immature and pretty annoying, actually...
I stated my initial thoughts about the mod, as a source of feedback with the goal of H-E-L-P-I-N-G the team to improve their product. However, it's good to hear that there is a process in motion to fill in that lacking feature...

And kodos to the guy behind the FRED'ing, despite some annoying cut scenes it's very well made and the battles are extremely intense (especially the nightmare battle with the Lucifer!) without falling victim to the Battle-of-Endor syndrome that so many custom battles tend to do.
Must Crush Shivanism!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I was just concerned you'd miss out on some genuinely spectacular campaigns due to the voice-acting issue. You'll really find they aren't too hard to understand. You can always press F4 if need be.

I would never dream of dictating what you think to be great, good sir. I was simply referring to the community's thoughts on Transcend.

I still think its completely retarded that DEM or the JAD's haven't been VA'd yet.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why don't you go organize a voice acting effort, then?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
They would make the campaigns a lot funnier especially since the voices wouldn't have to be too serious other than Alpha 1.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Why don't you go organize a voice acting effort, then?

OMG

If anyone's with me I'll totally go for that, who made the JAD series btw?

Offline CKid

Axem
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Actually that is another problem with BP, IMO... I don't like how Alpha 1 now has a predefined personality, and even speaks, OMG! Not true to the Alpha 1 Code of Badass Silence.
Must Crush Shivanism!