Author Topic: Drift?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So, I'm continuing to work on 'In The Beginning' for TBP, and there's a mission where a derelict ship is found in hyperspace, but as there is a gravitational incline in hyperspace, I want to give the ship a continuous drift.  I've tried using lat-ship-maneuver to get it to skid sideways, but it hasn't seemed to work.  If I'm reading the sexp description properly, it requires the axis of travel to have a speed figure in the tables.  Since capital ships aren't often assigned lateral maneuvering speeds, even exercising the sexp's option of forcing the ship to exceed it's maximum speed, won't work.  Telling it to go double its top speed won't work, if the top speed is 0.

Does anyone have a non-table-changing, non-LUA method of simulating drift?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The only ways to do this involve either modifying the table or using Lua.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
You could try using an invisible object moving at a low speed to simulate the drift in combination with an every-time event and relative coordinate manipulation. I cannot promise that it will be seamless - with high speeds it certainly not - but maybe a low speed could cover it.

Its a long shot...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I considered the idea of using an invisible, stealth object docked to it, and having it pull the ship along, but then the derelict ship would READ as docked to something.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I realize that "non table changing" was part of the equation here, but you can use a modular table to give the ship the ability to glide, and then force a glide through sexps. Ships will not use glide anywhere unless specified in the ai profiles table, and for sufficiently big ships it never becomes a problem. BP adds the glide ability to a Shivan capship (the rakshasa iirc, for use in one of the vishnan missions) and it hasn't got knock on effects anywhere else.

Bp2-13 also has a ship in an uncontrolled portside roll, you could look there for ideas