Author Topic: Why Blue?  (Read 14239 times)

Why do the beam weapons of the GTVA Terran ships are blue?

Do you have something to do with the use of meson reactors ?

Why is the Prometheus cannon green? Why does the Hercules have four engines and not six? Why do a lot of UEF ships a spinny section?

They're all design-related questions that likely had little "scientific" support and were merely chosen for aesthetic effect (I think there might have been a specific reason for the spinny section, though).

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Blue is both a higher-energy color than green and a colder color, associated with precision and penetration.

Offline Darius

It symbolises the yearning of the Colonial Terrans for their home planet with its blue seas and blue skies.

Offline Qent

Blame Inferno?

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
(I think there might have been a specific reason for the spinny section, though).
Gravity?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Darius

Blame Inferno?

Pretty much. Inferno already had blue beams tabled up so I stole them and changed their damage.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Even beams get lonely.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Energy saver bulbs :yes:

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I'm going to make UV colored beams.
They're going to make your monitor output UV light to give people Vitamin D!
And Skin Cancer.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I think you should ponder why beams are even visible first. :lol:

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Because beams are plasma, not just photons. :P

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
(I think there might have been a specific reason for the spinny section, though).
Gravity?
"The most noteworthy design concept is the utilisation of a rotating section, creating gravity for those aboard the vessel. This greatly reduces the need for power hungry gravity plating, and serves as a platform for the ships medium range sensor arrays giving them an outstanding field of view. It also acts as a centrifugal power generator that powers most of the secondary subsystems leaving the main reactors free to deliver more power to the engines, weapons and other primary subsystems. - UEFg Karuna

Offline -Norbert-

But Inferno didn't have the first blue beams. Those were from volition. Now granted, they only used blue for anti-fighter beams, but they were still blue beams.

Blue beams also go much better with the color scheme of the new GTVA ships.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Gravity?
"The most noteworthy design concept is the utilisation of a rotating section, creating gravity for those aboard the vessel. This greatly reduces the need for power hungry gravity plating, and serves as a platform for the ships medium range sensor arrays giving them an outstanding field of view. It also acts as a centrifugal power generator that powers most of the secondary subsystems leaving the main reactors free to deliver more power to the engines, weapons and other primary subsystems. - UEFg Karuna
I've always wondered how you walked through those sections from the rest of the ship though... they don't turn slowly.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Gravity?
I've always wondered how you walked through those sections from the rest of the ship though... they don't turn slowly.
There should be a central axle connecting from one end to the other end while the centrifuge gets to spin freely or something. Without a counter-torque the Karuna should always be rolling to one side...

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That still doesn't explain how you get on the centrifuge.

Offline -Norbert-

The further towards the center of the gravity section you go, the less speed the block travels at and thus also has less gravity. If you build a tunnel through the very center of that section you can enter and exit it as easily as we go through one of those turning doors often used for shopping mall main entrances.... or rather float, since we talk zero g in the center of the gracity block.

Offline Luis Dias

See 2001 for details.

But yeah, I agree that the things spin too fast. Does anyone have any numbers on the size of the things and their Hz? We could do a quick calc at the resulting G force.

EDIT: Ok, I haven't any freespace tool in here, so I'll have to guess based on the wiki page and some videos.

I'd guess that the Hz is about 0.125 rotations per second (8 secs per rotation), and the thing is about a hundred meters radius (well something on that order of magnitude).

For this we have to calculate the perimeter: Pi*radius*2, gives something like 600 meters.

The velocity in the perimeter is thus 75ms-1.

We can now calculate the centrifugal acceleration: a = v^2/r,

a = 75^2 / 100 <=> a = 56,25ms-1.

One G is 9.8ms-1 give or take, so we are somewhere around 5 to 6 times G in the outer parts (given the error margin, this could be between, say, 4G to 10G).

So yeah, it's spinning too fast. The 1G radius in that Hz frequency is about 30 meters, give or take.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:15:03 am by Luis Dias »