Author Topic: Which files to copy from Windows?  (Read 2262 times)

Which files to copy from Windows?
I'm trying to install Freespace on my Linux partition.  I got the binary, but I couldn't get the CD file extraction script on the wiki to work.  It ran for almost an hour without doing anything.  Since I have Freespace installed on Windows, I figured it would probably be easier to just copy the needed files from my other partition.   Which files besides the main VPs need to be copied and where do they need to be put?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Which files to copy from Windows?
Copy everything, then run my Installer on top of it. It'll fix up everything and get anything you're missing.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, copying everything definitely works and gives you access to your old pilots and stuff (both needed and spare), but if you wanna be more selective or, so to speak, "start from a clean table"...

For basic retail FreeSpace2 functionality, you only need to copy the VP's in the root freespace2 directory (although in some cases you'll need to manually create the data directory, data/players/single and /multi subfolders because Linux is sometimes a ***** with making new directories and getting their permissions correctly...). The VP's are root_fs2, smarty_fs2, sparky_fs2, sparky_hi_fs2, stu_fs2, tango1_fs2, tango2_fs2, tango3_fs2 and warble_fs2.

Obviously, any mods (like mediavp's) you want to use will need to be placed on the freespace2 directory as well.

But to answer the question, the VP's really are [AFAIK] the only files you absolutely need for making a functional FreeSpace2 installation... that, and the executable build(s) of course.

If you have a lot of customized stuff that you want to retain, then the easiest way is of course to

$ sudo cp -R "/media/hdd/WINDOZE-PARTITION/Program Files/FreeSpace2/" "/path/to/freespace2/"

Substitute the paths with whatever they are in your computer, but the basic idea is the same.

AS to where you want to put them in your filesystem, that's basically your call, basically you could run it from /the/single/most/awesomest/game/in/existence/ -folder but using that path could become a bit tedious after a while, so perhaps /games/freespace2 would do the trick. Slam the VP files, possibly data directory and whatever mods you wanna run into that directory, paste a fs2_open linux build onto the directory, fix permissions, create startup scripts if you wish, and knock yourself out (and hope everything works fine).

I'm getting segmentation errors when I try to play Beyond the Red Line on Linux, for example... and sometimes it jams the X server so I need to restart it (might be a good idea to play in separate X server), and sometimes it freezes the whole box so that no keyboard command works and I need to hardware-boot (cut the power) before it goes away...

So it's kinda exactly like in Windows, but on a free OS. ;7 ...actually, not. I don't remember when FS2_Open last actually crashed on Windows on itself...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I finally got a chance to play around with this again.  I copied the VPs and whenever I try to run it, the screen goes black and comes back saying "Segmentation Fault" with the mouse locked.  Any idea what might be causing this?  What do you mean by play in a separate X server?  Sorry, I'm a Linux newbie.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Are you using a self-compiled build of FS2_Open or a readily supplied one (if so, where did you get it)?

What kind of hardware are you using, and what distro are you using (and what version, 64bit or 32bit)?

Also, I keep getting occasional segmentation errors but not immediately after starting the game, instead I get them on some specific points of some missions (as well as some seemingly random ones). I have no idea what's causing them either.

By running the game in separate X server, I mean that you can run multiple graphical interfaces with Linux, or multiple virtual desktops... and what happens in one X server usually doesn't affect other, which means that if the one you're playing the game on locks, you can just Ctrl+Alt+Backspace that and your "work desktop" is unaffected. This won't help if you lose all input, thogh, but it might be worth it nevertheless.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Here's my specs.

Processor:  AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM:  1 GB DDR SDRAM
Graphics:  ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Sound:  Realtek AC'97
160 GB Hard drive

I got the binary from Turey's installer.  Maybe I'll try compiling it myself and see if that helps.