Author Topic: Orion!  (Read 32069 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Oh? Barely noticeable from the pics.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I still hold that this ships needs a new texture job to bring out the potential in the model - 'till then it will look weird and substandard.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Greyish, metalish textures would fit this model the best.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
But Greyish, metal textures would not fit the Orion.  Quite frankly I don't see why everyone is complaining about the textures, they are an almost identical match to the original except where they had to be changed for detailing reasons.  Are they perfect?  No, of course not.  But given the geometry and the maps that the Orion uses, I don't think they can be applied any better.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
I don't have any beef with most of the texture stuff... however... someone needs to do something about the weird bits where the spikey things start.... they're all stretched out lengthwise and squished topwise. It's hard to describe, but it sucks.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I never got quite done with the spikey biuts, if someone wants to do something with them that would be great.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I hadn't even noticed those.  I'll fix them when I get those retextured turrets.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by StratComm
But Greyish, metal textures would not fit the Orion.  Quite frankly I don't see why everyone is complaining about the textures, they are an almost identical match to the original except where they had to be changed for detailing reasons.  Are they perfect?  No, of course not.  But given the geometry and the maps that the Orion uses, I don't think they can be applied any better.

That's exactly the problem: the textures are identical while the model is not.

You can't use the same generic armor texture for all those added parts - it would look weird and tacked on geometry.
You need new textures to make the additions seem useful or just real - make it so they look like parts with a reason and therefore their texture should be different.

Beside IMHO those generic armor textures are way overused - especially the blue texture with lots of lights.

TopAce I disagree - the purplish blue paintjob is what sets the Orion apart - though it would be indeed better if it were properly armored in a sensible manner (not this overtiling) and then painted.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The model really is close to identical though.  The purplish lots-o-lights map is actually less-used than it was on the original orion, and almost every region that was blue before is still predominately blue; every place that was primarily lights is still primarily predominantly lights, and everywhere that was the purple lights tile still is as well. There's a little more in the way of cut-out places and such, but everything's about the same nonetheless.  The maps are tiled more, though, but that is something I can easily correct.  As for added parts, they look more like layers of armor than anything else.  Maybe it's the trim; Bob kept the number of maps to an absolute minimum wherever he could, so the trim is using the same light strips that line the runway texture.  I also don't like the idea of adding another texture into the mix, simply because I frankly don't think it would fit (unless it was to replace the trim.  But that's neither here nor there).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 04:47:46 pm by 570 »

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
Methinks you should UV map it...

I know, I know, easier said than done...
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Nah, it's easily done, too. Just a pain in the ass to map.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Nah, the mapping is not that hard, but texturing it close to the original will be hard.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
*Points at Da-B* That's what I meant. Copy & Paste doesn't work as well as you might guess...
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Originally posted by TopAce

Blame :v: for it. They assigned beams to multi-part turrets.
As far as that Orion is concerned, it's too different from the original. Why is the nameplate there, not on the other side?

but does that mean we should replicate :v:'s flaw?

I'm not saying the model should be redone because that is'nt worth the effort unless it's being redone anyways.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Placing beams to somewhere else impacts the gameplay badly.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Just redo the turret so it has a cauldron or mirror or something in place of the guns.
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
^exactly what i'm saying. It's obvious that V wouldve put a beamdisc there if the model was new or they werent so lasy as not to rework it.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I can't have been the problem. If mounting beams on Old ships were possible, it's also possible that they change some turrets completely. How many Orions did they have? At most 5-6.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
5-6 Orions at most?
Excuse me, but where did you get that figure? It seems quite unlikely.

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
It looks bigger and chunkier than the original, which i like. Its impossing now, like a destroyer should be. :grin:
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!