Author Topic: Imperial Star Destroyer (WIP)  (Read 93450 times)

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Re: Imperial Star Destroyer (WIP)
Use an ANI on the legs, so that it looks like it's walking? Hmm... Wouldn't work. It'd keep moving that animation even if it stops, and etc... So as all of you say, animated models. He wait ! You can do rotating subsystems, right? And turrets rotate/turn on hostiles? Make it a turret ( like the ones on the Orion ) without a firing point. Or a targeting laser.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Rotating subsystems are one thing, but for something complex like a walk cycle, that's a lot of scripting to hand rotate every joint.  In addition, there's also the problem of whether the engine can even figure out how to make the model stay on the ground and handle terrain.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FreeSpace = Descent (sometimes)  .. they share some code (there is still some Descent code in FS).  And yes, Descent3 had walkers, treaded tanks, and other interesting things.

Offline starlord

Yeah, I guess but there's still somewhat of a gap that has to be bridged.

However, when it's done, FS will truly be gorgeous. Imagine being able to fly into the bowels of the death star 2 à la descent or take out walkers in hoth...

Especially since this might get used elsewhere; Might be a good idea to use this procedure on "indestructable" shivan heavy units like the hara or the gargant, a bit like the karnak which is a step forward.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...Imagine being able to fly into the bowels of the death star 2 à la descent...

That may not be a bad idea, but that would require a huge frame-per-second-eater DS interior model.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
...Imagine being able to fly into the bowels of the death star 2 à la descent...

That may not be a bad idea, but that would require a huge frame-per-second-eater DS interior model.

Or cleverly tiled detail boxes on a lower poly framework extending from the "completed" section of the station.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

[tangent] It's so nice to always see the new post thing in this board now [/tanget]
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!