Author Topic: Welcome to the FSU reborn!  (Read 7996 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Welcome to the FSU reborn!
Welcome one and all, to the reborn FSU!

You may be wondering why this is labeled as "reborn". While once a campaign, or two campaigns, or something, the FSU is now a completely open project, with two goals:
<ol>
<li>The advertisement of the SCP. This will be accomplished in two ways, a trailer (video), and a playable technology test:
<ol>
<li>The trailer will use the coolest in-game imagery available, from any source (campaign, modelers, etc) willing to contribute.</li>
<li>Secondly, the technology test will be a fly-through of the new features and capabilities of FSOpen, contained in a 2-3 mission "campaign". No storyline needed nor desired; briefings and in-mission voices will address the player directly, pointing out features such as specular lighting, HTL, etc etc.</li></ol></li>
<li>The second goal of the FSU will be to upgrade in every way possible the main FS2 campaign. Graphic enhancements using hi-poly models, mission and model bug fixes - the works. No changes to the gameplay (exceptions will be allowed by FSU staff consensus) and no changes at all to the storyline (no exceptions) will be allowed.</li></ol>
Both the technology test and the FS2 Campaign upgrade will be accompanied by the most comprehensive media.vp that the community can put together, with regular updates (new hi-poly models, etc.) as often as they come out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 04:00:13 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Welcome to the FSU reborn!
Kick ass!

Thanks Sandy. I guess now we need someone to bring over all the HTL threads from everywhere here.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Like a FS Modding moderator? >..>;
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What we need before that is a structured way of working alongside the SCP, handling the media.vp, etc. Any suggestions, anyone? I hate to admit, but I don't keep upt-o-date with the SCP, and so I'm definitely not the best person for the job.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.

<li>The advertisement of the SCP. This will be accomplished in two ways, a trailer (video), and a playable technology test:
<ol>
<li>The trailer will use the coolest in-game imagery available, from any source (campaign, modelers, etc) willing to contribute.</li>

*sneaks in from nowhere
>_>

<_<

>_>

<_<

>_>

*disappears into nowhere
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Both the technology test and the FS2 Campaign upgrade will be accompanied by the most comprehensive media.vp that the community can put together, with regular updates (new hi-poly models, etc.) as often as they come out.

Mmm, except I never said 'yes' to the idea. My response was along the lines of "No, needs improvement". A bit annoyed that you went and posted it out here...

The thing is, there are a bunch of problems with having an "up-to-date" mediaVP set as opposed to occassional releases. As of now, the packages are 50+ MB large. They could probably be optimized quite a bit, which is on the table for 3.6.8. Meaning that every time they're updated, it takes a while to upload them, and they're massive downloads, meaning large bandwidth usage.

The BT tracker might help with this, although my luck with BT has been extremely spotty, and I'm technically not allowed to have a server going. If I can get it to work, seeding once would be fine, but I'm wary of doing more than that. I like my internet.

Here's how I think things could be efficiently expanded.

A) The main mediaVPs are torrented, but stored on someone else's computer or on warpcore or hard-light, so that they're accessible
B) A thread is created that only one user has access to. Or is locked and that person can unlock it. Every time an update is posted, they package it in a nice little VP file and post it in the thread.
C) When a new release is made, the thread is cleared and the torrents are updated.

I toyed with the idea of a development version, that's updated as updates come along, but that would use loads of bandwidth from people repeatedly downloading the full-size files. If that's acceptable to Inqui or HL, it's doable and might help catch a few bugs.

Finally, I'd like to investigate handing over individual VPs to different people with the time and skills to keep them in tip-top condition. Say, GalEmp takes models, makes sure that all the models have textures without jpgtga off, removes redundant textures, compresses textures where appropriate, and of course adds new models...that sort of thing.
-C

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Welcome one and all, to the reborn FSU!

I can't believe you posted that whole thing from your mobile. :eek2:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
I was about to say, that was mighty impressive for T9 input...
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
>_>

*disappears into nowhere
Gah!
Please, I never intended that kitbashed font to actually be used for anything. Argh, that text is horrible!
The font Volition used is based off Insignia, a commercial font. You might be able to string something together using this tool.
Alternatively the Finchley font is free and quite similar, or just use Bank Gothic.

Aside from that, it shows promise. I like the fade, though a closer view would emphasize the contrast. You should definitely use FS2 music, it's bound to be more unfamiliar than Halo 2 music, and it's authentic.
Perhaps speed the pace up a bit, maybe with vertical scrolling. Most people won't want to download a hundred megs of video when half of it is text.  You might also want to rephrase it a bit; the code wasn't so much abandoned by as it was Volition, it was adopted by us. Give them some credit for giving it to us as a gift. :)

Good job, not bad, you have the talent. Keep it up.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Mmm, except I never said 'yes' to the idea. My response was along the lines of "No, needs improvement". A bit annoyed that you went and posted it out here...

Sorry, bad wording. I didn't mean moment-by-moment updates.

Look, this is what I had in mind. Using my position as HLP staff, I wanted to rally the troops and to make the FSU into what the title suggests it is - an upgrade package for Freespace. Something akin to what Counterstrike Source is to the original CS. I want to see the FSU work hand-in-hand with the SCP, where the SCP makes the advancements, and the FSU takes advantage of them. Until now, that's all been under one big (and slightly messy) banner called "SCP". I believe it will be beneficial for there to be a certain level of seperation (out of organization, not out of parting ways) between the code and the upgraded resources.

However, I fully realize that I'm completely out of touch with the current state of the SCP. Therefore, I need help from people such as yourself, WMC, to figure out what the best way forward is. I want to help, to use my abilities as a community leader to aid the SCP in any way possible. I have a few fairly specific ideas about a couple of things (namely, a tech test and a trailer), but the whole issue of organizing the media.vp, gathering resources, etc... that's out of my league. The FSU needs help and guidance from others in those areas, not me.

So... are you willing to help here? We could use it. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

Ahh, I see. Yeah, I'll help. :)
-C

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Then enjoy the new avatar. :)

So................. suggestions? ;)

Offline WMCoolmon

After discussing it with redmenace...

The mediaVPs are not a project or a convenience tool...they're an end product. In the beginning, they were something of a convenience tool, but now they are an integral part of fs2_open releases. They're not meant for modders, as much as they're meant for people who are just downloading Freespace for the first time. It's not necessary, nor is it even a good idea to keep them constantly updated with all new happenings on the forum.

So here's the updated plan.
  • MediaVPs will continue to be version-incremented only when a new fs2_open release comes out.
  • However, patches will be released on every weekend that there is a new piece of art. The original set will not be modified.
  • If a new piece of art requires a feature that's only available in CVS builds, it will be withheld from the mediaVP patches until the next official fs2_open release is out with that feature. (However, we should have a wikipedia page for those features.)
-C

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
All i want to know, is if we are still continuing with the original plan of this project thingy ...
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
All i want to know, is if we are still continuing with the original plan of this project thingy ...

If you're referring to the campaign, then that's been moved and renamed to Unsung Heroes. For the goals of FSU, see the first post in this thread.

Offline Boomer

Man, *shakes head* I leave for just a few months to play Halo, and what happens?  The entire community undergoes a freaken metamorphosis!

<not that that's a bad thing...>

Count me in guys!
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!