Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2665885 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Ah... very true.  :doubt:

It generally amazes me to stop and think that a game developed so long ago still has so many people remaining faithful to it, and its graphics are on par with games released years in front of it. :yes:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Heh heh heh. The first thing I did with FRED. Poor cruiser. You can barely see it.

The cruiser died instantly....

... But it took a while to die ...

... so the Sathani decided to add more beams ...

.... making it look like the cruiser was shooting them.

Notice that the Sathani were not firing all their beams; I think that they couldn't bring the beams to bear, they were probably to tightly ringed in.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

I get crashes/slowdowns whenever beams intersect when I play SCP. Now if I tried to run that on my computer...  :eek2: Very impressive, nonetheless.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Actually, this was part of an experiment to see what would happen if a beam from an allied ship hit another friendly ship. After the cruiser got owned, i checked all the sathani. All untouched. Not a single scratch on any of them, despite the fact that the sathanas on the upper left actually got hit by 3 or 4 bfreds from the other sathani.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

That sounds like a problem with the collision detection.  In smaller engagements, I've had warships friendly towards each other obliterate eachother with crossfire in both Open and retail.  I believe 'friendly' beams are supposed to deal reduced damage, because I've gotten hit by small green beams and large vasudan beams and everything in between, and so long as the firing ship is friendly, it's painful, but survivable.  Conversely, small green beams fired by hostile warships are pretty much instantly fatal.  I'm not sure if the damage is supposed to be reduced for non-player friendly-fire victims.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
That sounds like a theory. It would be similar to the effect Kara achieved when he created 100++ hercs to mob a cruiser. The beams + missiles flew through their intended targets.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
AFAIK, friendly beams don't hurt other friendly ships except for Alpha 1.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That sounds like a theory. It would be similar to the effect Kara achieved when he created 100++ hercs to mob a cruiser. The beams + missiles flew through their intended targets.

That shouldn't happen any more. Collision pairs are supposedly dynamic now. You can't run out of them like you could before (well not without running out of memory).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!

That's so bull. Why only hurt Alpha 1? The GTVA must have a plot out to kill Alpha 1. Yeah. That must be.

I think they still kill friendly fighters... other than Alpha 1.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5

That's so bull. Why only hurt Alpha 1? The GTVA must have a plot out to kill Alpha 1. Yeah. That must be.

Not sure, but I've seen a fighter get hit by three BFGreens and then come out alive. Then I tried it and I got fried to hell and got vapourized and was like aww f#@k this mission!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!

Not sure, but I've seen a fighter get hit by three BFGreens and then come out alive. Then I tried it and I got fried to hell and got vapourized and was like aww f#@k this mission!

I TOLD you it doesn't hurt other fighters. I watched my Vasudan wingmates flutter happily thru the BFReds on the Santhanas.

Offline Kie99

I've been hit with a huge green beam by the Colossus in High Noon and survived with little damage.  Was a much older build than the current SCP though.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Idk, whenever i see a fighter get hit by an anti-cap beam, the fighter is either vaporized, almost dead, or barely got grazed and is doing skippy. I've flown through a beam before. It was on the last mission of fs2. I saw this shivan red beam in front of me and it was about to shut off. Me in my ares was thinking, hey i wonder what happens if i flew through before it's gonna shut off.

Oh  man, instantaneous critical systems blow to all systems on my fighter and 2% hull :lol: And that's what happens when you fly through a shivan beam right before it's about to shutoff :lol:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
It sucks when your chasing a fighter, you see it explode in front of you only to have yourself explode a second later as you smash into the beam.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
In transcend and fs2 i've seen plenty of fighters vaporize when going into a friendly or enemy beam.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline jambo

• Lord
Needs moar picz!

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well, for ****s and giggles, i shat and giggled (felt liberated). And posted this picture. And whoever can guess which campaign it's from gets a surprise.

SMBFD

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Derelict!