Author Topic: New Monkey Policy  (Read 17183 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
You're still missing the point. The entire point of monkeys is to prevent people from misbehaving, not shove people to the side as a response to an action. TBH, I think that if you think the punishment is just, the punishment actually isn't harsh enough.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The monkey usergroup is for people who have repeatedly demonstrated their inability to civilly participate in public discussion.  It's not for minor or one-off offenses.

For minor offenses what I've done in the past is simply temp-ban someone based on the severity of the offense.  For an isolated incident I might ban someone for two days.  If it's particularly severe I'd ban him for a week or two.  I don't expect this to change.  Monkeying and banning are two separate concepts.

I understand it fine. Monkeying people for being idiots, ban them for doing directly bad things.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
And if you want to see what not to do, look at BlackDove's last posts. He pretty much pops into threads to say "I DON'T CARE!!!!11" in some random picture, and leaves or *****es at you.

All in all, I think that the new system is good.

And BTW, did you un-monkey everyone on purpose, or was it caused by the forum upgrade.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
1) All currently monkeyed users will be unmonkeyed so everyone starts off on the same foot.  (This was actually done a few months ago, back when the idea first came up.)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I know that he said that, but don't you think it's suspicious that it coincides directly with the date of the update?

Offline Kie99

Why is a fixed length of time for monkeying preferable to a variable one?  I can't see any advantage to it.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
...it's like the law. The law's purpose is not in telling you what to do (that's what where education and upbringing come in) it is in laying down the common consensus on how far you're allowed to go.

The reason why a fixed date is good is that anyone going over those lines will know what's coming for them. Also the "judge" will have a wrought response that he can apply without personal bias.
The later is of course present in his judgment in the first place, but it's consequences and the punishment itself won't be a point of debate. Judgments can be appealed and lifted under certain circumstances, but simply put what this rule does is:

Make all Monkey business a question of whether the Monkeyed user is guilty of mass disruption or not.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Don't kill me for bumping this... :nervous:

I was wondering if Custom Titles like Colonel Dekker's (sorry, needed to quote a valid example) are part of the Monkey system.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you're referring to the technical, SMF-code side of things, then I wouldn't be able to tell you.  But otherwise, no, custom titles have nothing at all to do with the monkeying system.  They're assigned at whim by the admins (especially Goober) to call attention to some aspect of a poster's personality or history.  It's most often the case that a user's title represents a particularly noteworthy achievement by that user, or an occurrence that that user was involved in...whether the noteworthiness be in the positive or negative sense.  For instance, my own title doubles as both a cute literary reference and an allusion to a certain discussion I was involved in with another poster.  (Ten points if you guess who!)  There's some rather amusing history behind a lot of the titles, and those that are links tend to be the funniest of all.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
For instance, my own title doubles as both a cute literary reference and an allusion to a certain discussion I was involved in with another poster.  (Ten points if you guess who!)
Cobra?
We sure have a fair number of animals used as usernames here...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Goober?

Offline Topgun

If you're referring to the technical, SMF-code side of things, then I wouldn't be able to tell you.  But otherwise, no, custom titles have nothing at all to do with the monkeying system.  They're assigned at whim by the admins (especially Goober) to call attention to some aspect of a poster's personality or history.  It's most often the case that a user's title represents a particularly noteworthy achievement by that user, or an occurrence that that user was involved in...whether the noteworthiness be in the positive or negative sense.  For instance, my own title doubles as both a cute literary reference and an allusion to a certain discussion I was involved in with another poster.  (Ten points if you guess who!)  There's some rather amusing history behind a lot of the titles, and those that are links tend to be the funniest of all.
Top Gun?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Not to be confused with Topgun.

Offline Topgun

not that Top Gun has posted recently (its been YEARS AFAIK). except SG Top Gun, who is hlp mongoose.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
not that Top Gun has posted recently (its been YEARS AFAIK). except SG Top Gun, who is hlp mongoose.
Not that this is on-topic, but yes, I am the Top Gun from Sectorgame (and various other places).  The only reason I went with Mongoose here was because that name was already taken...and I kind of miffed a bit (but for the best) on making a reference to the movie. :p  And yes, the other poster was Cobra.  Goober saw us having a somewhat heated discussion somewhere and was struck with a bit of inspiration.

Not that any of this has anything to do with monkeys...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
User titles reflect either interesting events in that members life, a comment on their behaviour, or simply something done for the hell of it, there's no real hard or fast rule, for example, my title either reads as Flipside 'flipped' or a strange mutation of 'asplode!', I'm trying to decide which ;)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
User titles reflect either interesting events in that members life, a comment on their behaviour, or simply something done for the hell of it, there's no real hard or fast rule, for example, my title either reads as Flipside 'flipped' or a strange mutation of 'asplode!', I'm trying to decide which ;)

Is that why AlphaOne has a string of exclamation marks? :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
It's because he's a bit excitable.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, it's not because he's excitable, it's because he ends all his sentences with exclamation marks! Like so! Even the ones he doesn't mean to emphasize!