Author Topic: WIH Multi Test #2  (Read 17136 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You can definitely join in. Might want to log on to IRC (there's a link from the forum index) to make sure you're all set up and have an FS2NetD account and such.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Hey there I just registered, as you can see, I would like to participate in that test as well but I got some questions.

First and foremost, its free for everyone so its okay for a lurker to join right?
Second, since i could not see something along those lines in here : will some kind of voip be needed? If so what kind.
Thirdly i just want to say that i loved playing BP. AoA was nice but i really fell in love with WiH :).

Thanks and hopefully till the 19th.

1. We won't just let you attend, we WANT you to attend! The more people there are the better it will be.

2. No voip is necessary, here's what you need.

a. A working release copy of WIH (and AoA). You sound like you've given both a playthrough so you've got it.

b. BP:WIH multi is delivered via SVN. See this thread for how to get setup. Be sure to update on test day.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=73966.0

c. We will be on IRC to coordinate the games. Go to this URL on test day, and pick your HLP nickname.
http://wbe04.mibbit.com/?settings=b73fe961ed217d9a3cbd9637dc7ba9bf&server=irc.esper.net&channel=%23hard-light&noServerTab=false

d. Make sure you are running Freespace Open (in the launcher) version 6832r. This is the latest multiplayer compatable build and the one we will use on test day. see the origional post for the link.

e. Lastly, make sure you have a registered pilot on Fs2 multi. See this thread for how to set one up. (Don't need to do step#2)
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=63609.0

3. Great games aren't they? Welcome to HLP! Green beam!

BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Lictuel

how can I make sure I am using  6832r? as far as i know i have 3.6.12 Inf as far as i know do i have to get 6832r from some svn? if yes which?

thanks in advance

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's in the BP multi SVN, just copy it into your main FS2 folder and select it in the launcher.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
It's in the BP multi SVN, just copy it into your main FS2 folder and select it in the launcher.

So it is. Damn, it took me ages to find that build in the nightlies. >:-(

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²

So it is. Damn, it took me ages to find that build in the nightlies. >:-(

That's why I gave the link on the first page of this thread. Here it is for those who are having trouble finding it.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,73203.0.html
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's right in the SVN, though!

I would also love to come and play tomorrow.

Not sure if I can host though, only have 750k upload on a good day here (or is it a dedicated server?)
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
I would also love to come and play tomorrow.

Not sure if I can host though, only have 750k upload on a good day here (or is it a dedicated server?)

Be glad to have you aboard!

We can give it a shot and see how it is. Others can host games for us as well. Fubar's working on a standalone server for us, but we've always got peer to peer as a backup.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Here's what we think of of TvT on BP during pre-game testing: The Feds are too light. Kents and Lao Tze died a lot by crashing from Atlantas easy. Doesn't happen as much in FS2. This is all anecdotal, and we did not open PCS2 to check the mass.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
oh my god, ****ing nyxes  :shaking:

Forced Entry was fun, though!

Offline FSW

I've just played a few games on Kinky's server. It was fun! Here are my initial thoughts.

Forced Entry
When a character speaks, the controlling player's name shows up rather than the character's name.
My radar icons were very messed up (I have the MVP radaricons installed).
As the Ravana explodes, it teleports off to the side. Only the player controlling Alpha 1 apparently sees the cutscene (and gets a medal).
The spawn points are much too far from the mission objectives.

UEB Durga
In a bomber-only dogfight mission, I was unable to load any missiles into the third slot. After I unloaded the default option (Javelin, I think), I was unable to put it back in.

Uhlan-only dogfight on the moon
This mission took an extraordinarily long time to load on my machine, and half of the other players dropped from the server. On our second try, the game started, but the server crashed a few minutes in.
Also, spawn points are too far from each other.

My thoughts on balance
I found it very easy to get kills with the Grimler. I don't think it's technically overpowered once players learn to dodge it, but it's certainly a game-changer, and probably shouldn't be available in every dogfight mission.
I think the Lao Tze should be a little more maneuverable.

Personally, I'd really like to play a dogfight with reverse afterburners...

Addendum: I just played a few games on Buckshee's server.
The Cavalier icon on the loadout screen appears as a white rectangle. Also, the main menu button for Multiplayer says 'Continue'. :D
Gattler ammo is still negative on the first spawn.
The mission 'Escalation' is fun, and I really like the idea. I found myself spawning inside the battle a few times, though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:26:18 pm by FSW »

Offline -Sara-

On the moon: Takes long to reach eachother, resulting in grimler grief. A map which can be REALLY fun for Draco's with Balors. They can scoot around the base and use light weapons for sustained battle. Drop the Uhlan's. Maybe add NPC gun emplacements to fire on the player, can be great fun in a Draco or interceptor battle.

Generic dogfight around the station: Get rid of the swarmers, they get spammed like mad with 12 players at once and those big missile bays. Rid the Ansarii, it's still there.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Forced Entry

When a character speaks, the controlling player's name shows up rather than the character's name.
Sounds like Callsigns are overriden by player names in multi. I'll see what I can do.

(I have the MVP radaricons installed).
why

As the Ravana explodes, it teleports off to the side. Only the player controlling Alpha 1 apparently sees the cutscene (and gets a medal).
Sounds like a good load of sexp just don't work proparly in multi.

The spawn points are much too far from the mission objectives.
Spawn points are fixed, and given the size of the mission, there is nothing I really can do about this. You're gonna hate Post Meridian about that too.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Tev vs UEF (NWTR)
The respawns are too close. I kept colliding with friendlies if we die about the same time.

UEF is too underpowered. Also, their fighters seem really light. That, or the Atlanta is broken. Further testing required. Would be easier to show if there are UEF vs UEF or Tev vs Tev

Offline Shade

Sounds like a good load of sexp just don't work proparly in multi.
Mantis them. The event system has been updated to allow all SEXPs to work in multi, they just haven't all been included yet. Coders'll need to know which are missing.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Here's some screens from today's test. Thanks everyone for the games.

(corvette coop mission)

(Droid803 fighting for survival in 'Staind Mars Red')

(MatthTheGeek's conversion of the bp:AoA mission 'Forced Entry')

(Swooping in for a Javelin strike in the Fed vs Tev TvT mission)

Since we didn't get to it today... If anyone feels up for it, play the UEF gauntlet mission made by Mars. I would like to hear if you all feel it's balanced.
Also, avoid the TvT mission UEF fleet battle A. It's unfinished.

BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Not really helpful at all, but here are my musings:

*Weapons:- A common complaint about UEF primaries was the lack of energy usage. I don't know if the Rapier has been adjusted at all for multi but I found it drained my bar after prolonged usage, which is a good for thing for such a powerful gun.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the Grimler is overpowered but it is incredibly effective. I must have gotten a 75% kill rate with it. I'd recommend a slight nerfing, perhaps to it's speed. The Javelin is the very first aspect seeking missile I've ever used that actually hits human players. It actually works well at close range ( <1000 metres) and it'll kill things if they have <40% hull most of the time.

The Sidhe is f*cking brutal! I loved using it! I would suggest lowering it's effective range to <350-400 metres as I was able to hit things above that range and get some good damage done. It's really dependent on accuracy which makes it balanced well and why it would probably be useless in dogfight.
EDIT: Actually increase the spread to make it less accurate, I didn't have much trouble hitting things.

*Craft:- I didn't actually fly the Lao Tze but watching it I noticed it looks like it has a lot of inertia: it slides it's back end quite a bit when turning, like the GVF Horus. I cannot for the life of me hit the Atlanta, it's so godamn small and manoeuvrable! The Uhlan is awesome, it has a good gun setup, generous payload capacity, good manoeuvrability and it's freaking tiny. I'd pick it over the Kent.

Multi is too fast-paced to make accurate judgements, but reverse thrust seems to have gotten nerfed real bad. I was 400 metres from the Diomedes in Stained Mars Red and going at full throttle, reverse thrusting did not stop me smacking my face into it. :) I guess the fear is the power it has in dogfighting, but I found the Atlanta's reverse throttle ability was powerful enough even without an afterburner, I got raped and raped others with it although in the latter case we outnumbered the other team (TvT). It might be the ability is just fundamentally game altering, bearing in mind in both those situations it was the host doing the raping. (Sara raped me, I gently raped others).

*Missions:- Stained Red Mars is gonna become a favourite thats for sure. It's well done and seems to be balanced appropiately for the time being. I'd suggest making the spawn point for the Nyxes as a distance value away from the player as I got the jump on them when they arrived. Other than that it was fun! VA is gonna be a requirement, I didn't get a look at the messages at all.

Not sure what to say about TvT, Tev vs UEF in particular. Some people have said the UEF is overpowered, personally I thought the Tevs were more dominant. Having been on the winning side of both I'm going to hazard it's probably balanced for now, except for the Grimler issues.

While we never did finish Escalation I found the weapons weren't what they should be. The craft choice was good, but the weapons weren't. I got more kills with the hellfires on the Scimitar than the crap on the Herc II. The Herc should have Prom S and aspect seekers, while subsequent craft can have Balors and dumbfire or heat seekers. The Herc is so slow it won't matter. The craft choice is what makes the difference imho. If you give them decent, but not overpowering weapons then the craft will create the whole 'escalation' effect.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 06:10:00 pm by Buckshee Rounds »

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Forced Entry

Sounds like Callsigns are overriden by player names in multi. I'll see what I can do.
Some multi missions override while others don't, so it must be mission dependent. An example would be the retail Into the Lion's Den vs the Into the Lion's Den with respawns. The one with respawns uses player names.