Author Topic: Question about message lists  (Read 1985 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Question about message lists
So it's been a while since I did any fredding, so I am working on a mission using blue planet mod and I have a small issue. The mission is very talky and I have done my message list. The problem is whe  the messages a displaying in the middle of the hud it doesnt show the whole message before disappearing to the right hand corner. I have tried increasing the time between messages but seems to make no difference. Even short messages dont display the full text. Have I missed something incredibly  simple to fix this?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Question about message lists
Have you checked if it is an issue specific to the Blue Planet-dependency? I remember they use a custom font, so they might have modified the text draw time on the message box.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
i will check it out on regular FS2 and see if that makes a difference

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
In BP>Config>Axmessage.cfg, add  "AfterVoice": 12.0, between the "Length" and "TitleColor" lines. This may or may not cause problems for BP, though if your mission is its own mod using BP as a dependency then you should be good.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
cheers colt. No my missions are in the BP mod as i am only using BP assets

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What delays are you adding between the messages? The delays are in MILLISECONDS so the values you enter need to be in the thousands.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Also message lists suck, use chained send-message events, they own and are better.

One of the advantages of splitting message lists is that you don't have people talking how they're going to win while the mission failed the message sender got killed in the meantime.

Offline 0rph3u5

Breaking message list up also has the advantage that you can more easily randomize dialogue from walk-on parts or condense adaptations to the mission progression, like so:

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( has-arrived-delay 14 "Prophecy" )
   ( when
      ( is-event-true-delay
         "result - repair"
      )
      ( send-message
         "Sovereign"
         "High"
         "prophecy arrives 2a - sov"
      )
   )
   ( when
      ( or
         ( is-event-true-delay
            "result - self destruct"
         )
         ( is-event-true-delay
            "result - destroy"
         )
      )
      ( send-message
         "Sovereign"
         "High"
         "prophecy arrives 2b - sov"
      )
   )
)
+Name: msg prophecy arrives 2
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Occasionally, I will use send-message-list so I can have it as part of an event that takes place as soon as its conditions are met, but have the message play slightly after.  For example, an enemy ship gets destroyed and the directive attached to the event goes true immediately, but if I also include a send-message-list use, with a 2000 ms delay and only one message, where the message is a yeah-we-got-him message, it will appear to happen 2 seconds later, but I didn't need to chain a second event 2 seconds later for the message, or have the directive wait that 2 seconds to show complete because I wanted a message delay in there.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Indeed, but it's somewhat ironic that the best use for this SEXP is something different than it was originally proposed for.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
This SEXP is kind of a mess because it requires you to manually add, and in a quite disturbing way to be honest, all information related to the messages you want to be displayed on screen. It takes a lot of time, much more than what I'd expect from a SEXP that is supposed to make things easier. As Battuta said, it's not as good as using a chain of events and send-message. I admit it's the SEXP I use, however, and I chained up to 30 messages with it.

If I recall correctly, unless things have changed in the past few years, there's also a limit to the maximum number of messages which can be used with this SEXP. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please).

It would be much more handier if used on a completely different interface that would allow you to select a number of messages in the box and get them "transferred" instantaneously to the SEXP. The procedure I dream of would be something like this: select the messages from the box, then get them to appear immediately in the SEXP in the same order they show up in the box itself. At that point, you'd simply have to select their recipients, intervals in milliseconds, and priorities. It'd be much, much faster.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:00:14 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

My vision would be a custom dialog editor where you get stuff like message length autocalculated, fiddling with message lists only makes sense in txt editor; and how relocating events often breaks stuff behind your back it's certainly the easiest way.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Imagine a FRED with functioning keyboard shortcuts

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok cheers guys, one example of the message is, "Alpha 3 scan the GTSc Inglewood for survivors" and the millicount is 20000, it only displays up till "alpha 3 scan the GT" then the message box disappears, but I will use the chained message events. Is there a tutorial on how to set it up correctly?

Imagine a FRED with functioning keyboard shortcuts

I'm afraid the computational power in my head isn't capable of going that far

Ok cheers guys, one example of the message is, "Alpha 3 scan the GTSc Inglewood for survivors" and the millicount is 20000, it only displays up till "alpha 3 scan the GT" then the message box disappears, but I will use the chained message events. Is there a tutorial on how to set it up correctly?

Does it behave differently then if you use simply send-message?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'm experiencing the exact same issue with a version of Axem's message/HUD script (Nightmare knows what I'm talking about). Increasing its font size beyond a certain limit will get the messages to become mostly unreadable. Have you edited the modpack?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline 0rph3u5

Is there a tutorial on how to set it up correctly?

insert conditions and nested whens as needed

==================

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Ok cheers guys, one example of the message is, "Alpha 3 scan the GTSc Inglewood for survivors" and the millicount is 20000, it only displays up till "alpha 3 scan the GT" then the message box disappears,
Is it still not working? If so then try editing the "Length" to 0.1 instead. This is my current setup for example...
"Speed": 0.03,
"Length": 0.1,
"AfterVoice": 12.0,