Author Topic: Rating bar?  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Any chance the admin in charge of wiki maintenance could insert these so we could put them onto the pages for released mods and campaigns? It would be good for people (non-community members in particular) to be able to see, at a glance, what was worth downloading and what wasn't. Not always going to be useful, but it might help someone choose between, say, Derelict and Neo Terra if they've just dusted off their old copy of FS2 and decided to try one of these mod thingoes. :D

This link might help you get started.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Ratings aren't Wiki material. Freespacemods.net is good for that purpose. Is rating a campaign even popular for FSers? As far as I can remember, neither of Skippy's lists were overwhelmed with ratings, to say the least. I don't know about Freespacemods, but I assume that are way too many mods and campaigns that aren't even rated once. Hell, even campaigns that are on the ModDB are scarcely rated. Of my three campaigns submitted there, only one received two ratings altogether, and it's been years.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Probably because people can't be bothered to rate it.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ratings aren't Wiki material.

Says who? :wtf: Just because wikipedia is encyclopaedic doesn't mean all wikis have to be the same. Wikis are for information. If that information happens to include people's opinions on a mod or campaign, well why wouldn't that be a useful addition?
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think it would be.  It's certainly justifiable if you consider the Wiki as a successor to Skippy's list.

Trouble is, I have no time to work on it.  See if one of the other five admins can do anything. :D

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
I sometimes like the idea BUT there are some campaigns in which Freders probably spent 100s of hours doing and that are just ... average at best. And no compensation for the effort.

I believe few if any campaigns are inherently bad. I believe most bad campaigns (except GW Part II for instance) could be improved to the level of "Good" at least. So maybe we should add a "way to improve" section to any "rating" section, and start from the beginning the rating when the "improved" campaign is out.

Offline eliex

So maybe we should add a "way to improve" section to any "rating" section, and start from the beginning the rating when the "improved" campaign is out.

I think that's a good idea.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I sometimes like the idea BUT there are some campaigns in which Freders probably spent 100s of hours doing and that are just ... average at best. And no compensation for the effort.
Well, that's not our problem. Effort doesn't dictate how good a campaign is.

Offline Shade

As a stopgap measure, you could simply upload some rating bar images and use those until a more elegant solution is implemented.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
But then there's no cumulative average obtained
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Shade

True. I feel kinda stupid now for not thinking of that snag :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.