Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 378353 times)

Offline Nighteyes

Re: Cutscene Upgrade [Updated: FMV Previews] (56kers be warned!)
easy, in after effects you can use the plugin called Knoll Light Factory, there you can adjust the light the light source size, and the flare dosn't turn off completly

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm, we don't have Knoll at the studio... I would find it hard to believe it has more features than Kramer's Optical Flares... I guess I'll have to check it out.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Could you just hack it in? Like, manually adjust the flare size based on the asteroid's position, just scrub through the scene from the camera's POV and manipulate the curve.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
Ah, I get what you were saying. I have been trying to fix that, but the short explanation is that when the *direct* light is blocked, the flare goes out. I have tried keyframing the light's position as it gets covered but that looks weird. I have also tried using multiple flares which looks worse. Short of manually drawing the flare for each frame, there just doesn't seem to be a good way to pull this off.

hi,
:)
im glad that i can it show to you.
yeah that was what i think too, but without the right words in english is hard the hit it :).
aye, i think then its look as the lightsource is moving, but maybe can you edit the intensive and the diameter of it, per keyframe?
so that if the asteriod begin to block it get brighter and greater?
only a idea, dont know if it work, havnt any experience with rendering :(.

@castor: the problem is, thats there are more asteriods they are fly "through" the sun. you you have to make all asteriods bigger, they cause the problem, i think its then a bit wired too, if all asteriods are so big *scratch*

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
@castor: the problem is, thats there are more asteriods they are fly "through" the sun. you you have to make all asteriods bigger, they cause the problem, i think its then a bit wired too, if all asteriods are so big *scratch*
Yea, I guess you have a point, there wouldn't be much else than rocks left to see.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
yeah, but if the asteriods have some pictures on it, ähm moment nevermind, thats not free for kids :wakka:
:D

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sad to say that I'm not impressed with Knoll. It has the same features as Optical Flares but is way more expensive.
Also, it's source size works the exact same way as OF. A larger source size gives these results.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Nighteyes

hmm I thought it would be different... but I guess OF is built around the same things as Knoll, as Knoll been around for a while now while OF is pretty new...
you can try rendering a pass of the sun, and add a very intence glow with a low radius to make the glow "engulf" most of the asteroid as it passes by...

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
it didnt look so bad, only maybe a little bit to bright.
the only real thing that disturibing is that the lensflare is render over the asteriod.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just a request: if/when you do cutscenes that take place in a known system (e.g. FS1 Intro in Ross 128), could you use proper sizing/coloring for the star(s)?  Ross 128, for example, is a brown dwarf, which should have cast a nice, eerie red light had [V] done their research.  I've noticed the mediavps trying to get star coloring corrected when redoing mission backgrounds.  It'd be nice to have cutscenes to match.  :nod:
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll do it if the info is given to me and it looks good. If you want to go through the cutscenes and just bullet point that stuff out, I'll give it a shot.

Offline CaptJosh

Ok, HOLY CRAP! Those remade Ancients cut scenes look GORGEOUS. Well done. And the Endgame cut scene preview looks like a good start. I'm thinking that, from FS1, the hardest one to redo is going to be the hallfight. The articulation of humanoid models, and the Shivans as well...not easily done. But don't let that stop you.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'll do it if the info is given to me and it looks good. If you want to go through the cutscenes and just bullet point that stuff out, I'll give it a shot.

I think there's been enough of that in the Media VPs. I think you should just try and emulate the original look and feel of the cutscenes; dramatically altering the lighting scheme there would not be a great improvement, even if it's more astronomically accurate.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Give the man a hand. I think he's earned it.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ok, I'm pretty sure I have updated all the previews on Vimeo to my most recent work. Have a look at Ancients 4. I had to do a complex workaround a Multi Iris and whatnot. But I think it helped to fix the issue quite a bit.

On all of them I worked on the nebulas by adding areas of brightness and areas of darkness.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Ok, I'm pretty sure I have updated all the previews on Vimeo to my most recent work. Have a look at Ancients 4. I had to do a complex workaround a Multi Iris and whatnot. But I think it helped to fix the issue quite a bit.

On all of them I worked on the nebulas by adding areas of brightness and areas of darkness.

New Ancients 4 looks awesome, much improved IMO.   :pimp:

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey

hi,
yeah impressive work dude with 4 :) look stunning (and i need sunglasses :D ) and if i see correctly you add motion blur to the asteriods?

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.

Yes 4 is way better now .. still I think the effect of obstructing the sunlight is a liitle too pronounced and also still looks a little  jerky animated especially on the first asteroid passing by, but this can be regarded hairsplitting... I'll take them as they come!  :yes:

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Yes, good job fixing the lighting issue.

I can't wait for Endgame. :D
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, I kept going back to fix little issues here and there, but I'm currently happy with the state of Ancients 1-5. I'm working only on EndGame right now. I have even put my Terran modeling aside. Gotta have priorities you know? (Though I'm quite anxious to work on FS1 Intro...  ;7 )

Also, I'm not sure why, but the game will not play my cutscenes. (to test I just named ancients4 to intro). I took the original ancients4 and changed the name to intro and it played as the intro, but it won't play my versions.

They are in .ogg, however they were originally converted to .ogv and I simply changed the file extension. Could that be the issue? I'll be honest, I couldn't find software that straight made an .ogg file that contained audio and video.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:02:42 am by mjn.mixael »