Author Topic: Bug Reports  (Read 4847 times)

Goober, where's the ideal place for us notify/annoy the Port team with "I think I found a bug" messages?  Obviously, you entertain our plenty of our queries here on the forum...  I'm just wondering if there's a more convenient avenue (for you) to have bug reports (like mantis).

See, "I think I found a bug" , but it's so obvious that I'm rather sure that you already know about it.  If there's a list of known bugs, then I can check it and know whether to bother you or not.  ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, we used to have a bug report thread, but it seems to have gotten deleted or unstickied.  Feel free to post your comment in this thread. :)

Okie doke, will do.  And while I was searching for such a topic I came across these two.  Perhaps one could be resurrected:
"Post old FSOpen/FSPort bugs here"
"Post retail or gameplay bugs here!"

I should preface that, in looking at the forum, I've noticed that a great number of problems are simply do to the fact that someone hasn't downloaded necessary VPs or has additional VPs active that should not be.  I need to double check to make sure that that isn't just my case...

That said, here's my issue: I just finished the mission with the capture of the taranis "First Strike" (SM1-10A.fs2).  The movie that was played afterwards seemed to be ancients2.mve when it should have been hallfight.mve.  I’m then taking to mission “The Aftermath” (I don’t remember whether that’s the right one or not, but I think it is)  So I suppose I either have the wrong movie playing after the capture, or I’ve advanced to the wrong mission.

Setup:
3.6.9 build – and I’m sorry, but I’m not sure whether at the moment of the issue I was using RC7, taylor’s gamma build, or the latest CVS (rc7dot7).
3.6.8 Zeta VPs: (actually, whether I or not I have mediavps folder included within mod.ini, ancients2.mve still plays just before “The Aftermath”, so these don’t seem to play a factor)

Command line:
Well, I typically use this:
-mod fsport_mod -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -snd_preload  (pretty much the default for “high memory usage features on” launcher option)
But ancient2.mve still plays before “The Aftermath” when I run with a simple
-mod fsport_mod

Thanks.  :cool:

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
No, Ancients2 is the right movie. Hallfight doesn't play until before Playing Judas, I think.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Garan

In the Freespace 1 mission : The Darkness and the Light

To win this mission you have to actually fail it (the ramses gets destroyed)
I honestly failed the mission 4 times, but then I understood. So the fifth time I get it right and what does the game tell me:
"you have failed this mission 5 times, bla bla bla" So I don't get any of my 23 kills including the cain class...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Yeah... I had that problem... I kept saving and disabling the Ramses and it took those Shiatin bombers forever.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Bleh, I tried attacking the Taranis anyway and the Ramses exploded.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I actually managed to destroy the Tyranus once.  I was quite pleased with myself, until the debrief told me that I'd failed.  It was even voiced in the original FS1 voices, so this was in the game originally.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Killing the Taranis isn't hard, just not easy, but with the lack of information of what you're supposed to do, I would've done it if the circumstances were different. I played that mission several times to see if I could actually capture the Ramses. Eventually I gave up...

No, Ancients2 is the right movie. Hallfight doesn't play until before Playing Judas, I think.
I remember from FreeSpace 1 retail that after you successfully disable the Taranis, you see a cutscene where commandos go in to investigate the Taranis (i.e., hallfight).  I don't think it would make sense to see them go into a ship that disabled a few missions ago.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Um... No.

Hallfight took place on an Asmodeus freighter, not the Taranis.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Um... No.

Hallfight took place on an Asmodeus freighter, not the Taranis.

It was actually an Azreal transport but was misnamed a fighter in the cutscene

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Ah, so it was. :)

Not fighter, freighter. :P

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Ah, so it was. :)

Not fighter, freighter. :P

I know... I'm sorry... it's been a bad week   :lol:

Offline Garan

I actually managed to destroy the Tyranus once.  I was quite pleased with myself, until the debrief told me that I'd failed.  It was even voiced in the original FS1 voices, so this was in the game originally.

Ok, so I guess it's normal that I failed. Just a little weird that killing an enemy ship will make you fail a mission...

Other Bugs:

- In the mission where you scan all the ships, scanning the Eva is pretty near impossible. You have to scan some very small sweet spot that's located who knows where. (maybe it's supposed to be like that but whatever)

- In that same mission, after redoing it several times. I spawned with an Ulysses instead of a dragon class! That was surprising but pretty cool, makes the mission much easier.

(And thank you for making Freespace port. Great remake, almost perfect)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

Ok, so I guess it's normal that I failed. Just a little weird that killing an enemy ship will make you fail a mission...

The debrief says that Command had plans to capture the Tyranus, and this would negate the following mission, and the nature of the Lucifer's attack on Tombaugh station, so I can see why they'd want to make sure things went a specific way.

Other Bugs:

- In the mission where you scan all the ships, scanning the Eva is pretty near impossible. You have to scan some very small sweet spot that's located who knows where. (maybe it's supposed to be like that but whatever)

As the Eva is arriving, turn around to match its course, divert max power to the engines and stomp on the burners.  As it passes above you, use the select subsyetem button and it should select a subsystem alot closer to you, within the scan range

- In that same mission, after redoing it several times. I spawned with an Ulysses instead of a dragon class! That was surprising but pretty cool, makes the mission much easier.
THAT's a weird one.  Never encountered that before.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
...divert max power to the engines...

you should have done that the instant the mission started, as the other two do you absolutely no good in that mission.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, I do myself every time, but I wanted to make sure for his sake.

Offline Garan

...divert max power to the engines...

Well, yeah I did that already. Not that much of a noob! I just get weird Ulysses class appearing.

Actually, it happened again today in the save the Ramses mission. My ship was a Ulysses and there was no Alpha wing!

I think it might be because I changed pilots while in-game. I started with pilot A which is at mission 2 of silent threat. Then I switched via the barracks to pilot B which is at mission "save the Ramses" of Freespace 1.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Retail with the port, there's a glitch in the briefing for the first mission (Eve of Destruction), after the three training missions. The stage 4 animation doesn't appear, leaving that area a bright pink, and it doesn't do the text or voice for stage 4. Just moving the cursor over the > button causes it to quit. (Clicking Commit goes ahead to the mission.)

Oh fine! I try it again and now it works, when I was going to get the error message to post. But it did sit there on pink until I moved the cursor over the > button. It crashed when I was playing the campaign and did it again in the simulator just before I posted about it. :P (Just like a car with an intermittent problem, runs fine when you take it to the shop!) ;)

Edit: Blah. Soo I quit the sim with Escape then moved the cursor over to the exit to quit, and it quit alright, didn't have to click. Randomness....

Could be something a bit off with the latest nVidia drivers for the 6500. In normal FS2 or with the port, sections of the hall and other screen graphics are offset a bit, with 1 pixel wide vertical lines. The bits that animate when hovered over will snap into position as they move, then jump back out of line when they stop. (And you should see how horribly wrong it handles Delphine Software's 'Darkstone' which is a DirectX 6 game! I thought DX9 drivers were supposed to support all prior versions? That game works fine on all other cards I've tried with DX9.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 10:24:20 pm by bizzybody »
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart