Author Topic: MediaVPs 2014 Discussion thread  (Read 55933 times)

Re:MediaVPs 2014 Discussion thread
Veterans might not read the reader, but I sure as hell do.
With the lack of a unified installer GOOBER:-) I find it critical to Always read the reader,  for anything and everything FS2.

This really should be updated..
Maybe someone can correct it and write a simple NSIS to replace it,  and place it beside the main download links?

Bh

Offline Echelon9

Re: MediaVPs 2014 Discussion thread
I think there was a copy-pasta with the MD5 hashes provided for MV_Root.7z and MV_Root.vp.

MV_Root.7z
Required: The bare minimum required for running FSO, also contains the mod.ini, FSU-MVP.bmp and Readme.txt and sets up the mod folder
Download Link: FSMods :: MjnServ
7z MD5: 4413D7160848372D571AD3F91D08165D
VP MD5: C6BF81F89CF20A2AE868E88E1CB8E385

This is what I see (notice the 7z hash has been reported as the vp hash; not sure what the vp hash is):
Code: [Select]
$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013
$ openssl md5 MV_Root.vp
MD5(MV_Root.vp)= c7729dea15e7b23de1936cd79e5a036c
$ openssl md5 MV_Root.7z
MD5(MV_Root.7z)= c6bf81f89cf20a2ae868e88e1cb8e385

Offline Echelon9

Before I open a Mantis report, are any other users seeing this Assertion()?

WARNING: "main_hall_init() was passed a blank main hall name; loading first available main hall." at /Users/cliff.gordon/fs2open_0/code/menuui/mainhallmenu.cpp:414
ASSERTION FAILED: "!resize" at /Users/cliff.gordon/fs2open_0/code/graphics/gropengltexture.cpp:662

Occurs on OSX nightly build of 2 January 2014, when clicking on the Tech Room menu item immediately after selecting my pilot.

You'll see in my fs2open.log below, the techroom found an invalid IBX model for the first ship and was rebuilding immediately prior to the Assertion().

Techroom successfully initialized, now changing tab...
Loading model 'fighter01.pof'
IBX:  Warning!  Found invalid IBX file: 'fighter01.bx'
IBX: Starting a new IBX for 'fighter01.pof'.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Hellzed

@Echelon9 : are you aware of issues with the Sathanas in the nebula (the SJ Sathanas is disappearing under certain distances and angles, appearing without fog occlusion for a few frames, the engine glows disappearing...) ? It make mission SM2-08 nearly unplayable...

Details here :
http://www.hard-light.net/mantis/view.php?id=998

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hellzed, you need to relax a little bit there. You've claimed several times now that the mission is unplayable. However, I have played it during this release cycle. Several times. I have beat the mission and it's bonus objects several times including just now. The bug you are reporting is an issue and we will try to get it fixed. However, it is nothing more than a minor visual annoyance and does nothing to impeded the actual playability of the mission.

Before I open a Mantis report, are any other users seeing this Assertion()?

WARNING: "main_hall_init() was passed a blank main hall name; loading first available main hall." at /Users/cliff.gordon/fs2open_0/code/menuui/mainhallmenu.cpp:414
ASSERTION FAILED: "!resize" at /Users/cliff.gordon/fs2open_0/code/graphics/gropengltexture.cpp:662

Occurs on OSX nightly build of 2 January 2014, when clicking on the Tech Room menu item immediately after selecting my pilot.

You'll see in my fs2open.log below, the techroom found an invalid IBX model for the first ship and was rebuilding immediately prior to the Assertion().

Techroom successfully initialized, now changing tab...
Loading model 'fighter01.pof'
IBX:  Warning!  Found invalid IBX file: 'fighter01.bx'
IBX: Starting a new IBX for 'fighter01.pof'.

I couldn't reproduce this one.

I also fixed the readme, uploaded a new MV_Root.7z, and fixed the hashes on the release post.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hellzed

Must be my weird flight style, I keep crashing into an invisible Sathanas. Hull integrity drops fast on harder difficulty levels ;)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I never found myself running into invisible models. I did see the Sath pop in an out, but it was always visible when I was close enough to hit it. I would like you to generate a debug log while playing that mission and attach it to the mantis report.

So far I'm liking very much the release version of MediaVP 2014. Your dedication for a game that is almost 15 years old is just remarkable  :yes:

Extra thanks for mjn.mixael for resetting Bloom saturation & brightness values and making the Crystal subsystem of Shivan Comm Nodes destroyable again. I just tested "Intro the Lion's Den" and was happy as hell  :D

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
On the other hand, I think you guys should take a look at this bug again, especially now that PCS2's bounding box bugs have been fixed.

I've attached a test mission to my post.

With retail, it is possible to hit the missile turrets without having your shots pass through them.  If you're using the mediavps, your shots will pass through the missile turrets if you aim at the middle or bottom.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Issues not on Mantis are unlikely to get fixed. Harsh as it may seem, I'm kinda of putting my foot down on that. I just can't keep bookmarking posts with issues I need to check when I have a simple solution like Mantis available.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
FSMods links have been added to the Release Post.

I for one have been largely absent during a major portion of this cycle. I'd like to significantly commend Mjn.Mixal and Oddgrim for keeping things rolling along as they have and the fantastic work they've done in terms of modeling and texturing to boot. As well, a huge thank you and a Welcome to Admiral Nelson to the ranks of FSU.

And I have to agree: If you spot an issue and you haven't put it on the MediaVP's Mantis, you have my condolences.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Nephilim thruster point is offset.  Bug 999
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
For those interested, I uploaded 2 vp.
- one that fix some eyepoint alignment
- one to enable cockpit view base on those eyepoint

For the eyepoint: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0bvwo9im45hzzpq/Freespace2SCP_mediavps2014_EyepointFix.zip
For the cockpit view enabled : http://www.mediafire.com/download/936b4dkbr70kbky/Freespace2SCP_mediavps2014_CockpitView.zip

Extract and past them directly into your mediavps_2014 or whatever you named it.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Question:  Why hasn't the ships.tbl asteroid model been replaced with one of the high-poly better-mapped asteroids used in the field-generated asteroids?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Echelon9

I also fixed the readme, uploaded a new MV_Root.7z, and fixed the hashes on the release post.
Great, the hashes all line up.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Noob question warning!  :)

I have never used a nightly build.  I get the difference between "SSE" and "NO SSE", but what is the difference with "Standard"? My CPU (Core 2 Duo E8500) does support SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, and EM64T according to CPU-Z. Do I want "SSE" or "Standard" build?  From the release thread for 3.7.0 I think maybe I need "standard" but I want to make sure.

Thanks!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Our Standard is SSE2 since a year ago or so. You already know the compatibility of your CPU, so use this one.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Thanks!! I appreciate the quick response.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Hellzed

@MatthTheGeek :
So let's say i want to ship widely compatible linux builds, how should I proceed ?
I know it is not currently possible to build a static linked fs2_open.

I was planning to make these builds :
3.7.0 amd64
3.7.0 i386
3.7.1 amd64 (nightly)
3.7.1 i386 (nightly)
3.7.1 amd64 (nightly+BP patch)
3.7.1 i386 (nightly+BP patch)

I would use Ubuntu 13.10 to build these.

Would it be ok, or should I do it in a completely different way ?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Just a quick thing I've noticed off the bat: the Poseidon has no normal, glows, or shine in-game.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta