Author Topic: Supernatural Elements? (spoilers unmarked)  (Read 13972 times)

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Re: Supernatural Elements? (spoilers unmarked)
I was just saying that kind of disproves the "no intelligence" idea.

Yeah, there's a hell of a lot of anthropomorphism simply in trying to fit the Shivans and their actions to a coherent moral code. Consider that the Ancient in FS1 had just watched her species being scoured by them with no warning or reason, and Alpha 1 had only narrowly avoided the same fate; proposing that it happened as part of someone's greater plan is a lot more comforting than that all those people died for no reason at all.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

No, it actually doesn't. Read Peter Watts' Blindsight to get an idea of what I mean.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

'Intelligence' and 'consciousness' are two nebulously-defined but very definitely different things.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah, wasn't there a webpage with that story that was linked in this forum some time ago? Included some vampires and so on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Definitely doesn't.

This, presumably. I refuse to read it because I'm dangerously prone to ontological dread.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This, presumably. I refuse to read it because I'm dangerously prone to ontological dread.

Good call, this book would ****ing slay you.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
When you get into that kind of philosophical stuff you can't even prove that you have intelligence.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
and now I'm intrigued.
el hombre vicio...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
When you get into that kind of philosophical stuff you can't even prove that you have intelligence.

In the same way that a mathematician cannot prove that 1 + 1 = 2, this is correct.

Offline Luis Dias

Anyway, the analogy is somewhat off. It is true that in AoA we do see the Shivans communicating with the Vishnans, negociating what to do next. I really do not care in the slightest if the Shivans have no consciousness, or "intelligence" as you seem inclined to define, what matters is they have some kind of neural net that is understanding intent from their Vishnans counterparts and communicating their own intent. "Blindsight" depicts a too different scenario, one where an alien uses a chinese room to deflect the protagonists from the alien's true purpose.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Everything that happened during Universal Truth was delivered to Sam by the Vishnans. It could have been a wholesale fabrication. Now, from a meta-storytelling dramatic standpoint I'd find that pretty unsatisfying...but I'd be hesitant to read too much into the fairly simple personifications offered there.

How much of it was delivered and how much of it was Sam himself trying to fit things to a familiar model?

Offline Luis Dias

How much of it was delivered and how much of it was Sam himself trying to fit things to a familiar model?

Both? There's no territory, there's only the map. There is no objective reality, everything is a model.

*sigh* What I meant to ask was, how much of it was Vishnan fabrication/deception/simplification and how much was Sam himself?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Given the way Nagari communications work, it is hard to tell where this line is.

Offline Luis Dias

*sigh* What I meant to ask was, how much of it was Vishnan fabrication/deception/simplification and how much was Sam himself?

Sorry my answer sounded facetious. It wasn't, I assure you. I... just can't explain what I mean better.

No, I was mostly frustrated with myself for phrasing it to sound like I'd missed the point.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
I hate solipsism