Author Topic: Official HLP IRC-channel on Trial  (Read 32470 times)

Offline Inquisitor

Re: Official HLP IRC-channel on Trial
behaving themselves with their relative silence

The ever present idlers :)
No signature.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
What can be done to liven up IRC?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Damn you for not using Sorcery. Now I need two irc windows open.

Why you don't just open a new server tab in your mIRC?
OMG! We're lost: Kryptonite = Tiberium

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
A little confused, if I have trillian, and set it all up already. Do I still need to install MIRC?

It says HLP is online but my button won't turn blue and entering the channel does nothing. I used espernet first then changed to dream as I am in PA...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
A little confused, if I have trillian, and set it all up already. Do I still need to install MIRC?

It says HLP is online but my button won't turn blue and entering the channel does nothing. I used espernet first then changed to dream as I am in PA...

you need to click on that little IRC connection light in trillian and select "join channel"
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Getter Robo G

Thanks for trying, the box appears and when I type the channel in from the post and hit enter nothing happens, the box just closes.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Thanks for trying, the box appears and when I type the channel in from the post and hit enter nothing happens, the box just closes.

If you've got Firefox, just get the Chatzilla extension.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Ok I'm new to IRC, having trouble figuring out how to get to the hard light channel... I got xchat, and I'm trying to figure out how to connect to the EsperNet network. What do I type in "Network" area? I went to the esper site and they had their servers listed (i.e. cosmos.esper.net) and I tried typing that it but it didn't work. Also, doesn't it matter which one I join?

Offline Getter Robo G

well I got MIRC (Temporarily, as I couldn't see anyone else most of the time with chatzilla).

Now we need MORE people! Seems to always be the same 3-5 people... (including me!)

Don't blame X-mas.. ;)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I always lurk around and talk occasinally.

I agree though MORE PEOPLE.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

^If you can answer my question I'll get on ;)

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Ok I'm new to IRC, having trouble figuring out how to get to the hard light channel... I got xchat, and I'm trying to figure out how to connect to the EsperNet network. What do I type in "Network" area? I went to the esper site and they had their servers listed (i.e. cosmos.esper.net) and I tried typing that it but it didn't work. Also, doesn't it matter which one I join?

Umm I should check out Xchat client again in order to provide more proper help, but all in all it shouldn't really matter which EsperNet server you join in. Since I can't remember how the interface on the Xchat was I'll provide you two simple but important commands which should get you started.

When you open Xchat... it most likely opens up an empty server windows which might have a typing area at the bottom of it.
Into that type and enter:

/server cosmos.esper.net

That should connect you to the EsperNet server, or one of them anyway. After some messages of the day etc. stuff type the next command:

/j #hard-light (or /join #hard-light)

And that should take you to the channel.
Habeeb it...

Offline Dysko

I've tried to connect to the IRC, but whichever program I use (I tried mIRC, Trillian and ChatZilla), it always refuses my connection.
For example, using ChatZilla I get:

[INFO]   Network view for “cosmos.esper.net” opened.
[INFO]   Attempting to connect to “cosmos.esper.net”. Use /cancel to abort.
[INFO]   Connecting to irc://cosmos.esper.net/ (irc://cosmos.esper.net/)...
[ERROR]   Connection to irc://cosmos.esper.net/ (irc://cosmos.esper.net/) refused. Reconnecting in 15 seconds.

When it reconnects, it disconnects again and so on.
What can I do? :confused:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Are there still a fair number of you on this? I haven't checked it out in a while.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I couldn't get in for some reason, but tried again just now and it worked. Looks like just me and 3 others.  :( Come on, let's have a mirc partay!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
It seems there's always the same people in there. And a bunch of spooks who never say anything but still seem to always be there...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I've tried to connect to the IRC, but whichever program I use (I tried mIRC, Trillian and ChatZilla), it always refuses my connection.

First you could try out some of the other EsperNet servers there are, if you haven't.
Habeeb it...

Offline Dysko

First you could try out some of the other EsperNet servers there are, if you haven't.
Already tried. Had the same problem with all the servers. :(

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
If someone has any other suggestions go ahead, but for now I might even concider the problem being on the ISP end. Firewall for example.

Hmm you could try to connect on to some other most likely working IRC server... Quakenet could be a good one to test. Try connecting on to irc.quakenet.org
Habeeb it...

Offline Dysko

.... neither Quakenet works. :nervous:
I don't know what could be the cause of the problem. Surely it isn't the firewall: I have deactivated it.

At this point, my problem doesn't belong anymore to the "News & Announcements" board.
@Mods: would be possible to move this part of the thread to the general off-topic section?