Author Topic: The HLP Pet Thread  (Read 3912 times)

The HLP Pet Thread
Hey, fellas! I've just created this thread for us to discuss our household companions. I own a small companion, a Pomeranian (Joey, as we would call him). Don't let his size fool you, that little bugger can be too playful at times. He usually hangs out in the living room, would watch Netflix with my brother, and then play catch in the backyard during the afternoon. As a precautionary measure though, we would fit him with one of those bark collars, as he would yap uncontrollably while having fun, just enough to drive our neighbors mad. Overall, he's a good tyke and obviously has been a family to us these past few years. How about you guys? What four (or many) legged creatures do you own?

Probable Spam Link Removed
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:00:30 pm by Axem »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This is my girl, Chopin.

She was a street dog abandoned at only 3 weeks old. My ex girlfriend found her along with a brother or sister in a box under a litter bin. Someone took her sibling but couldn't take two dogs. No one wanted her and even when my ex tried to look for people to adopt her everyone thought she was too ugly. I guess I got the last laugh because now everyone keeps asking me what breed she is and how much I paid for her. We have a tradition in the family to name dogs after musicians and Chopin is one of the few classical composers which can be said in Chinese without transliteration.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I approve of this thread :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
We have fish - an ever-diminishing number of small-bodied tropical varieties (we're down to four from a max population of 11 a few years ago).  And two snails, and a freshwater shrimp.  Amusingly, the snails are new replacements for our previous zebra snail, who quit moving and died randomly one day, which I thought was odd until I discovered that the average zebra snail lifespan is 1-2 years.  S/he was over FOUR.  So now we joke about our former geraitric snail and how our new ones are young whippersnappers the way they race about the tank.  I've had to do very little algae removal since we got them.

The tank is getting retired when its occupants eventually die, as we'd like to get a dog in the next year or so.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
@Karajorma your dog is something else. SO FLUFFY.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
We have fish - an ever-diminishing number of small-bodied tropical varieties (we're down to four from a max population of 11 a few years ago).  And two snails, and a freshwater shrimp.  Amusingly, the snails are new replacements for our previous zebra snail, who quit moving and died randomly one day, which I thought was odd until I discovered that the average zebra snail lifespan is 1-2 years.  S/he was over FOUR.  So now we joke about our former geraitric snail and how our new ones are young whippersnappers the way they race about the tank.  I've had to do very little algae removal since we got them.

The tank is getting retired when its occupants eventually die, as we'd like to get a dog in the next year or so.

Hey mp-ryan, I was hoping to get Plecostomus and/or snails myself someday, since I heard they keep the tank real clean. Are snails low-maintenance?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The only thing lower maintenance than a snail would be paying someone to come clean your tank for you.  They're great.  Notably, the zebra snails did not even lay eggs in the tank, while at least one of these red onion snails is laying everywhere.  Nerite snails egss won't hatch in freshwater though (they need brackish to reproduce) so it's just a slight cleaning issue rather than anything more concerning.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Snarks

Scruby, featuring beam eyes.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Looks like a right scamp. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
My girl, Ardan.

Adopted during my military service. Her name is miltary jargon for 'all's well, relax', originating from a psychotropic antidepressant the army shrinks would hand out to depressed and suicidal enlisted men back in the day.

She was found near a military outpost where I would be stationed for weeks on end, after a massive wildfire ravaged the surrounding landscape and most of the nearby villages. She had a collar, but no tag or chip, so we adopted her as a guard-dog (for which she displayed an excellent instinct, being fiercely possessive of us). Once, she bit onto the boot of a corporal who was playfully roughousing with one of 'her boys' and hung on for dear life (thankfully the corporal was a good sport about it, and even praised her for her courage) ; several more times she warned us of incoming patrol checks by barking like mad, something for which we adored her.

Then autumn came, and we started getting massive rains; and we only had an adapted shipping container to sleep in in the outpost, and there was no way we could let a stray sleep with us (the senior non-com would throw a fit). So, poor Artane was having a lot of trouble finding shelter. Things came to a head when she panicked and tried to sneak into the container after a night of particularly torrential rainfall, at which point I spent the entirety of my two-hour watch taking care of the poor animal, drying her out with one of my T-shirts and keeping her under my poncho. Two days later, I woke up to find her curled around my boots, something that she refused to do for any other soldier. A few days later, I was recalled to the main barracks for a week or so - when she realised I was leaving, she followed the military truck for six kilometres, crying all the way. We were both very happy to see each other in the outpost when I returned... :)

After my service term came to an end, nobody else had expressed any desire to take care of her, so I bit the bullet. She's been with the family ever since and she's everyone's darling.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:17:35 pm by Enioch »
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Axem

So this was brought to our attention: https://www.wjunction.com/threads/aside-from-programming-gaming-etc-what-are-your-other-hobbies.223031/

Very similar post, same picture, different dog's name. Your post history on the forum is also pretty... non-committal? Just making passing comments in a few threads to get enough visibility so this new topic doesn't seem so out of place?

Do you have any sort of explanation for this?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Any response?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snarks

This whole thread is fairly benign and the poster (even if a robot) doesn't seem to be spamming. Yet, it's a little bizarre.  :confused:

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
WTF.

At least every one of the spammer lives in Tampa, Florida.

And i actually was thinking about to post picture about some other pet here.

But well, after this story i think a picture less post is better, because who knows how a picture would be used...

There is only one woman i can jealous of, the cat of my husband which is already 16 years old. But well, she is simply more importantly for him than me. Unfortunately it is not a very happy story, because she never liked me. Even she become calmer during the last years. I am still not allowed to caress her or to get even in the near, when my husband is cuddling with her. Even if her Pet Bowl and drinking trough was empty, she had prefered to starve instead to eating or to drink anything i am offering her. It always has to be him which give her food and water.
This is the point where she become calmer... today she is atleast asking me, if i can refill her food and water and she is drinking and eating it, if he is out of home.

The only other thing she likes about me in the past, that i have opened the door, so that she can go outside.

So it was never a really good relationship between us two. Despite all attempts he tried.

And well, i do not think that i had improved my relationship with her recently, because i oversaw her at night and stepped on her per accident.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:19:20 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Snarks

After checking all the links on those sites, it seems like a clever marketing bot for this pet street mall website. I don't think it's anything more than that. I suppose we could split off the thread to remove the OP but keep the basic premise, or just ignore that this is a thread started by a bot?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I see no harm in keeping this particular thread alive, despite its origins. Just be aware that if your pet's name is also an answer to a security challenge, you should alter it in your post here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Well in that case, I have been wanting to say: That ain't no pomeranian. I've had poms, that's no pom. Looks more like a yorkshire terrier or similar.

OK so this is Bob. He's an outdoor cat who hangs out at my parents house. He doesn't afraid of anything.

And this is my kitten, Raven. I adopted her very, very young, and had to feed her formula with a dropper. Here she is, helping with my laundry.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
We are a dog household too. :) These two gents are Chewbacca (Brown Labradoodle) and Toby (Whitish Cavoodle).

TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Massive canine household as any of you I know from Facebook will testify to.   Pics to follow.

Three collie variants and a dog that we saved from kabul.   Was a street dog for 2 years and has confirmed kills.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png