Author Topic: Test mission wanted  (Read 2565 times)

Offline el84

Test mission wanted
I’d make this myself, but I don’t know Fred at all. And I’d rather spend my time working with the source code, and not learning Fred. So…

I think we developers will soon need a mission to use for benchmarks. I am interested in measuring the performance difference between MSVC/GCC, and with different compiler switches.

• It should be a single player mission.
  • It should push the limits of the FS2 engine. Lot’s of ships, in other words.
  • Ship actions must be very predictable. This might rule out a combat scenario, because AI actions are somewhat random.
  • The player's ship should be disabled right away. This minimizes any skewing of benchmark results as a result of keyboard/joy input.
  • The mission need not last long.

Programmers: Freespace.cpp, starting at line 647, comment appropriate lines such that Show_framerate is always 1. Gives framerate info on the top of your screen when ingame.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Though art not a Freespace MODer lest ye know how to FRED.-myself;)

Offline Inquisitor

I think that's a reasonable request, though. This is a group effort afterall.
No signature.

What kind of limits do you want tested?
Destroyers/cruisers
Fighters?

I know roughly where Fred2's limits are in ways of bigger ships, but the FS2 Game Engine never seemed to handle as much as Fred2 could.

What exactly are you after?

I mean, I can make it unmovable and stuff, but are you after lots of little fighters making lots of polygons on a small scale? or big caps? do you want backgrounds?

Jus' tryin to get a better idea.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Now this sounds like fun.
The only thing needed is placing Alpha 1 in the middle of a lot of Lucifers, Sathanans, Destroyers, and all the other ships and fighters in the game just for good mesure.
The mission wont last longer then about 5 secounds, if you are lucky... :lol:  ;7

hehehe, I actually tried that once. Survived for about 12 secounds before being blasted sky-high. For not to talk about the very low frame-rates....

Stargazer.
"We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean.
We are ready to set sail towards the stars
" --- Carl Sagan, Cosmos.
----
Member of the Noctis IV and Orbiter communities;
Visit Noctis
Visit Orbiter

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I suppose I could do this, but I will need a bit more information on what you exactly want in the mission.

Offline el84

A giant battle might be best to test overall FS2 performance, but I am somewhat concerned that a Battle of Endor mission would not provide repeatable results. The AI decisions will always be somewhat random. Only way to determine how this will skew the results is have the mission and try it numerous times. Oh, the player ship better be cloaked, disabled, and not too close to the action. Else, it will be an awfully short test.

An idea for a mission that should eliminate the random AI ‘factor’: At regular intervals, say once every ten seconds, a large battle group warps in. Each group follows a waypoint for about twenty seconds, then warps out. No ‘dancing’ or colliding caps, please. At any point in time, there would be two battle groups on screen. All ships are friendly. Of course, without weapon fire, there is no way to determine performance impact of weapon handling code changes, special weapon effects, etc. Still, it would provide a good gauge of basic engine performance (lots of polygons and textures to render, and the warp in/out exercises the ani code).

Maybe one of each?

Oh, important: Either mission should end at a set time (is there a mission-end SEXP?). Again, repeatability is the most important thing here.

To get a meaningful benchmark, it will be necessary to add a little code that calculates the average framerate for the entire mission. Easy to do (most of my real-world software/hardware designs include data acquisition and signal processing).

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
is there a mission-end SEXP?

Avenger made one with the source code.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Originally posted by IceFire

Avenger made one with the source code.

well without getting another executable... just use red-alert
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
*cough* has-time-elaspsed -> redalert *cough*

:D

EDIT: Damn, he beat me to it...:p