Author Topic: Steam Deck - I will pay a nerd to get Knossos working.  (Read 13950 times)

Steam Deck - I will pay a nerd to get Knossos working.
Freespace via Knossos FIXED with the newest OS update [Dec 14, 2023]

Here is the most updated solution: 

1 -- Open Desktop Mode.

2 -- Use a real keyboard for your sanity.

3 -- Open up a blank document using a preinstalled app called KWrite and copy this stuff to a new file that you'll call Freespace.sh:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
unset LD_PRELOAD

rm -rf /tmp/desktop-mode
mkdir -p /tmp/desktop-mode
cat > /tmp/desktop-mode/kwin_wayland_wrapper << EOF
#!/bin/sh
$(which kwin_wayland_wrapper) --no-lockscreen --width 1280 --height 800 --x11-display $DISPLAY \$@
EOF
chmod +x /tmp/desktop-mode/kwin_wayland_wrapper

kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot false
PATH=/tmp/desktop-mode:$PATH startplasma-wayland
kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot --delete

4 -- Save it into the Home directory, or just on your desktop.

5 -- Right click on that file, go to properties, Permissions, then check "Is Ececutable"

6 -- Start  Steam in Desktop Mode (not Return to Gaming Mode) and click "Add a Game" then "Add a non-steam game" and go to home/deck. You'll have to select "All Files" from the "File Type" dropdown to see Freespace.sh. Add it as a Non-Steam Game. You can add game art if you want for added Style, https://www.steamgriddb.com/game/3719 has lots of art all ready to go.

7 -- Go to this link https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

8 -- Download the file called Linux_x64.tar.gz open it, and drag the file called Knossos.net to your desktop.

9 -- This is what you will click on to launch Knossos.net, the portal for installing Freespace Open.

10 -- Next, insure you have purchased Freespace 2 from Steam and install it. You can find my custom control set by clicking on the controller icon next to the play button for the steam Freespace 2. Go under the Community Layouts tab. It's called Freespace Open - By Delta 5-1. You'll have to save it as a local template. Go to your Library and go to non-steam games. You can now add that template to your Freespace.sh custom added game (that's not a game,  just a ghetto workaround) as the default control layout.

11 -- When you launch Freespace.sh it will just take you to desktop mode. You'll need to click on the "Knossos.net" file you made to launch the portal.

12 -- Open Dolphin file explorer, go to the home folder, and create a folder called "FreespaceOpen" to store all the freespace mods in. Set that folder as the place to keep the files on the first Knossos prompt "/home/deck/FreespaceOpen" Your Freespace VPs are installed at "/home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Freespace 2" The .steam folder may be hidden, so you may need to click on the three lines in the upper right corner of the dolphin explorer to see it, or select "All Files" from the file type dropdown. Or, you might just copy that filepath... Whichever.

Once Knossos knows where to find Freespace, you should be able to install your mods as you please.

Expect to spend a bit of time looking at my bindings and figuring out if you like mine or if you need to redo them completely. I bound the D-pad to power management, so that's one bind you'll need to change, but most of the rest are layered inside that layout.

To Exit the game, or to exit ghetto desktop mode, click on the steam button and select "Exit Game". If you need to do anything else in desktop mode, restart your steam deck and go into it the normal way.

After all that nonsense, you appreciate this game so much more.

Here is the old post, listed purely for archive purposes:

Scroll down to my TLDR EDIT on this first post to see the old  instructions on getting FSO working on Steam deck, You shouldn't need them anymore, but for archive sake, they're still here.[/size][/font]
[/color]

Alright. I'm nerdy but apparently not nerdy enough. I spent about 5 hours  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: trying to get my steam deck to run the Knossos portal, but I just couldn't figure it out. What I need is a super easy flat pack for the Discover store or some similarly easy way to install Knossos on Linux.

It's worth money to me to get it working, $69 via PayPal or Venmo to anyone who can get me into FSO via Knossos on my deck.

I can't afford any more sanity trying to figure this out myself. Running Knossos with proton seemed broken, and I just could not wrap my head around the AUR instructions.

I know that most of you guys are in it for the love of freespace like I am, and if the person that solves this for me prefers, I will also pay the bounty to the upkeep of this site instead of a personal payment.

****EDIT FOR TLDR*****
If you just want to install Knossos on Steam Deck for now, you'll have to reinstall it every SteamOS update. Here's the sequence that works for me:
First, in Desktop Mode, set an admin password for your deck. Go to System Settings>User>Change password. Make it super duper unbelievably easy to remember, because if you forget, You'll have to reimage your steam deck to reset it. When the Konsole asks for your password, it hides the letters as you type, they are there, you just don't see the cursor moving.

Open Konsole in Desktop Mode.
Use a real keyboard for your sanity.
Start typing. Hit enter after each line. Remember that Linux is very case sensitive for all commands, not just passwords. Y is not the same as y. Type in your new password as required.
sudo steamos-readonly disable

Continuing on for initial install (select Y to continue through all the parts of the install):
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring
sudo pacman -S base-devel
sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel git python-pip
pip uninstall PyQt5 PyQt5-Qt5 PyQt5-sip PyQtWebEngine PyQtWebEngine-Qt5
sudo pacman -Syu --noconfirm --needed python-pyqt5 qt5-webengine qt5-svg qt5-webkit
pip install https://pxo.nottheeye.com/files/test/knossos/knossos-0.15.0.dev0+73b131a.tar.gz

If you are reinstalling Knossos after a SteamOS update, this should work for you. Just Click on your old desktop link.

If  it all worked...

Close Konsole

To get it to run in Gaming mode:

Open up a blank document using a preinstalled app called KWrite and copy this stuff to a new file that you'll call Freespace.sh:
#!/bin/sh
unset LD_PRELOAD

rm -rf /tmp/desktop-mode
mkdir -p /tmp/desktop-mode
cat > /tmp/desktop-mode/kwin_wayland_wrapper << EOF
#!/bin/sh
$(which kwin_wayland_wrapper) --no-lockscreen --width 1280 --height 800 --x11-display $DISPLAY \$@
EOF
chmod +x /tmp/desktop-mode/kwin_wayland_wrapper

kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot false
PATH=/tmp/desktop-mode:$PATH startplasma-wayland
kwriteconfig5 --file startkderc --group General --key systemdBoot --delete

Save it into the Home directory, or just on your desktop.
Right click on that file, go to properties, Permissions, then check "Is Ececutable"
Next, Start normal Steam in Desktop Mode (not Return to Gaming Mode) and click "Add a Game" then "Add a non-steam game" and go to home/deck. You'll have to select "All Files" from the "File Type" dropdown to see Freespace.sh. Add it. You can add game art if you want for added class.

Create a shortcut for the desktop by opening up KWrite again.
paste the following lines, and save it as "Knossos" to your desktop.
#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Knossos
Icon=hlp.png
Exec=python -m knossos
Terminal=false
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/fso;

Rightclick on the file, go to the "Permissions" tab and check "IS EXECUTABLE"

Next, insure you have purchased Freespace 2 from Steam and install it. You can find my custom control set under the Community Layouts tab. It's called Freespace Open.
You'll have to save it as a local template. Go to your Library and go to non-steam games. You can now add that template to your Freespace.sh custom added game (that's not a game,  just a ghetto workaround) as the default control layout.

When you launch Freespace.sh it will just take you to desktop mode.
You'll need to click on the "Knossos" file you made to launch the portal.
Open Dolphin file explorer, go to the home folder, and create a folder called "FreespaceOpen" to store all the freespace mods in.
Set that folder as the place to keep the files on the first Knossos prompt "/home/deck/FreespaceOpen"
Your Freespace VPs are installed at "/home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Freespace 2"
The .steam folder may be hidden, so you may need to click on the three lines in the upper right corner of the dolphin explorer to see it, or select "All Files" from the file type dropdown.

Once Knossos knows where to find Freespace, you should be able to install your mods as you please.

Expect to spend a bit of time looking at my bindings and figuring out if you like mine or if you need to redo them completely.

To Exit the game, or to exit ghetto desktop mode, click on the steam button and select "Exit Game". If you need to do anything else in desktop mode, restart your steam deck and go into it the normal way.

After all that nonsense, you appreciate this game so much more.

One final note, after a SteamOS update, you'll have to do the Konsole work again, but none of the rest. This is not a great process, but it worked.

If you  get an issue with

First issue (fixed) was when running "sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux" it was just throwing up database does not exist errors. Seems to be a SteamOS 3.4 issue. Fix (thanks google) was as follows:

Edit a config file found at /etc/pacman.conf
sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf and modify these:

Change [jupiter] to [jupiter-rel]
[holo] to [holo-rel]
[core] to [core-rel]
[extra] to [extra-rel]
[community] to [community-rel]
[multilib] to [multilib-rel]
Ctrl + O save
Ctrl + X exit

sudo pacman -Sy
User fix identified by @Meadiator

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 01:36:14 pm by delta_5-1 »

Re: Steam Deck - I will pay a nerd to get Knossos working.
The AUR instructions are to deal with qt update incompatibilities. They should be hopefully unnecessary on a fresh install like the steam deck. As Phantom Hoover is working towards a bugfix release, I'm standing ready to push a new and simpler version to the AUR.
So your problems might vanish with a little patience, but as I don't have a 'deck, you'll have to test for yourself.
Bookmarking this thread to notify on future developments.

Alright. I'm nerdy but apparently not nerdy enough. I spent about 5 hours  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: trying to get my steam deck to run the Knossos portal, but I just couldn't figure it out. What I need is a super easy flat pack for the Discover store or some similarly easy way to install Knossos on Linux.

flatpak.... oh god, flatpak

i spent ages getting knossos to build on flatpak, and it worked! the problem is that the linux FSO binaries are packaged with appimage, and appimage absolutely does not work inside flatpak.

I think another crack at the AUR install is probably your best bet — I can't experiment on SteamOS but if you have makepkg at the command-line that's really the only tool you need. Follow the instructions here to build AUR packages manually: first python-token-bucket, then fs2-knossos. Use makepkg -si for the build stages to make sure you get the dependencies.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

first python-token-bucket, then fs2-knossos. Use makepkg -si for the build stages to make sure you get the dependencies.

I think it's in the dependencies that I got lost. I've only ever followed exact instructions for Linux installs through the console. If someone can give me the exact commands to input into the console, in text or video form, it meets my bounty criteria. I just was screwing up the "install dependancies" step.

The problem is I don't have a Steam Deck myself, so I can't test any commands I write — I'm kind of flying blind. This is pretty much what I'm thinking:

sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel git python-pip
mkdir ~/pkgbuild && cd ~/pkgbuild
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/python-token-bucket.git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/fs2-knossos.git
cd ~/pkgbuild/python-token-bucket
makepkg -si
cd ~/pkgbuild/fs2-knossos

At this point you need to go to the Knossos maintenance project thread, paste the patch given in the Arch section there into a file called ~/pkgbuild/fs2-knossos/fix.patch, then continue:

patch PKGBUILD fix.patch
makepkg -si

I've actually tested this on a fresh Arch install, but that's still not exactly the same as Steam OS. Best of luck.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Before I forget how I got this far...

In order to run
sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel git python-pipi had to go in and 1- Make the Steam OS no longer read only     
sudo steamos-readonly disableand i also did this: 
sudo btrfs property set -ts / ro falseand then I had to 2- comment out [jupiter-beta] to just be [jupiter] as something with the Steam OS hated the beta.
after that everything has worked up to this patch.

I'm diving into how to actually apply that patch, as I've never done this before, so the phrase 
"take the PKGBUILD from the AUR and apply the following patch"
  means nothing to me. How do I apply that patch? If you see this @Phantom Hoover before I figure it out and post, let me know what I need to type to get access to the file to add that patch into.

-EDIT-
I figured it out. I opened the PKGBUILD from the file explorer and repaced the - lines with the + lines than continued. It worked!

I'm still trying to get Steam to open Knossos in gaming mode, as this will be required to take advantage over the real power of the steamdeck.

Next problem... is there a way to force Knossos to run fullscreen?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:13:36 pm by delta_5-1 »

I honestly hadn’t considered the Steam Deck until now. Given how that thing’s selling we probably need to find a better way of distributing to it.

I got the Flatpak working. I had to do terrible things to do it, but it works. Watch this space.

(yeah i'm now fighting flathub bureaucracy to be able to distribute the ****ing thing because flatpak is completely built around a repository middleman model)

So I am currently building a steam deck input control layout that manages to capture most of the useful commands. The fact that each button can have three different bindings is really helping. When I get it finalized I'll probably export it to the free space game on Steam that way future generations can save it as a local control layout and then apply it to whatever the solution ends up being for freespace open.

I had to create a script that would let me run desktop mode for the steam deck as a steam deck game... It was a very simple script and I'll share it here later. So you open up the normal desktop mode from Steam gaming mode and then you click on the Knossos app and launch it from there. This allows you to have full access to all of the steam controller bindings that make this game much more playable.

Currently the new problem that I'm facing is that the sound only works some of the time. I find that I have to turn off and then turn on whatever sound device I'm using, whether it be onboard speakers or Bluetooth headphones, and then just keep launching and closing the game until it starts with sound. The sound source selection in Knossos only has "Jack" as an option and I'm not really sure if that's just a weird Linux work around for sound sources... If anybody has any ideas of how to get the sound working more consistently or predictably I would appreciate any help.

My feeling is that you're better off treating that as a Steam Deck issue first and a Knossos/FSO issue second — FSO is essentially a normal SDL application when it comes to audio output, whereas Linux audio configuration can get notoriously complicated.

In reviewing other reported bugs, it looks like this is a known issue for steam deck OS. There are a bunch of people who have tried to run emulators or other programs in desktop mode that have caused similar problems. In case anyone else looks here, I'll keep updates to me solving this problem here.

On a slightly related note, has there been much discussion about pushing free space open via the Steam workshop system? I figure they're probably has been a ton of discussion I just didn't dig through and find it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 12:19:43 am by delta_5-1 »

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
FSO on the steam workshop is basically legally impossible unless some benevolent billionaire buys interplay and volition and then donates freespace to the public domain, or some similarly unlikely circumstance
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Good News!

I was able to get the audio to work consistently. I had to click on the speaker icon on the taskbar and pin it so that it always stays open. That kept it from switching audio devices and that works every time.

(yeah i'm now fighting flathub bureaucracy to be able to distribute the ****ing thing because flatpak is completely built around a repository middleman model)

Have you had any luck with the flat pack route?? Steam just push an update to their OS and it completely ruined my fix. So I think that for a long-term solution, I'll either need to create a script that I can run every single time to set it back up, or encourage somebody or pay them to do a flat pack.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
FSO on the steam workshop is basically legally impossible unless some benevolent billionaire buys interplay and volition and then donates freespace to the public domain, or some similarly unlikely circumstance

The age old win-win scenario.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Well I'm not a billionaire, but I'll still throw more than just the original bounty at anyone who gets the flat-pack or whatever on the discovery store for Linux. Now that I have played Freespace on a Steam Deck, I cannot live without it.

Soooo...

Steam updated their OS, and i had to go back and reinstall Knossos.
I had to fix some of the keys for fakeroot, the "sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel git python-pip' command was a pain, had to google about 6 different errors to get it fixed, and I regret not documenting what I did.

I had do delete the old fakeroot
cd /etc/ld.so.conf.d/
sudo rm fakeroot.conf
I had to fix some keys:
sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring

Honestly, there were just a lot of errors and can't remember them all, but I could google them. After doing a fresh install of Knossos, it opened back up with all my mods and settings, so that's a win in the short term.

Flatpack distribution is still the long term steam deck fix.  :banghead: :banghead:

For those following, I updated my first post with a comprehensive guide. Hopefully somebody will get to test it to make sure it works elsewhere. It no longer requires a reservation to buy a Steam Deck.

Offline 5thAce

I'll give this a try later today and report back on how it works!

UPDATE: It's working! I'll need to look into modifying the control layout but so far so good.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:49:45 pm by 5thAce »