Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2657013 times)

Col. Fishguts and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Re: A celebration of Freespace
SoL time again! :)

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline CaptJosh

I like the way you've reimagined the SNES Starfox Arwing. It looks a million times better than the original.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline aceofspades

• Janitor on a SJ Sathanas
Is it just me, or is there a general lack of GTVX Gorgon Cannon screenies around here?
I wonder if the Shivans eat chocolate? Or play FS2, for that matter.

Offline aceofspades

Are there any FS2 machinima movies? I mean, not just to show off some graphical detail in the game, but for cinematic enjoyment? Kind of like http://www.planetgamecam.com/movies/HaloChase.wmv or http://www.planetgamecam.com/movies/BandofBros.WMV? If not, maybe we could have a topic somewhere for people to post their stuff and others to comment? OTOH, maybe that should really stay in this topic.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've seen comics produced using images from FS2 but never a full machinima.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Someone needs to rectify this situation as soon as possible.  We have the technology, and we definitely have enough wiseasses in this community to make something funny. :p

Offline aceofspades

I don't know how I'd do with humour (besides, the only way we could do anything Red vs Blue-ish would be to use the dialogue between the ships.
But as to some semi-dramatic scenes, I'm working on those right now.

Offline aceofspades

Okay, I've taken lots and lots of shots. I've only turned one of them into an actual scene though. It may end up being the first scene in my eventual video. One problem I've discovered is that I have to use FRAPS instead of the obviously, almost mind-numbingly superior Game Cam because GC, and GC Lite, do absolutely nothing on my comp. I've set up the profile, looked at the hotkeys. Nothing. Another problem is that I can't do really high performance shots because when combined with the capture process they slow down the CPU below usable levels, not to mention that the videos come out bad. Anyway, opening scene is available for download by right-clicking then "Save Target As" on elgg.net/aceofspades/files/-1/4516/FSmoviev0-1.wmv. The end product better be good, damnit, because I needed around 10 takes to get the FS1 part where the Lucifer takes down the Galatea just right  :doubt:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 10:24:19 pm by aceofspades »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Does not work. Offers to save a *.html file.  :(

Anyway it's generally not a good idea IMO to include any other dots in file names in Windows systems. It can create all kinds of trouble because in some cases Windows doesn't understand such file names and interprets that file, for example, as being of type *.1 when it actually is a wmv file. At some point this trick was used in malicious e-mail attachments they put into mail an attachment named "make_your_life_better.txt.exe" which was shown as a txt file when it was instead an executable... I'm not sure how current Windows recognizes this kind of things.

I'd rather use _ or - instead of dot.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:12:10 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.

Those comics would have been my Equinox sector ones, and to a certain extent the Fall of HLP comics (but the in-game pieces were actually just snapshots from FRED, so it doesn't really count)

Good luck to anyone that attempts to make a machinima with FS2 though. :p
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aceofspades

HT, I was aware of that issue with Windows files. I only chose to stick with the dot because I wanted to suggest the "version 0.1" notation. Anyway, the link in my post has been updated with a new file. And remember that it doesn't work if you try to stream it from the website by clicking on it. You HAVE to download it to your drive first. It works for me at the time of posting. If all else fails, go to http://elgg.net/aceofspades/files/ and download from there. Hope it works soon. Collaboration/suggestion from anybody and everybody welcome.
EDIT: ok, the problem was apparently that Elgg blocks file access from non-logged in guests by default. I've changed it to public, and it appears to work for me when I am not logged in. This fix is about an hour or so after this post.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 11:18:38 pm by aceofspades »

Offline aceofspades

Um...okay, I understand that the sample I uploaded might not be the most impressive video you've ever seen. Having made it myself (well...kinda), I would be surprised than you guys if it were. However, this sudden silence has me suspicious about yet more download issues. At the very least, can someone please tell me if they've been able to download and view it?
 :confused:
 :nervous:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well, it still doesn't work by directly linking the file here. However, I was able to watch it from your page (http://elgg.net/aceofspades/files)...

Well, it was kinda short for a file that big. And not much happens. End result will probably be more interesting and have more to comment in it.

As of now, music is the best part of the clip yet, well chosen indeed. Carmina Burana kinda fits the epic space opera style of FS.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Allright....now I've got.....almost a hundred screenshots, massively sized at 1600x1200, with all the graphics stuff on and FS2 looking absolutely KICKASS.

Problem is...well, I've got almost a hundred screenshots that take up waaay too much space for plain ol photobucket, and the slide-show video (with complimentary music) I made out of it was waaay to huge to upload anywhere, and compressing it with Xvid killed the quality of the shots.

I've narrowed it down to the top twenty or so (the hundred were earlier narrowed down from 150 screenies or so) and putting that up instead. If anyone wants the vid with ALL the shots (the good ones, anyway) and nice transitions from each, let me know.

posting the first bunch next post onwards

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
some of the first few aren't that big, mostly because i was still fiddling around with the resolutions and stuff. Soon figured out I could go all hte way to 1600x1200 though :D

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.

Offline aceofspades

Herra, let me make it clear that that is NOT 'the' video. That is what will probably one of the scenes in my video. If it was the whole video, it would probably be one of the most boring things ever to be called one. It's good you approve of my carmina burana choice - that was one of the purposes of uploading the sample, to show the music I was using.
It's also kind of purposely not that exciting. I'm trying to go for a effect where the video goes thorugh increasing levels of action - first simply following ships, as in the sample. Then chasing and killing fighters/bombers. Then warp effects and small explosions, e.g. freighters and cruisers going down. Then some real fireworks. However, if people are convinced it would be better to start with, say, a dogfight (complete with kill) then I will switch.
Singh, nice work! I'd like it if you could give me the video somehow.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Herra, let me make it clear that that is NOT 'the' video.

Nor did I ever assume so.  :p I'd be more worried if it contained all you have to show in a 20 second clip...  :nod:

Waiting for the end result here.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
http://www.game-warden.com/singh/cofs2.avi

Xvid codec, 38.8 mb.

Hope you like :)