(1/6) > >>

Shivan Hunter:
The polygons I've been p1mping in the Celebration of FS thread:

Size comparison 1: small rocks
Size comparison 2: some larger rocks
Size comparison 3: All larger rocks
Size comparison 4: collection models

Download

The pack consists of 3 sets of 4 asteroids ranging from fighter to cruiser size (asteroids.tbl not included but they're well-suited for that purpose), "collection" models of these, and five larger rocks, ranging from cruiser size to Colossus size. Also a test mission which is the source of these screenshots. It's quite slow as I really went overboard with the scenery - it averages ~30fps on my PC.

The "collection" models include many of the smaller asteroids in a single subobject (with a single texture). This allows for an obscene amount of rocks in a mission without approaching the ship limit. This approach comes with drawbacks: the rocks must all move as one object, and since they're all one subobject, must all be destroyed together as well. These models are therefore not well-suited for interaction with the mission.

All of the models also have no debris, though it wouldn't be terribly hard to use smaller rocks as debris for the larger ones. If there's demand for this I'll make a new version.

Also note that if you modify any of the larger POFs (the ones that come dangerously close to the vert limit :p), FRED or FS will take several minutes to build the cache again. Just wait it out, it hasn't crashed. Most of you probably know this, just a heads up for those who don't.

One more caveat, and possibly the reason for a lot of the slowness in the test mission: if two of these collection models have overlapping bounding boxes, even if they both have the "does not move" flag, FS will do a per-poly collision check between them. They all have tens of thousands of polys so this gets pretty CPU expensive. Try not to have too many of them overlapping.

Mongoose:
That's no moon...

(ohai Mimas!)

Spoon:
Neat, gonna check this out.

(Also, them fightin' words on that colossus)

coffeesoft:
Downloading, thanks   :yes:

tomimaki:
It rocks! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version