Author Topic: BP: Age of Aquarius - The Director's Cut discussion  (Read 139781 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: BP: Age of Aquarius - The Director's Cut discussion
I've never played it, but what's wrong with Twilight?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The best answer to that is: "just play it and tell me what you thought!"

The campaign is kind of incoherent, has technical elements which are not well implemented, etc. It's not a good example of the Cold Element continuity in the opinions of most of the people I've conversed with about it.

That said, the BP continuity is exponentially better.  :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline -Norbert-

BP is very story-driven. As Battuta has said before, BP isn't for everybody. If your lack of attention leads you to not appreciating the fusion of in-depth storyline and gameplay, you may be better off playing another mod like Warzone or SGWP2.
So...you want to explain to us why you're pairing a very well-made campaign with the eternal community joke in your alternate recommendations? :p
Warzone's not that good?
"The eternal community joke" is the SGWP2 (second great war part two), not warzones...
Warzones is nice, apart from having too many suns that completely white-out the screen.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
So...you want to explain to us why you're pairing a very well-made campaign with the eternal community joke in your alternate recommendations? :p

I didn't pair them up. I was citing examples of other campaigns that focus more on blowing stuff up.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
On short attention span versus appreciation, well, frankly I can go either way. Bunch of factors that I don't wish to mention because wall-of-text diatribes "aren't good things."

I was quite surprised that Earth rendered correctly even with the ho-humble Intel GMA45... lol... well I lagged HORRIBLY at the classic OLD WEST HIGH NOON SHOOTOUTS anyway LOL but I thought that was worth mentioning. XD. Still it's hard when you try not to do the Balor/Treb/Maxim spam.

*stops self from further thread derailing*
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline -Norbert-

And now for something completely different.

Could it be that Bei wasn't actually contacted by the Vishnans befre? He says something about Vishnans having contact with him "through time". Maybe when the Vishnans made mental contact the Human mind couldn't quite cope with the input from the non-linear minds of the Vishnans and misinterpreted some things to have happened in Beis past, when it really wasn't the case.

He never mentiones any feelings of precognition or familiarity with the situation untill the Vishnans make contact.
If he really did have prior contact to the Vishnans, why is he so surprised to see them both in the nebula and when they saved the Temaraire in "Preserving the Balance" (not that it needed saving.... I tried deleting the Vishnans out of that mission just for fun, and the battlegroup beat the second Shivan wave without a problem)?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

Could it be that Bei wasn't actually contacted by the Vishnans befre? He says something about Vishnans having contact with him "through time". Maybe when the Vishnans made mental contact the Human mind couldn't quite cope with the input from the non-linear minds of the Vishnans and misinterpreted some things to have happened in Beis past, when it really wasn't the case.

He never mentiones any feelings of precognition or familiarity with the situation untill the Vishnans make contact.
If he really did have prior contact to the Vishnans, why is he so surprised to see them both in the nebula and when they saved the Temaraire in "Preserving the Balance" (not that it needed saving.... I tried deleting the Vishnans out of that mission just for fun, and the battlegroup beat the second Shivan wave without a problem)?

...does the second wave even have any attack orders?

Also, what difficulty were you playing on? :p

Anyway, interpretations are good. Basically you're suggesting that the Vishnans communications with Sam caused a massive déjà vu. Maybe that was the case; maybe it was not. Does it even matter at all?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

A very interesting hypothesis. However I do want to point out that this:

is quite false. Replay the early missions of the campaign and pay close attention, particularly when Sam boards the Duke.

Offline -Norbert-

I don't remember that one too clearly, but the Vishnans quite clearly had mental contact with that ship. Maybe he felt some residue, or maybe that was the first time they tried to make contact.
But because they ended up frying the brains of the Dukes crew, they approached Bei so carefully that it didn't leave any more than impressions at first. And from there they worked their way up, till they could place visions and dreams and eventually make full contact, without harming him.

And yes, the Shivans do have attack orders and are beam-freed. One Ravana is set for the Orestes, the other and the Demon are set to attack the Sanctuary. But they are so far away that you have plenty of time to take down their beams and it was on medium I think.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
And yes, the Shivans do have attack orders and are beam-freed. One Ravana is set for the Orestes, the other and the Demon are set to attack the Sanctuary. But they are so far away that you have plenty of time to take down their beams and it was on medium I think.

Temeraire, I should hope. :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline -Norbert-

Yep right... the Temeraire of course.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The fact they are not set to launch any fighter support must quite hamper their efficiency though, especially given that you have ample time to desarm them. Were the Vishnans not to come that early in the battle, the Shivans would surely have swarmed the few fighters you ahve left with their fighter/bomber compliments.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, the bomber complement probably waiting in the wings would have swamped your ships pretty easily.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I finally had the time and sit down and play through half of the new release today, and now I wish I had been able to a week sooner.  The voicework adds an immense amount of atmosphere; it's incredibly top-notch work across the board.  Both the community members and actors from other sources turned in fantastic performances, and the result adds an amazing amount of humanity to the story's progression.  The reams of new tech room data only add to that immersion; I especially like how you provided background info for the older FS2-era turret and beam weaponry.  I admittedly only played the original version once right after its release, so I doubt I've picked up on every small improvement, but the visual changes I do recognize are all good stuff.  Darius's original creation was something unique in the whole spectrum of FS modding, and the team's work in contributing to this re-release has made it all the better. :)

(Forced Entry was a bit hairy this time around, though it was mostly my own fault.  I lost track of what one or two of the wings were doing, and I didn't get them on protecting the Temeraire right after it jumped in.  As a result, it managed to limp away with all of 3% hull remaining...and that was just on Easy, too. :p)

For my own part, I was never entirely sure which sample submissions of mine you wound up using, so I've been keeping an ear out as I played to find out when I'd show up.  Imagine my surprise when I hear myself playing three or four Generic Wingmen in the same mission. :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
YOU HAVE BETRAYED SECRET MONGOOSE WING

Offline FoxtrotTango

• "...in a way, you've stolen his soul."
My word, my Southern flair truly has resulted in a respectfully flattering depiction of Commander Tell. This revamped campaign truly is as wonderful as Battuta has told.

I've still got Forced Entry to look forward to, but I'm glad that I've finally had a chance to play the new version. I've been away from the HLP for a while to settle some business elsewhere, but playing this again is restoring my passion anew. I do declare.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
YOU HAVE BETRAYED SECRET MONGOOSE WING
You saw nuzzing!  Nuzzing!

:nervous:

On another note, I really appreciate the tweaks made to Keepers of Hell.  It's become a mission that a new player has a legitimate shot at beating the first time through, instead of something that requires prescience.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:53:18 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Were the names...

Spoiler:
...for the beams...

...generated at random?
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Battuta possesses a random name generator in gray matter that inhabits his skull.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wow...I'd forgotten just how intense Universal Truth was.  It managed to kill me the first time through because I was being stupid, but even when I wound up making it through, I was at 33% hull, and the Orestes was hovering somewhere in the 20s.  (Those two Rakshasas that jump in a good ways in are evil.)  It still makes for an amazing climax of the campaign.

So yeah, like I said before, this was just amazing.  I have to give special recognition to the actor who played Samuel Bei, as he did a fantastic job of imbuing the character with a great deal of humanity and sympathy.  On the community side of things, Ransom did his usual excellent work as Corey, and the good Colonol was smashing as the Orestes' comm officer.  Fun to see that Darius got a little author cameo right at the end, too.  Great work all-around, everyone. :)

(Also, I chuckled a bit when I saw myself in the credits, as I had this three-line blob of text consisting of seven or eight bit parts.  I guess auditioning for every random pilot line pays off. :D)