Author Topic: World of Warships - Now Available  (Read 276321 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Re: World of Warships - Now Available
Anybody play World of Tanks? :P

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I occasionally feel the urge to play again, but then I think of having to re-hone my skill set on top of all the frustrating teams.  I find in WoWs that it is much easier to turn out a good personal result in spite of how dross the team is, so I don't get pissed like I would playing WoT.

btw
I have Iowa, Buffalo and Ibuki all unlocked and enough Free XP and creds to deck out one.  Any suggestions?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
My personal preferences say Ibuki.

Common sense says Iowa.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Yeah I am kinda leaning towards the Iowa, I enjoy the Missouri and I'd like to get my hands on the Montana as my first Tier X BB. 

Offline Enioch

I do not have the Iowa, but my clanmates tell me that Iowa =!!!!!! Missouri

Something about guns in the Iowa being a lot better.

Enioch!

Are you on the EU or NA server?

Also, watching that video and reading your posts are really helping my Akizuki game. Got like 160 main battery hits and 50k damage last battle (which is really good for me).

Offline Enioch

Scourge!

I am on EU.

Glad to hear you're learning to enjoy the Ducky. That is still less than what she can offer you, though. Aim for a solid 250-300 hits per game, and don't be afraid to use AP against broadsiding DDs at 7-10km. Ducky AP melts them.

BTW, if anyone cares, StatsBloke (the clanmate who hosted me) is aiming to become a Community Contributor and has a Discord channel here: https://discord.gg/HFwQn5j

Join us for stats, whining, and whining about stats. Stay for the jokes and the alcohol.

I had a phenomenal game yesterday in my Friedrich der Große. I feel it was a fitting send-off for the ol' girl before she gets retired for a Großer Kurfürst tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I had forgotten to re-enable replays in June, so this screenshot is all that remains of the battle:

(Please ignore Kantai Collection UI mod...  :nervous:)

EDIT: Also, that XP income is with a LOT of flag and camo bonuses applied.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I had a phenomenal game yesterday in my Friedrich der Große. I feel it was a fitting send-off for the ol' girl before she gets retired for a Großer Kurfürst tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I had forgotten to re-enable replays in June, so this screenshot is all that remains of the battle:

I also enjoy Fat Freddy a lot. Like many other T9s it enjoys a certain inconspicuousness when thrown into T10 matches. The T10 ships pull all the aggro on them, so you get to pull of some bold moves and survive.
And Freddy is just so damn tanky that I often just pop hydro and follow friendly DDs into the cap, attention-whore around, blap some cruiser, endure all the hate and then retreat to heal up, only to repeat the same move 2 minutes later.

209 secondary hits, resulting in 2x close quarters experts, kek.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Tanz has some nice skins (both camo and Kure grey) up for the new IJN Cans: https://www.facebook.com/TanzShipMods/

I ended up springing for the Iowa, the shell flight times seem different to what I expect but otherwise its been a beast both times I've taken her out.

:D

Offline Enioch

<all the submarine memes>

WG lost a massive opportunity by not including this steampunk design in the halloween event:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Welp, that's one way snuff out the upset over the Wee Vee.

It will be dumb if they try to shoe horn them into PvP but I guess its finally happening.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So 7.9 pulled an Operation Crossroads on pretty much all custom skins.  I chatted with another modder, zFireWyvern, and he had snooped out the fix on the RU forums:

https://forum.worldofwarships.ru/topic/26291-0780-шкурки-на-корабли-от-vikingrdd-anime-warhammer-darksiders/?page=117&tab=comments#comment-4995758 (note you want XnView Classic)

I tested it first with just Haida first and it worked, I then started running the process in country sized batches.  I am writing a note here huge success.

I still need to go through the process of converting my skins and bundling them all up, but if you are itching to get your stuff squared away the above appears to be the way forward.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Grinding my way to Hindenburg's legendary upgrade module.
The meta may have changed with all the new T10 HE spammers and other gimicky ships, but Hindy is still a hard carry boat.

Triple Hindy = DPM-steamroll (if you have competent DD team mates that keep the reds spotted)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:19:46 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

How does one counter a decent Hindenburg, in say, a Grosser Kurfurst? In, hypothetically, a ranked situation?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
How does one counter a decent Hindenburg, in say, a Grosser Kurfurst? In, hypothetically, a ranked situation?

Not easily. Hindenburg's big weakness is battleship AP from ranges where its turtleback cannot protect it. So I fear sniping Yamatos/Republiques the most, ships with accurate big guns that can easily citadel me through the deck regardless of my angling. The GK on the other hand does not make me nervous in general.

As for what to do in a GK vs Hindenburg: Don't try to brawl, that's where Hindy excels. Instead angle and start kiting away. That way you protect your upper belt/bow/stern from those juicy 10k AP volleys the Hindy likes to pump out. Your superstructure will eventually be damage saturated, which should help your survival. You still have to either kill the Hindy or get undetected before it burns you down with HE.
So in short, you're not well suited to counter the Hindenburg, but in ranked you can still contribute to the team by tanking and luring the Hindy in a position where your teammates can blap it.

Offline Enioch

Also, if the *ahem* hypothetical situation that you're describing, the Hindy is focusing you in a GK (i.e. the damage sponge par excellence) instead of using her amazing DPM vs your cruisers. That is good.

As Fishguts says, angle sharply away, try to keep him within secondary range so as to make him sweat (this is not necessary), F3 him and shoot something else. If he's pushing you, he's making himself a target for the rest of your team.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Some RN Cans:

Aww yeah, those are some niiice cans.