Author Topic: Is It Possible To Use The Knossos Luncher Offline?  (Read 5407 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Is It Possible To Use The Knossos Luncher Offline?
Are you able to join the HLP Discord server? It's much easier to send screenshots on how to get things setup over Discord :) If you are unable to join though we can go from there.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
THE VERDICT

After installing Knossos, setting up the Library folder (a new folder inside my installed Freespace 2 root folder), placing my mods in that Library folder, made a "mod.json" file (I really have no idea with this, I just edit the "mod title"), I started the Knossos.

I click the "Explore" tab and my mod is there (no logo) along with the Retail FS2. I set the FSO build (FSO 22 which I placed in my FS2 root folder. Then I click Play....

BLAM! Error: "The Aftermath Reboot requires FSO which is missing."

I click Play on the Retail FS2 and Error: "No executable was found for this mod." I copied the FS2 executables from my FS2 root folder into the "FS2" in the Knossos library folder (I found that there are FS2 VPs in there). Still I get the same error: no executable.

Ok, I am guessing that my Knossos does not know where my FS2 game is. There is no manual setting or option to set my FS2 game root folder. Knossos doesn't have that option.

So, I think Knossos is really dependent on the internet. And since no one can help me on this, I have to let Knossos go. It's not for me.

Offline CT27

I don't think you should have put Knossos stuff in your main FS2 folder.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I don't think you should have put Knossos stuff in your main FS2 folder.

Yeah. I got that  one. I figured out the folder locations. I am trying to "decipher" the mod.json file syntaxes.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
BLAM! Error: "The Aftermath Reboot requires FSO which is missing."

I click Play on the Retail FS2 and Error: "No executable was found for this mod." I copied the FS2 executables from my FS2 root folder into the "FS2" in the Knossos library folder (I found that there are FS2 VPs in there). Still I get the same error: no executable.

Ok, I am guessing that my Knossos does not know where my FS2 game is. There is no manual setting or option to set my FS2 game root folder. Knossos doesn't have that option.

That's because the FSO builds are stored differently from the mods.

In the folder you have designated as your Knossos Libary, there should be at least 3 subdirectories: "bin", "FS2" and "temp" (as well additional folders for any Total Conversion, if you happen to have them)

"FS2" should contain all mods and a copy of your FS2 install (which the Knossos installer will create by copying an existing installation).

"bin" should contain folder for your FSO builds, with subfolders names like "FSO-22.0.0" (for the 22.0.0 release build) or "FSO-21.3.0-20210916" (for the nightly build with that check list).

Each build subfolder is set up like a knossos mod in of itself - including its own mod.json. But instead of a folders for "data" or "package" you will have one named for your OS (e.g "windows"). That folder will have further subfolders for type of builds (x64, x64_avx, x86, x86_avx) which then contain all the files that relate to that build download - from the .exes to all manner of .dlls.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Yeah, I did all that Orph3u5. Even tinkered and manually placed the mod.json files for the FSO (located in "bin/windows" just outside the folder "x64"), inside my mod's folder (inside "FreespaceOpen/FS2" folder), and inside MVPS-4.5.1 folder (inside "FreespaceOpen/FS2" folder).

Still, no luck with Knossos. That thing doesn't want to work with me. Knossos definitely needs an internet connection to update its content (placing some configuration files or something) and manual and offline installation and tinkering doesn't work. There are just too many "fail safe" features in it that prevent tinkering.