Author Topic: Official HLP IRC-channel on Trial  (Read 32879 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Official HLP IRC-channel on Trial
We're well aware that it has been suggested many times in the past, but it was again suggested after the recent server move. Since the admins are in the groove and we're quite confident the frequent server issues are now a thing of the past (*crosses fingers*), we fired up an official IRC-channel for Hard Light Productions. There's a catch however, the channel is only on trial. Depending on how it works out, it may stay or it may be terminated.

What is IRC? Click on the link to find out and how to use IRC, but in short it is a medium of real-time internet chat. Since it is a real-time chat, definition of "spam" is much more loose there than it is on these discussion forums. We do not intend to tolerate just anything however, rules as laid out in the Guidelines For Forum Conduct applies to our IRC-channel as well, although moderation will not be as strict.

To use an IRC-network, you need an IRC-client. If you prefer a client that supports multiple protocols including but not limited to ICQ and MSN, good choices are Trillian (Windows) or Gaim (cross-platform). If you like dedicated IRC-clients, mIRC (Windows) or XChat (cross-platform) are good choices.

We chose the EsperNet as the IRC-network where our IRC-channel is hosted. (Kudos to Turnsky for suggesting this one) Choose your favorite IRC-client, connect to one of the EsperNet's IRC-servers, and join to channel #hard-light!

If this is the first time you connect to one of the EsperNet's servers, pay attention to the message of the day (MotD) which is displayed in your status window. EsperNet seemed like a good choice because it is not a big IRC-network, so it should be less vulnerable to abuse such as denial of service attacks and malware and it has less nicknames registered. Remember to use common sense when it comes to security, don't accept incoming file transfers or commands from unknown people, or an0n.

Don't forget to read this tutorial if you're new to IRC, the client you chose will also have its own set of help files or pages and maybe tutorials.

Because not all admins will maintain their presence on IRC and the admins that may do, cannot be on the channel 24/7, which is why we would like to have some assistance from you in order to maintain decent moderation on the channel when it is required. If you're interested, post in this topic or send a message to an admin if there's one online at the time. Only those who have at least decent reputation on these forums will be qualified. If you're accepted as a channel operator (IRC equivalent of a moderator), abusing your powers can get you banned both on IRC and on these forums.

Remember that continuously violating the rules as laid out in the Guidelines For Forum Conduct will get you banned on IRC and depending on your behaviour, possibly also on these forums.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 05:44:24 am by Fury »

Offline Inquisitor

Re: Official HLP IRC-channel on Trial
[15:39] *** -EsperNet- [Logon News - Nov 14 2006] All users be aware of a new virus spreading around IRC.  A random user will try to send you secrets.exe, please do not accept this file and report the user to #dragonweyr.
[15:39] *** -EsperNet- [Logon News - Feb 06 2005] If somebody tells you to type something with /echo, /write, /raw, /quote, containing $decode  or anything else telling you it will give you ops, IRC ops, Admin status or anything else they are lying to you and infecting you with a Trojan.  Don't do it, it's not smart and you really won't like the results. 

I love IRC :)
No signature.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I am online quite a bit, and I'd be happy to offer my services in maintaining decent moderation with HLP's IRC channel (if you guys still need help).
I am a revolutionary.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Damn you for not using Sorcery. Now I need two irc windows open.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I'll help out with moderating the IRC channel if you guys will take me.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Hahaha... great, ops who weren't even around for the "bring back Steak" days...

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

::) Look around you, and try to tell me with a straight face that seniority and maturity are related.  :P
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Seniority and bitterness are!

I'm an op in two channels on furnet (go ahead, make fun, I'll just put you on the tard list). There's really nothing to it.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Gotta love IRC.

* an0n remembers when him and Joey got moddy to install a script that let them perform remote commands on his computer

We erased half his hard-drive.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Point taken, original post edited.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman

::) Look around you, and try to tell me with a straight face that seniority and maturity are related.  :P

Experience is a great thing.

e.g.

Gotta love IRC.

* an0n remembers when him and Joey got moddy to install a script that let them perform remote commands on his computer

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
May someone PLEASE tell me how to setup IRC for Hard-Light on Trillian 3.1 Basic?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Trillian Preferences > Identities and Connections > Add new connection > IRC.
- EsperNET (or whatever you like to name your connection)
- chocobo.esper.net or whichever server is the closest to your location. http://www.esper.net/servers.html
- Bob-san
- Bob or whatever you like to put here.
- Bob or whatever you like to put here.
Select Change > Miscalleneous > tick Always show status window on connect creation > Save settings > Connect.

Once connected, type /j #hard-light and press enter.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
How many people are typically on this? I might try popping in a bit later.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It has been a slow start but today there has been about half-a-dozen people online at all times. Still, could be a bit more lively methinks. ;)

Offline Shade

Definitely seems like it has a chance to catch on. It's nice to be able to chat in real-time once in a while, and there's already been a couple of nice discussions. It's pretty dead sometimes too, but that's to be expected when one part of the world goes to dinner and the other is still at work or sleeping ;) I plan to hang out in it whenever I'm online at least, even if there isn't always something going on.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
I don't see the point in a HLP IRC.

All the half-decent HLPers inclined to IRC used to hang on #nodewar and have since migrated to #warpstorm.

This new place is just gonna fill up with n00bs and tards.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Stop whining, get the **** on, and make me laugh.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Gotta love IRC.

What do you admins think, should I post this little IRC chat in public? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I vote yes ;)

Oh and the IRC channel is proving quite a laugh at the moment btw.