Author Topic: Sandwich's asteroids  (Read 5664 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
For some reason I can't post a reply to the thread...anyway, can someone A) direct me to a 3DS->COB converter, B) convert the asteroids to COB or POF?
-C

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Lith can convert 3DS to COB.

I have a similar project almost completed. I'll just have to convert this stuff to POF and add some shine maps.

http://www.8ung.at/dabrain/asteroids.rar

I'm not sure about the polycount though. Some of them have over 2k polys...

edit: Old-New
http://img149.exs.cx/img149/7924/asteroids16lz.jpg
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 05:47:36 pm by 1688 »
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Lynx

Do you have TS? At least the higher versions can open 3ds normally.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
3dexploration is the best way IMHO, elseway you risk to have distortions in the smooth shaders

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Bah! I can convert them if they're 3ds files...

But I don't know if I'll be able to, what with me never finishing a mesh and all... :doubt:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Uh oh, the Furs getting Catty :p

As far as Asteroids are concerned, I've been working on some myself, but I make them in Lightwave.

I tend to use .obj files as my conversion media, 3DX can be a bit funny about Lightwave and 3DS Objects, it auto-triples the polys and doesn't always get them the right way round etc.

Offline WMCoolmon

Unfortunately, they're stored in a MAX file, and Truespace 3.2 doesn't do max files. :doubt:

Anyone able/willing to help?
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
DoGA ought to be able to open em...or at least lithunwrap. I'll see if i can do it after i come back from grocery shopping.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, I figured how to get max to convert to pof, so I should give this a try. Ne?  How big is the average asteroid, BTW?

Offline WMCoolmon

There are three rough sizes for the nine asteroid types (original, a, and b)

01: 100x100x115
02: 50x100x60
03: 40x40x40

I can always rescale with POF-CS though. :)
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
PCS can rescale? Since when? Or do you mean pof->cob->pof

Offline WMCoolmon

Yeah, pof->cob->pof.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
My experience with that has been bastardly at best; PCS doesn't center things properly, nor does it seperate out geometry that may have been left out of the primary model for texture ordering reasons.  If you absolutely have to convert something out of POF then it's your only choice, but if there's any chance of getting the conversion cob you'd better take advantage of that.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ahh. Forgot about this...

Ehh. Perhaps I'll look into it, perhaps not. Have to see what I have to do...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
There is a version of Sandwich's asteroids in the 3.6.7 media VP patch #2.  Already done ;)

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yes, i just moved a bunch of threads... you just bumped a 9 month old thread. :p

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
W00t!
I still hadn't figured out the new post layout, and didn't see the posted on date.  Oops :nervous:

I needed to post that it was done anyway ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
BTW, I hope that any and all smoothing was removed from those asteroids... they're hi-poly enough for there not to be any large flat surfaces; smoothing would just make it look.... all smoothy. Erm. Yeah. :nervous:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill