Author Topic: Forum game II: Forum game harder (Vague rule idea outline discussion thread)  (Read 41311 times)

Offline Flak

Re: Forum game II: Forum game harder (Vague rule idea outline discussion thread)
Will the LSF do anything? And will there be other 'Spoon-controller' enemy fleets? Like pirates, terrorists, UEU remnants, etc?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Forum game II: Forum game harder (Vague rule idea outline discussion thread)
Will the LSF do anything?

The 2nd phase of the game is going to be the founding of the LSF ... I don't know what Spoon exactly has planned but I got the implication that the LSF will be controlled by all factions depending on their political influence ... that might also mean that LSF may no engage in PVP...

Another idea that comes to mind but would be nightmare to organize (though it would carry some nice possibities of intrigue) would be that the LSF once founded is set up of existing players who have their faction changed to LSF ... that aside from the nightmare of organization is however unlikely because the LSF was the smallest force in the last game; if the numbers stay the same of the LSF would only have 4 slots (2 Strategic/2 Tactical) to fill (just noticed that would be one for each faction ... hmmmmm....)

And will there be other 'Spoon-controller' enemy fleets? Like pirates, terrorists, UEU remnants, etc?

What role should they fill in the game? - Without the star map this is hard to gauge

Usually in Strategy Game that have PVP as main element PVE only fills the role to postpone Player confrontation by providing additional objectives (e.g. WC3), to add cost to player expansion or add additional risk to extensive strategy (e.g. SoSE)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:30:20 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Flak

There are not exactly those 'creeps' in WC3 or local militia in SoASE, more like the pirates, except they don't have that kind of big base, and they appear almost the same way as the Tec's Insurgency ability. So I assume they are more like random events to shake things up. Like when pirates are raiding your supply lines then the fleets beyond the raided area will get penalty for resupplying until they are dealt with, or you need to take them out for the supplies they steal. Terrorists may do things like messing up your political relations and cause damage to infrastructures. Also, there may be bounties given by neutral factions to deal with certain pirate or terrorist. UEU remnants are probably combination of both, and they are more dangerous, they will try guerilla warfare to regain their position and are probably packing technologies never seen before.

Maybe other things, like hireable mercenaries, they are basically neutral fleets which the players cannot control but may agree to do something for the player for a price, and sometimes they are hired by the government. They will then do their things, and when they are done, they will stick around depots for resupply, and then depending who they are, they will either return to their 'home' or keep wandering around for more jobs. They may also be hired by neutral factions to hold off some of the above threats.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So, we are talking a bundle of things here...

Mercs are in; Spoon said so earlier. They will be the providence of one of ministers but if they are neutral fleets or supplement existing faction fleets (like they did in Forum Game I) we don't know yet....

"Insurgents" (lets stick to the SoSE term as not to muddy the discussion) in a form of neutral fleet would serve no purpose here, I think ... In SoSE they exist to encourage a even distribution of defences across hostile empires forcing them intp additional investments, instead of allowing them to pool your fleet and resources at chockepoints in your empire which even before first expansion was a huge problem -- how and if chockepoints will work out in the Forum Game II only Spoon can answer since no other knows the starmap yet

The other thing is the limited opporunity to act in the forum game; the number of fleets is set and determines the number of actions in the tactical turn; that alone makes difficult to integrate a system into the game that requires fleets to travel around since travelling drom system to system takes an entire turn (its a major action) - it would drastically slow down the game if fleets had to do more travelling beyond foward to attack and backward to resupply

As for "Acts of God" (random events out of nowhere) I'm pretty sure they are in but they don't neccessarily require to put more "pieces on the board" ... esspecially since they can fall in the providence of two ministers (hint*hint)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Just posting to let you guys know, that I'm working on the second forum game. Thanks to the power of spreadsheets (for easy calculations and a slight random factor) and the prospect of having seperate private forums for each faction, the tactical combat should be tons of fun.
I'll soon be posting more concrete things as I work out all the basics.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Coolness. :cool: Looking forward to it. Hope it isn't as mathhammerable as the last one (not that the last one wasn't still cool, of course, it's just that this one will be even cooler, right?)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Looking forward to it! :pimp:

But the Heirarchy will be playing for keeps this time... :nervous:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
mUcH ExCiTe

HYYYYPE
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Yay!! I'm all in to fight for the glory of DD again.

Hope the randomness and faction seperation work out as expected.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Wooooh.  Looking forward to it  :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Arrg, now I really need to get past that asteroid ambush mission!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Sign me up!

Ummmmm, what do I do??  :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Sign me up etc etc. I've got to keep the Kalazonitov legacy alive.

Probably as a DD politico, if the old ideas / outlines are still a go.

'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I still need to type down all these rule explanations and shizzbizzle on how these things work. But this early tactical combat test with Axem as a guinea pig worked pretty well!
In a tl;dr explaination: Each admiral gives up to 5 orders to his fleet for a turn, then these orders get executed in order, simultaneously.

At the start of the combat, Axem picked the blue side, I gave orders for green.

Axem ordered his fleet to:
1. Move Fleet Port
2. Move Fleet Forward
3. Fire on Any target

While I said to:
1. Detach 2nd SF Left, advance port
2. Advance fleet forward
3. 2nd SF Center fire on 1st Patrol left
4. Advance 2nd Left forward
5. 2nd SF Left fire on any target

Axem's left flank was pretty badly mauled while my center fleet took a hit. But my left fleet was now in a terrible spot.

Axem then ordered his fleet to:
1. Fleet fires on 2nd SF Left
2. Detach Left Patrol to Port
3. Move Fleet backwards.
4. Detach Right Patrol to Starboard

I assumed my left flank was going to be completely destroyed anyway so I only issued these three orders:
1. Advance Fleet port
2. 2nd SF Center fire on 1st Patrol Center
3. Advance fleet Forward

However due to some poor luck on Axem's weaponry hit rolls, the left support flank actually survived with exactly 1 hp. In turn though, the main batteries of my center assault fleet managed to score only 2 out of 8 hits. So the rng wasn't with us both.

I still have to think of a good way to improve the presentation on the image on what happened during the turns. (I'm thinking of little arrows with icons to go with it) But it was pretty easy for me to process the turns thanks to my amazing new spreadsheet skills, automating the majority of things for me.
It kind of feels like playing a game of chess with numbers, trying to anticipate what your opponent will do and getting into the optimal firing position for your fleet. I think it's pretty fun!

Sign me up etc etc. I've got to keep the Kalazonitov legacy alive.

Probably as a DD politico, if the old ideas / outlines are still a go.
Yeah I'm still aiming to make those general ideas work.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Morale: HALP
:lol:

Would that grid be something that players would go into for combat, or part of a larger overall map?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The tactical map grid is just for the combat and not part of the strategic map
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Next step: implementing this turn-based tactics gameplay in FSO. ;)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Looks like a good balance of easy-to-learn and hard-to-mathematically-solve.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
I hate to be the complicator, but you do realise that you could place some 'terrain' on this kind of map?

Line-of-fire blockers, asteroids, debris fields etc.

...D&D 4th ed has spoiled me.  :doubt:
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So I've missed the signup?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png