Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The FRED Workshop

[WIP] FS1 Upgrade

<< < (2/21) > >>

Nyctaeus:
Have you consider some new classes of ships? Something to reflect warships from previous generations of warship design, or terran-vasudan war era ships? That's what I sorely missed when I play first Freespace after rethinking that matter. For example we still have Orions, Fenrises, Typhons and Atens in FS2, 32 years after the Great War so most of GTA warships from GW are probably relatively new designs. There are a lot of niches between classes of ships.

I was thinking about something like that with Col.Hornet. We called it Great War: Reimagined and we wanted to include some old classes like Zagreus as Unification War-era destroyer slowly phased out from service by Orion and some other classes.

Trivial Psychic:
If older classes of ships were to be added to this project, they would have to be background ships.  Also, the only ones I know about would be from the Unification War mod.

BTW, update adding in M02-08 through 10.

CT27:

--- Quote from: Trivial Psychic on November 14, 2016, 05:23:12 pm ---Changing weapon values and Fury AI could negatively affect balance, and potentially add significant workload to compensate.  That said, I may give it a try.

--- End quote ---

I was suggesting it to get gameplay  to accurately reflect game text/plot.

0rph3u5:

--- Quote from: Trivial Psychic on November 13, 2016, 09:38:06 pm ---M02-09 - Evangelist
-Have more cruisers involved in the engagement for both sides, since Eva is supposed to be leading a fleet.

--- End quote ---

That's avery labour intensive task as of the five FS1-era cruiser types only the terran ones make good combatants before extensive maneuvers are planned into this - and that is even before you consider the poor hp count on what is labeled "Main Turret" for each in the retail.pofs (and their turrets overall)

Trivial Psychic:
Although I haven't settled on it, I have considered Betrayal's suggestion of additional ship classes and have identified 3 that look FS1-era-ish.  The first is Trashman's Aten MK2.  It could be a beefier cousin of the Aten, perhaps in the Leviathan class with enough speed to make it a threat.  I would need to change the name though.  The other two would be more legacy ships.  One is the Henderson, which is either a destroyer or a dreadnought.  Anyway, it looks like an older class to me.  The other is the Morana class corvette.  I could easily reskin it with Orion blue & window lights.  The engine stock is a bit un-freespacy, but as it is an older design, elements like this can be overlooked.  I considered the Calypso, but I don't like those weird fins on the ventral.  Also, th engine stocks look weird.  The Reliant and Constellation designs are established in Unification War as pre-FS1, but I think that they would be too old to still be in service.  I know the Faustus dates back to that era, but UT says that it was state of the art when it was introduced.

Again, if I chose to include new ships, they would need to be in heavily-modified missions, such as the proposed Eva fleet-on-fleet engagement, or as background pieces such as in M1-08, near the Arcadia.

Edit: Sorry, I meant the Sagittarius, not the Constellation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version