Author Topic: UEF destroyers  (Read 13077 times)

Offline CT27

With the additional GTVA destroyers being brought in, it's not unreasonable I think to assume there will be some heavy destroyer action upcoming.

So far, all three UEF destroyers are at least relatively intact.  By the end of WIH, do you think the UEF will lose at least one destroyer?  If so, which one?

-Solaris (Byrne)
-Eris (Netreba)
-Toutatis (Calder)
-2 of those
-All three

Calder will go down in a blaze of glory against the Atreus to protect his last remaining frigates while quoting Moby Dick at Steele.  Khan Noonien Singh wishes he was that badass.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
I still hope that Byrne will do something cool with the Solaris. Like ramming a ship.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I say the toutatis rams the atreus while Calder screams "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at th-!" over comms before smacking into it on overloaded engines and detonating his antimatter magazines.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Nah, UEF Destroyers are just too cool to be killed of... :cool:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Toutatis and the Solaris are the most likely to be destroyed by the end of BP3. The Toutatis because of Calder's beef with Steele, and the Solaris probably due to some situation associated with Project Shambhala.

Offline CT27

Netreba probably survives the war then in your opinion?

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I hope humanity is doomed, therefore all destroyers go down. Also, the chanses are Netreba will be developed in upcoming campaing so I can't see why wouldn't he go down with his ship first. He is capable of taking risks and showed that before.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Terminator

• Just another guy...
I think the Eris will be destroyed. I also think Steele and Calder will fight side by side against the Vishnans. It could happen. After the cold war ended, the US and Russia started conducting joint exercises. In Stargate Atlantis the Tauri, Wraith, and Pegasus Humans joined up to raid the replicator homeworld.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Netreba?, you mean Calder?
Spoiler:
I thought Laporte was going to be a 3rd fleet commander or something like that in the next release.
el hombre vicio...

Again this is just a guess at what's going to happen, but from the tone of this story I think friendly destroyer losses are going to be inevitable.

In storytelling terms Calder is good candidate because of his aforementioned grudge with Steele for Jupiter, his diminished resources, and like people have said above because going out in a blaze of glory sounds amazing. Byrne is also a good candidate because of his relationship with Project Shambhala which is implied to be something sinister or at least dangerous, and his downfall could be tied to the downfall of Shambhala if that occurs in the story.

Netreba hasn't recieved as much attention as Calder or Byrne so I feel he's a bit safer.

Also, just because Laporte is stationed on the Toutatis doesn't mean it won't be destroyed, we did lose the Galatea and Psamtik in FS1&2, and Laporte has switched ships at the end of every act so far.

Offline Drogoth

I don't know if Shambawhatitsproject is a good way to judge risk to the Solaris - too many variables we don't know.

I actually feel like Netreba is the most likely candidate to go down.

He often works with Third Fleet, and apparently they 'almost lost the Eris' during Aristeia. Third fleet is a barely operational wreck, which limits Calder's freedom of operation. His destroyer acts more as a hunter-killer unit then a deterrence platform these days in my eyes. Which means I doubt he will be committed to an engagement he isn't very confident he can win. Netreba on the other hand has a functioning fleet and is usually tasked with tying down enemy fleet formations in a critical and important way to the overall operations (Aristeia and Delenda Est). Larger engagements have far more potential to go wrong as they are less micromanaged. 

Additionally, I don't think Netreba's lack of character development makes him safe. The Indus is trashed, there is no way it's operational again yet. But Lorna Simms is alive. Who's to say she isn't now based/being transferred to the Eris? That's the emotional link for the player if the Eris gets taken out (provided Simms is indeed transferred there). Maybe she gets all her rooks off ship in time but doesn't make it herself?

OR - The tevs rescue her from a lifepod. Maybe that would cool some of Laporte's rage? Spitballing here...
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I agree with your analysis on the second fleet losing its destroyer, they tend to be given riskier assignments because they are actually still an effective fighting force above the hunter-killer scale. 

I don't know that witnessing a rescue cool her rage though.  She could just assume that Simms would be hauled off for interrogation/torture or something to keep the rage state going.

Offline Aesaar

Indus is a prime candidate for becoming a Mk2.  That ship needs a very long stay in a dockyard anyway, so it may as well get an upgrade.

It could, but considering the timeframe for Steele's attack on Earth I doubt it'll be in fighting condition soon enough to be of aid.

Offline Drogoth

I agree with your analysis on the second fleet losing its destroyer, they tend to be given riskier assignments because they are actually still an effective fighting force above the hunter-killer scale. 

I don't know that witnessing a rescue cool her rage though.  She could just assume that Simms would be hauled off for interrogation/torture or something to keep the rage state going.

She could be part of a POW exchange in order to get Lopez and the crew of the Carthage back. At which point she is alive, and (if she was treated well) maybe some of the old Noemi will return.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline CT27

She could be part of a POW exchange in order to get Lopez and the crew of the Carthage back. At which point she is alive, and (if she was treated well) maybe some of the old Noemi will return.

Or the crew of the logistics vessel captured in WIH part 1?

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Since you have the option of slaughtering the carthages crew I think that the anemoi crew is the better choice.

Offline crizza

Wait...whats that whole thing about Simms, she is alive, but most likely being treated by the Fedayen(I can't get the spelling) or not?

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Wait...whats that whole thing about Simms, she is alive, but most likely being treated by the Fedayen(I can't get the spelling) or not?

Nope, most probably she is somewhere in Two Fleet HQ undergoing treatment along with the rest of the Indus crew.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun