Author Topic: Trouble running Mods  (Read 8681 times)

Try open al soft instead of creative open al?

Where do I do that? If it's in the FSO launcher,  video tab and graphics, I only have OpenGl as a drop down choice.

Graphics and audio drivers are up to date.

Did you see what niffiwan said?

Your log suggests you have a recent 200 series Radeon video card? That should be fine to play FSO on max settings.  Maybe you're still running the debug executable?  If you are then switch back to the "release" executable and it should run fine.

Look into this first by checking which .exe your launcher is using. If this isn't the culprit, then we will look into other things (such as showing you how to switch to the other OpenAL - it's not in the launcher, nor does it have anything to do with FreeSpace).
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline XDPD7

I'm running fs2_open_3_6_17_SSE2_BP.exe

I'm running fs2_open_3_6_17_SSE2_BP.exe

Oh. Use FreeSpace Installer to get 3.7.2 RC4. Then, switch to it in your launcher.

Offline XDPD7

I get errors if i run fred2_open_3_7_2_RC4 or fred2_open_3_7_2_RC4_SSE

Attached debug file.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Try open al soft instead of creative open al?

Where do I do that? If it's in the FSO launcher,  video tab and graphics, I only have OpenGl as a drop down choice.

Graphics and audio drivers are up to date.

Did you see what niffiwan said?

Your log suggests you have a recent 200 series Radeon video card? That should be fine to play FSO on max settings.  Maybe you're still running the debug executable?  If you are then switch back to the "release" executable and it should run fine.

Look into this first by checking which .exe your launcher is using. If this isn't the culprit, then we will look into other things (such as showing you how to switch to the other OpenAL - it's not in the launcher, nor does it have anything to do with FreeSpace).

Still the same problem. Lowered the resolution to 1280x720, no improvement.

:P

Although I didn't realize he was running the BP2 build.

Don't play with this unless niffiwan & TwoCables advise you to, but the OpenAL Soft can be read about in this thread.

EDIT: (from the log)

Code: [Select]
WARNING: "Weapon explosion 'MS_Impact' does not have an LOD0 anim!" at weapons.cpp:181
Int3(): From d:\fso\scp bp branch\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1371

Weapon explosion MS Impact?  That's a font..  :wtf:[/code]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:24:58 pm by jr2 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
fs2_open_3_6_17_SSE2_BP.exe
Under no circumstances ever use that build again. It has a well-known pilot corruption bug that you do not want to have to deal with.

WARNING: "Weapon explosion 'MS_Impact' does not have an LOD0 anim!" at weapons.cpp:181
Int3(): From d:\fso\scp bp branch\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1371
This is a Warning, not an Error; if you hit "no", FSO will continue running until it finds another problem. That being said, you might find it a lot simpler to just use the FSO Installer to get the latest release of Blue Planet, which will presumably have fewer bugs and works with the 2014 MediaVPs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Attached debug file.

Fred2 is mission editor, try fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4
And do you have files in mediavps_3612? Because I don't see them at all in log. Run again FreeSpaceOpenInstaller or download files from link.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:57:27 am by tomimaki »

Attached debug file.

Fred2 is mission editor, try fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4
And do you have files in mediavps_3612? Because I don't see them at all in log. Run again FreeSpaceOpenInstaller or download files from link.

He said that his MediaVPs 3.6.12 folder only has one file in it:

I have 2 "mediavp" folders in game directory. "mediavps_3612" which only had MV_RadarIcons.vp and "mediavps_2014" which has all .vp files excluding MV_RadarIcons.vp.

Attached debug file.

I didn't say to use the FreeSpace editor (FRED). I said to use the GAME's .exe. Use the .exe named "fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe". Then, in the "MOD" tab of your launcher, select the Blue Planet mod (either "blueplanet" or "blueplanet2", whichever one you're trying to play).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:19:18 pm by TwoCables »

Yes, XDPD7 said it, then you wrote that he should download mediavps_3612.
Later XDPD7 posted log which shows no signs of needed files in mediavps_3612.
So I wrote that he should download mediavps_3612.
I don't get it... :wtf:

Offline XDPD7

I tried both fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe and fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4_SSE.exe. I see the FS splash screen, before the game defaults back to the desktop with an error window. Must click "ok" multiple times in order to get passed all the errors. Once in the game, I have another error window with the same error message I started this thread. At least, there's no more lag or stuttering when I begin the campaigns, however, the games freeze, especially BP2.

MediaVPs_2014 & mediavps_3612 folders have all required files.

We're almost there  :)

Attached new debug logs.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
bp-shp.tbm(line 222): Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:] or [$Name], found [$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow_10:1,2" "blue_glow4_small_15:].
You either need the BP Compatibility package for the outdated version of Blue Planet you're using, or you need to install the latest release of Blue Planet which won't have that problem.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline bloated

just wanted to add that I'm having the same problem and it appears the source is the same as well, when I did the open install the radaricons file failed.

and now any attempts to launch mods is failing along with the 2014media vp's.

the 3.6 media vp's folder is fine as is the original FS2 campaign but the rest is non functional.

Offline XDPD7

BP Compatibility package fixed my remaining issues. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
just wanted to add that I'm having the same problem and it appears the source is the same as well, when I did the open install the radaricons file failed.

and now any attempts to launch mods is failing along with the 2014media vp's.

the 3.6 media vp's folder is fine as is the original FS2 campaign but the rest is non functional.
Delete the corrupted MV_RadarIcons.vp file.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline bloated

switching to 3.7.2 RC4 (suggested by two cables) & deleting corrupted Radar Icons media vp fixed the issue.

thx.