Author Topic: Mandala Prime  (Read 3599 times)

Offline AV8R

In the "Destiny of Peace" mini-campaign, which, if I'm not mistaken, takes place shortly after the end of FS1, Terrans and Vasudans forces come to blows over a very colonizable planet, the "beautiful Mandala Prime". What was never mentioned in the campaign, however, was in what system Mandala Prime was located.

Was it perhaps:

1) A planet in a charted, but seldom travelled system (such as Procyon or one of the other "fringe systems" such as Mirfak or Dubhe?

2) Located in a star system just outside of the mapped areas of the Freespace ethos (such as the first system just beyond Adhara)?

Any facts/opinions/views on this omission?

Offline CT27

It's been a while since I played the campaign, but I believe they made up a new system for Mandala Prime (IIRC it was called the Manda system).

Offline AV8R

Ah, yes. I haven't played it in a while myself and now that you said that, the brain suddenly shifted in gear. Ok, so that rules out any mapped systems.

So Manda must have been beyond one of the fringe systems on the canon Freespace map. Any opinions as to which fringe system it would have been beyond? The choices are:

1) Adhara
2) Mirfak
3) Altair
4) Duhbe

My vote goes to Adhara as it was near enough to both Terran and Vasudan interests to be of value to both species.   :yes:

Offline CT27

Wouldn't Manda need at least two entry points?

In the final mission a Terran and Vasudan fleet are in the system...did they come from different points?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
According to the Destiny of Peace campaign itself, the Manda system is "in the outer rim" and has jump nodes to both Beta Cygni and Betelgeuse.

Offline AV8R

Strange, with Freespace having such a loyal fan base that is so concerned with canon references, you'd think that someone would have edited one of the star maps to reflect that fact by now.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Destiny of Peace is not a canon campaign.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

What the Admiral just said is right AV8R.

I love Destiny Of Peace and consider it my favorite campaign, but unfortunately it isn't canon.

The only canon campaigns are:

FS1
Silent Threat (not Reborn)
Templar
FS2

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Operation Templar isn't even canon. Take the weapons available with a pinch of salt for example.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Templar wasn't made by fans and it was released on an official CD...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Vrets

What is this, the council of Nicaea? #2 in top 10 things that cause me to eventually abandon communities is the word "canon". Over the years I have come to hate this word, perhaps irrationally.

I am aware that this post adds minimal value to the discussion, and I apologize for that...my brain is mostly beer atm

what's #1
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

Anyways, what do you all think happened in the aftermath of Destiny Of Peace (after the Battle Of Manda/Mandala Prime)?

Would the Vasudans accept the Terran victory there or would they continue the war?

Offline AV8R

That could be a fun story to flesh out. I personally think that the (corrupt) Vasudans may have put up a token resistance or made idle threats (considering that this story happened in October of 2335, 4 years before the Vasudan Emperor disbanded their corrupt Parliament). But with remnants of the Shivan fleet around and the HOL still a viable threat (and losing 2 capital ships in the Manda engagement), fighting a war on 3 fronts would have been almost suicidal - spreading their resources so thin that the very survival of the Vasudan race could come into question.

In fact, actions here could have been the catalyst that eventually lead to the disbanding of the Vasudan Parliament 4 years later - shady, back room deals that caused the loss of a viable home world and thousands of Vasudan lives could have been the straw that broke the camel's back for the Vasudan people. Then, after investigations into the rout at Manda revealed the corruption, the public outcry could have forced the Emperor to act.

This story is sounding more and more "canon" to me as I type.  :cool:

Offline CT27

I don't know the full sizes of fleets during this time, but I'd imagine losing two destroyers (along with the two Atens present at the battle) would be a pretty significant loss for the Vasudans, correct?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think Manda was supposed to be the system that became Epsilon Pegasi. It's not labeled at all in the Volition nodemap (made for FS1), and only got its name in FS2. Destiny of Peace was released before FS2.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Of course, there's also that world in Vega called "Cygnus Prime" in the very first mission of FS2.  It certainly doesn't match its host system's name.  You'd expect it to be at the very least in the Beta Cygni system.  Perhaps Manadala was actually named after Nelson Mandela and someone just got the spelling wrong.  :lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline CT27

If I was the Terrans I would offer relatively generous terms since I wouldn't want a multi-front war either.

Basically, just recognize the Manda system as Terran space officially and we can call it a day.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I think Manda was supposed to be the system that became Epsilon Pegasi. It's not labeled at all in the Volition nodemap (made for FS1), and only got its name in FS2. Destiny of Peace was released before FS2.

Perhaps, but it doesn't have the right jump nodes.  (As noted above, it links to Beta Cygni and Betelgeuse.)

Of course, there's also that world in Vega called "Cygnus Prime" in the very first mission of FS2.  It certainly doesn't match its host system's name.  You'd expect it to be at the very least in the Beta Cygni system.

Cygnus is a synecdoche for Deneb, which is Alpha Cygni.  The first mission in FS2 takes place in Deneb, not Vega.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Sorry.  I had simply remembered from the first command briefing "Welcome to Vega, ensign" and since the first mission was at Cygnus prime, I just associated.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!