-Three 8 oz Chicken Breasts
-3/4 cup bread crumbs
-3/4 cup ground parmesan cheese
-1 tsp rosemary
-1 tsp seasoning salt
-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
-2 eggs
-2 cups brown rice
-4 tsp or 2 sachets of powdered Chicken stock and 4 cups water (or liquid stock equivalent)
-1 tbsp butter or margarine

Prep Time:  About 10 minutes.
Cook Time:  About 25 minutes.

Instructions:

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (sorry, even Canada still uses Fahrenheit on our ovens).
-Spray a large flat baking sheet with cooking spray or rub with olive or canola oil.
-Drain the whites from the eggs into a small bowl.  Mix with a fork.
-Add bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, rosemary, seasoning salt, and pepper into another bowl and mix throroughly.
-Slice chicken breasts into strips 1.5-2 inches wide and 3-4 inches long.  You should get about 4 strips per breast.
-Dip each chicken strip in the egg white, then roll in the bread crumb mixture.  Coat it thoroughly.
-Place each strip on the baking sheet.  Chicken doesn't expand when it cooks, so you can place the pieces quite close together.
-Place the loaded sheet into the oven and set a timer for 10 minutes.
-Melt the butter/margarine in a frying pan on the stovetop with the burner on medium-high heat.
-Add the rice.
-Heat the rice, stirring continuously to coat in margarine.  You will hear the rice start to "pop" as it heats.
-Once the rice has started to make popping sounds, add 4 cups of water+ chicken stock powder or 4 cups of liquid chicken stock.
-Cook rice on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
-When the oven timer beeps, flip the chicken strips over and then bake for another 10 minutes.  Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (23 minutes at 375 is safe if you don't have a meat thermometer, but possibly slightly overdone)

Serve chicken on a bed of rice with a side salad (we like spinach+tomatoes+red pepper+carrots).

Feeds 4 adults.

Herra Tohtori:
I would totally add something here but I've kinda stopped doing things by recipes. Following the thread with great interest though, in case something comes to mind I'll post it.

FreeSpaceFreak:
Insalata Caprese

1. Slice tomatoes, arrange on plate
2. Slice mozzarella cheese, arrange on tomatoes
3. Pick fresh basil leaves, arrange on mozzarella (the 'fresh' part is important)
4. Sprinkle with a little olive oil
5. Profit! Possibly the best taste/effort ratio of any up-front/entree anywhere :)

Mongoose:
I should dig up the family recipe for baked beans.  Kicks the hell out of any canned crap out there.

headdie:
I tend not to cook by recipes too much but this is a simple one that goes down with with our kids

Tomato and Bacon Pasta
Amounts show Feeds our youngish Young family of 4 or about 3 adults

Ingredients
(note amounts are rough/semi-educated guesses as I tend to eyeball them)
250 grams dried pasta
800 grams chopped tomato
dessert spoon Tomato Puree
500 grams of bacon (my preference is sliced rindless smoked)
Optional
1 mid sized onion or equivalent of shallots
herbs for seasoning such as oregano and basil
cheese

Pans
1x 10.25" / 26 cm Wok (I generally prefer Woks to skillet/frying pans for most cooking)
1x 7.5" / 19 cm saucepan
(Note if you use a skillet/frying pan instead of the Wok then i recommend will need a large saucepan to follow the last step unless you want to serve separately)

Method

* Fill saucepan with enough water to cover the pasta and place on high heat to start boiling
* Roughly Chop the Bacon into smallish pieces, perhaps 1-2 cm

* Place the Wok on a high heat and place the bacon inside
 - (I tend to dry fry the bacon but if you want to use a little oil here there is no problem with that)
 - (if you want onion in the dish I would recommend frying it at this point either with the bacon or in a separate pan and introduce along with the next step)
* Once the bacon has cooked reduce the heat to moderate to high heat (we use 4 on the scale to 6 on our cooker) introduce the chopped tomato and tomato puree
 - (If using herbs this would be the best time to introduce them)
* Once the saucepan starts to boil add the pasta
* Stir the bacon pasta occasionally to prevent sticking
* Once the Pasta is *just* cooked to your liking drain it off and add to the tomato bacon
* stir the mixture for a couple more minutes under a gentle to moderate heat to allow the tomato to cover the pasta
* Serve and if desired grate over some cheese to taste
If you want, the flavour of the tomato bacon will mature if prepared a little in advance, especially with herbs in the mix, in this case leave preparing the pasta until closer to serving so that it is fresh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version