Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Some interesting ideas here:

FreeSpace Discussion / Re: Make Botnik's AI write a mission briefing!
« Last post by Goober5000 on June 20, 2018, 06:02:16 am »
Yeah, I'm a bit underwhelmed.  It's not really AI if it's the user clicking words.
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: Who wrote FS1?
« Last post by Goober5000 on June 20, 2018, 05:55:57 am »
It was primarily Adam Pletcher.  IIRC one of the SpaceGameJunkie interviews mentioned that it was his idea to make a space game in the first place, and he wrote the story outline.  He's also listed as Lead Game Designer.

Jason Scott must have been involved with Silent Threat though, because he voices his namesake Admiral Scott in the briefings.
FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support / Re: Set frame rate?
« Last post by General Battuta on June 20, 2018, 04:51:14 am »
It's not necessarily a matter of system power - FSO is just a really ****ty inefficient engine and therefore it can bring top end machines to their knees while they boggle and gasp "What? What in ****'s hell is this program asking me to do?"

You should probably be able to hit at least 120 in a blank scene with no action, though...
« Last post by zloaf on June 20, 2018, 02:20:34 am »
I've tried the -no_vsync flag without success. The game still runs at 82 FPS. I have an I7-8700k and 1080ti so it should run it without issue (I know I have a really powerful system and I spend it playing 20 year old games). I also recently acquired a 144 hz 1440p monitor so maybe that higher resolution is the issue?
Inferno / Re: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1
« Last post by JSRNerdo on June 19, 2018, 10:36:21 pm »
Speaking about Corinthos/Trebuchets - Does EA have any analogue to it?

The EA has the Halberd (I believe that's what it's called), but it's not used in R1. In R2 it will murder you, as it's basically a treb combined with an Infyrno and also has kinetic/pushback effects.
« Last post by Spoon on June 19, 2018, 10:14:36 pm »
Ooh, nice.
« Last post by FrikgFeek on June 19, 2018, 05:26:05 pm »
The Inferno AI_Profiles.tbl has both $smart primary weapon selection: and $smart secondary weapon selection: set to YES, which fixes these issues. Additionally, the Corinthos does not have the "Huge" flag, meaning you won't be able to kill destroyer-size ships by spamming it while rearming for 5 minutes. It'll still deal full subsystem damage, but that damage is almost 3 times lower than that of the Stiletto 3, unlike the retail Trebuchet which dealt higher subsystem damage than the Stiletto 2.
« Last post by mr.WHO on June 19, 2018, 04:57:50 pm »
So there are two contradicting flags that confuse AI, correct?

Is this also a case for Inferno Corinthos?
« Last post by FrikgFeek on June 19, 2018, 04:30:18 pm »
By default, AI can't use trebuchets because of how missile logic works. The trebuchet has the "bomber +" flag, which makes the AI prefer to use it against bombers and never uses it against capital ships. It also has the "Huge"(yes, Huge is a weapon flag while "Big Damage" is a ship flag, don't think about it too hard) flag which makes it able to kill destroyers and also makes the AI only ever use it against capital ships.

So the AI can't ever fire the trebuchet. However with FuryAI this problem can be fixed using the "Smart secondary weapon selection" flag, this is what BP uses to get its AI to fire trebs(and you'll have to dodge quite a few of those in WiH).

You can change the retail AI_profiles table to let AI use trebs in FS2, however this totally breaks the game. Maras and Basilisks carry trebuchets by default and their loadouts are very rarely edited so you'll be dealing with massive trebuchet storms as soon as the Shivans show up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10