Author Topic: Civ V  (Read 15829 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
there's an AC total conversion mod for Civ IV

Wait, seriously? With the videos and everything?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Whoah, cool. Downloaded in an instant! :yes:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

People actually like Alpha Centauri? I played it for about an hour and lost interest. Though I think my favourite civ is still civ1. That's the only game where I read the historical information. I think the **** graphics have a certain charm that the newer ones lack. Though it sucked losing a battleship to a phalanx.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
People actually like Alpha Centauri? I played it for about an hour and lost interest. Though I think my favourite civ is still civ1. That's the only game where I read the historical information. I think the **** graphics have a certain charm that the newer ones lack. Though it sucked losing a battleship to a phalanx.

loved it though yer Civ 1 tops it.  i also had the Alien crossfire expansion but it didnt add a great deal of note (though the sea faction was cool)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
People actually like Alpha Centauri? I played it for about an hour and lost interest.

I think it's commonly considered the best of the series, I-V inclusive.

People actually like Alpha Centauri? I played it for about an hour and lost interest.

Really? I always thought it was weird. Fighting slime or some crap. Though people prefer MOO2 to 1 and I don't understand why because I thought 2 was crap myself. I still got AC around maybe I'll pop it back in sometime.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

More or less. I think the AI for IV was better at handling military bits and the V setup handles culture/borders in a far less annoying manner than IV does.

But AC was the last of the pure 4X setups without resources and the first of them to use borders in a meaningful way, so it stands at a transition point between landgrab (which is what 4x is all about anyways) and scrambling because the AI can see unrevealed resources.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

[With the videos and everything?
No. You have to manually import the art and sound, though you can do so. Provided you have the original disc, or a, um, facsimile thereof. I'd rather just straight play the original.

For my money, SMAC is superior because it has actual goddamn personality, something every other iteration sorely lacks. I love the tech and building and wonder quotes, whereas the quotes in III-V are painfully earnest and deadly dull. Leonard Nimoy cannot compete with Colonel Santiago, or Chairman Yang, or CEO Morgan, or whoever.

Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours--the works. People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.

vs

"Where tillage begins, other arts follow. The farmers therefore are the founders of human civilization"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:34:15 pm by mxlm »
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I agree that Leonard Nimoy totally phoned in his lines for Civ IV, but the guy doing V isn't terribad.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Right, but it's basically devoid of personality. Oh, sure, he puts some emotion into his lines, but it's nowhere near SMAC's level. They did a fair bit of world building and character development in those quotes, and random, vaguely topical one-liners just aren't as good.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

I loved how AC managed to put you into this deep story while at the same time conforming to however the current game was going.

I always like using the gaians to unleash cheap mind worm hordes to sweep over aggresive factions while an elite human force tagged behind to take and hold key cities/locations.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Alpha Centauri rocked the party. Mind worms 4tw :yes:

Just played the mod with my brother and it feels almost like the original :nod:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline newman

Planet busters ftw. AC rocked.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I agree that Leonard Nimoy totally phoned in his lines for Civ IV, but the guy doing V isn't terribad.

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep.

:D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

I had such a  :wtf: when I researched that tech for the first time.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline newman

I laughed at that, actually - considering sputnik 1 was originally supposed to have all sorts of scientific apparatus installed and it ended up being a machine that goes ping.. well, beep :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

Inspiration for the Uhlan?
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Firaxis should have gotten Mr. T to do the quotes.  Sure, every quote would have "foo" in it at least once, but at least it would be characterful.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Inspiration for the Uhlan?

Looks like a Hammerhead from Space: Above and Beyond
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns