Author Topic: FS2_Launcher OS X 3.0  (Read 118396 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't think you can. Leave the space out and it should work fine.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
Af far as the problem that blowfish mentioned, I think I have found the source of the problem. I will release an update in the next few days that rectifies the problem. Chief, I would like the output of the system.log in the Console application, not the output of the crash reporter. The system.log output also displays text output from the application itself, that's why I need it, in case I am able to reproduce the problem on my machine.
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, I can't be certain but I think it was related to the use of a case-sensitive HFS+ install instead of the default case-folding filesystem.  I reformatted over the weekend and started over, and I haven't had a single issue yet.  Launcher has been working fine.  So the only thing I can suggest is watch out for case issues.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline neoterran

There is a subtle bug with the launcher and mods at the moment. There is some way you can get it where the mod that has been applied "sticks" and when you move around and pick another mod, although it chooses it, it doesn't update the list you can see in the drawer. It's rare, but It happened to me with the Freespace Port where I had the mod.ini wrong and I was trying to fix it to no avail.  I worked around it by using the drawer to delete the 'stuck' mod line. When i tried to repeat the behavior it seemed to be working normally.

*this was on 3.0.10, I haven't seen it on 3.0.11 yet*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:51:54 pm by neoterran »
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Soulstorm

Ι have already released the update, which should fix a number of problems. Along with the encoding, I should also take into consideration differences in the ways text files are handled by developers when writting a mod.ini file. The reason why you get so many bugs with the mod.ini parser is because I built that feature on demand. That means that I took some example mod.ini files and built my parser to handle those. Occasionally, I stumble upon a mod.ini file not being handles correctly.

If someone notices it and reports it, I will fix it. If not, then I probably leave it as is. I am not playing freespace 2 anymore, but I do offer support for the Launcher. That's why I always mention that anyone should report any bugs in here, or e-mail me about a problem, since I won't notice it by myself.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, the requirements are pretty lax it seems, as far as the Windows launcher is concerned.  The layout should be something like:

Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = Mod Title;
image255x112 = image.bmp;
infotext     = Mod description text.;
website      = http://website/;
forum        = http://forumssite/;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = ;

[settings]
flags = ;

But as you've probably noticed, almost everything in that is optional.  settings can be completely ommitted, as I'm sure multimod can, and probably launcher too, if for some reason you just wanted multimod and/or settings.  So really, you can define anything you want.  Most lines don't even seem to need to end in semicolons as far as I can tell, secondary can be spelled secondry, the mods list can start with a comma or not, probably any number of commas, etc.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Soulstorm, does the OS X Launcher now recognise "-" in the mod folder? Two releases ago, I had a problem because FSPort released their mediavps folder called fsport-mediavps, and the launcher couldn't recognise the "-", so it used the previously run mod instead.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Soulstorm

Most lines don't even seem to need to end in semicolons as far as I can tell, secondary can be spelled secondry, the mods list can start with a comma or not, probably any number of commas, etc.

That doesn't mean that it's easier to parse. On the contrary, you must take into consideration differences between mod.ini files, and that may lead to problems. That's why I rely on the testers and users to tell me if I have omitted a parameter.

Androgeos Exeunt, I don't think it does. I will check it out and post back to be sure. If it doesn't, I will certainly include that parameter in the next version...

EDIT:I tested it and it works. You can do the test yourself. Rename a valid mod folder to something that contains the '-' character, and launch the Launcher to see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:56:50 am by Soulstorm »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I never said it was easy, I said the requirements are lax.  I didn't mean to imply that made it easier to parse.  I'm aware that kind of inane flexibility makes it all the more difficult to parse.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
So, how do I run campaigns on this? I can't load a .vp file into the Standalone menu.. Can I run campaigns at all on a Mac?
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
So, how do I run campaigns on this? I can't load a .vp file into the Standalone menu.. Can I run campaigns at all on a Mac?

Yes.  You don't run specific vp files, but rather campaign folders.  So selecting a mod from the mod menu will use all of the VPs within that mod's folder.  Just to note, these things usually behave pretty much the same on OSX and Windows...

Offline Sololop

I can't turn anything off.

Like in the Graphics tab, I want to disable stuff like normal and glowmaps, to try and see the effects on performance, but as soon as I close the launcher or run FS, if I re-check, they are enabled again.

I don't know why its doing that...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
In such cases, I usually go to [your username] -> Library -> FS2_Open -> data and open cmdline_fso.cfg with TextEdit. I add the command lines I want, save, quit TextEdit, then lock the file.

It's very complicated and inconvenient, but a stopgap solution nonetheless.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline blowfish

When you uncheck a box, try showing the drawer and refreshing it.  That usually works.

Offline Soulstorm

Re: FS2_Launcher OS X 3.0
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I have my semester exams!

This is a normal behavior, and it is documented! Please, before posting questions, read the online read me. Open your FS2_Launcher application, and go into the help menu.

The command line drawer is not automatically refreshed, but the main window with the checkboxes is! That means that when you check or uncheck a box, you must hit "refresh" on the command line drawer!. But when you change anything in the command line drawer, the main window is automatically updated.

Once again, the correct order to do things is:
1) Check or Uncheck boxes in the main window.
2) Hit refresh on the command line drawer
3) (Optional) Add any custom (maybe undocumented) commands in the command line drawer that are not visible in the main window
4) Run FS2_Open.

I have done it this way in order to facilitate giving custom command line options. If you press a button in the main window, the command line drawer is not refreshed according to the change, because if it did, it would remove every other custom command line option.

Do you think I should change that? How would YOU like it to be done?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:26:42 am by Soulstorm »

Offline blowfish

Rather than adding custom flags to the list of regular ones, I think there should be a separate place to input them.  The launcher would store somewhere what custom flags had been enabled so that it could know to keep them every time the command line options are refreshed.

Offline blowfish

Hmm ... would it be possible to have an option to automatically set the resolution to your display's native resolution?  I think you would use something like:

[[NSScreen mainScreen] frame].size.width

and

[[NSScreen mainScreen] frame].size.height

Offline Soulstorm

I will listen to all recommendations. But I won't do anything before some time has passed. I have accepted to work on a project that requires a lot of effort, and looking into FS2_Launcher is the last thing I need now.

However, bugs are a priority for me. If you spot a bug, I will look into it right away. I usually release a new version with fixes for bugs described in e-mails one or two days after I receive the e-mails, so don't hesitate to send me bug reports.

Hey Soulstorm, I'm having a problem with the Launcher.  When I open it, it does nothing except bounce in the dock a few times and then quits.  I does open every once and a while, but I haven't figured out what causes the difference.  Here's the console log:

4/6/09 8:29:07 PM FS2_Launcher[574] Stack: (
)

4/6/09 8:29:09 PM com.apple.launchd[95] ([0x0-0x73073].com.soulstorm.MMST2_3[574]) Exited abnormally: Trace/BPT trap

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Offline noobdy

Hello, first time i'm using the launcher, and I just noticed that primarylist line from mod.ini files isn't recognized by the launcher, only secondarylist is.

Example: I tried to play "fsport_str" with "fsport_mediavps" using FSOpen 3.6.9 (3.6.10 is too buggy under Tiger for me) and mediavps 3.6.10.
Here's the [multimod] section of "fsport_str" mod:
[multimod]
primarylist = fsport_mediavps;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps;
So, the command line must be:
-mod fsport_mediapvs,fsport_str,fsport,mediavps
If i select "fsport_str" mod, its secondary list of mods are recognized, but "fsport_mediavps" isn't.
Question: is it possible to add the recognition of "primarylist" line in the launcher?

There's a manual solution to resolve the problem though, which is to change the [multimod] section in mod.ini file from "fsport_mediavps" to:
[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport_str,fsport,mediavps;
Then select directly "fsport_mediavps" in the launcher... Ok, but it means that we'll loose the intuition feeling of the launcher... Not so easy for someone who doesn't check the forum everytime ^^

(hum, hope it was understandable, my english language still sucks a bit, sorry again)