Author Topic: X-Wing Virtual Machine  (Read 8867 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
X-Wing Virtual Machine
So, this is another semi-OT subject matter for this particular board, but I don't think folks will mind:

The X-Wing Virtual Machine!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

...I spent quite a while looking for updates on this over the weekend, and seeing as several of them are fairly recent, that was very encouraging indeed. Essentially, the XWVM is a rebuilt application of TG's old X-Wing "simulator." It is a mod, per-se, which to my understanding uses (or has the option to use) the old game assets, but runs the program with modern standards. If you follow the previous link, I think you'd be quite impressed if you've not heard of this before.

I ultimately deemed to start a thread here, as I also noted some familiar names:  FekLeyrTarg (ohai!).

Needless to say, if you've not heard of this one, I think it's worth keeping up with.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: X-Wing Virtual Machine
Indeed! We have close ties with XWVM, and we both have many of the same beta testers. They are doing some great work over there, so go check it out! For folks who are interested most of the chatter occurs on the XWVM Discord, similar to FotG.

Respective links to Discord channels:

WXVM: https://discord.gg/k3ac95g

Fate of the Galaxy: https://discord.gg/k7ZMdmt

Did FotG share models with that project too?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
There's been some talk about sharing but so far both FotG and XWVM have their own unique models.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
wookieejedi,

Thank you for the Discord links - had a great chat last night with some of the XWVM staff. Again, really looking forward to a release date!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

There's been some talk about sharing but so far both FotG and XWVM have their own unique models.

How concrete are these proposals? Any chance of that happening or just "Ok, here's the idea"?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

How concrete are these proposals? Any chance of that happening or just "Ok, here's the idea"?

It's really up to the original content creators, and since there are a LOT of different creators in both mods, it gets tricky.  All I can say is a big fat maybe.  I know there are some individuals who prefer their work to stay with the project they made it for, others might be more flexible.

So is there anybody who runs around and tries to get permissions? I'd presume it doesn't matter anyway before FotG is released, but I'm still curious.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Not really or in any official capacity. It's also a bit tricky since both game engines have very separate requirements for what a good looking and good performance model should entail.

Ah OK. :)