Author Topic: Beware - car driving goes horror (IGP, looks interesting, story to follow?)  (Read 1257 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Beware - car driving goes horror (IGP, looks interesting, story to follow?)
This could potentially be interesting, thoughts?

Demo available on IndieDB here

Readme file:

Hidden Text: Show
Welcome to BEWARE demo v.000

here's some useful information to get you started:

I would recommend first setting the resolution to 1280x720 and if you get good enough fps, set it higher. You can display an fps counter by holding the "L" key.

"Reset" in the start menu will reset your progress back to the beginning.

The game has stealth elements, you can avoid being detected. There is also one "mission" for you to discover. Use logical thinking and intuition, just as you would do in real life - there is no hand-holding in this game.

//*****
While in-game, you can access a pause menu by pressing the "esc" key. It will only work if your car is stopped. The pause menu offers these settings:

1) "Front lock": higher numbers mean stronger steering assistance. You may want to start with the value 43 and reduce that number once you get comfortable with the driving.

2) "Rear stiffness" is the strength of the rear anti-roll bar. The higher the number the more the car will tend to over-steer. Default is 10000 and will make the car's handling more balanced. Still, consider you will be driving a rear-engined RWD car with 59% of the weight on the rear wheels.

3) "Shadow Distance": 0: no real-time shadows. 1: shadow distance 70m. 2: shadow distance 150m.Setting shadows to 0 considerably improves performance.

4) "VSync" off/on

5) "Music volume" ...because the music will get annoying sooner or later. More tracks and possibly an adaptive modular system will follow in later updates.

6) "Quit toStart Menu"
//******

There is a known physics bug: when you hit a steep slope of the terrain with one of the front wheels, it can happen thet the car will respond by flipping/bouncing off unrealistically.

Finally, if you get stuck in mud, try gently tapping the accelerator to keep rpm close to 2000, this will help getting back traction without the wheels spinning.

Have a nice trip :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:26:18 pm by jr2 »

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Beware - car driving goes horror (IGP, looks interesting, story to follow?)
They made the earth flat, they know.

I've seen this in development for a while, I like how the aesthetic hasn't changed at all since the very first prototype (which was third person view only). Once they implemented First Person it looks proper cool :D

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Even in a video too scary for me.

But well, even Sync and Ghost Revenants were too scary for me back then... and that was Freespace.

Have to look for my husband to hold my hands asap.  :nervous:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.