Author Topic: April 12 CVS  (Read 6682 times)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i've had the speech sdk, i never compile with it for some odd reason
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
So uh... why not add the necessary files of the speech SDK to the CVS module, like has already been done with the dx8 sdk etc?  ;) I've packed them up here to save you some time...
[sarcasm-alert]
Oh yippeee, more Windows specific crap that 90% of the people who build from CVS can't use, but have to download anyway.  But don't worry, we don't actually mind having to checkout the Windows-only oggvorbis stuff (1.7meg), the Windows-only dx8dsk (3.4meg), or even the Windows-only dx9sdk (59meg).  Nope, we surely don't.  We get our 20meg or so of actually useful cross-platform code and we are totally happy with that.  All is great with the world.
[/sarcasm-alert]

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Ah, understandable.  Yeah the cross-platform issue entered my mind but then left when I saw all the other stuff was already there  :doubt:  ...hmm, do we even use the dx9 stuff?  (heck I'd prefer to compile with only OpenGL anyway; there wouldn't happen to be a #define for that would there?)

Sorry, I'm new to the CVS thing, but isn't there some sort of option or 'branch' or something, that could be set up so that stuff like that is only downloaded if specifically asked for?  Especially if it's only for the 10% of us as you say.  ...Or did that end up being too complicated for some of the 10%?   ;)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Ah, understandable.  Yeah the cross-platform issue entered my mind but then left when I saw all the other stuff was already there  :doubt:  ...hmm, do we even use the dx9 stuff?  (heck I'd prefer to compile with only OpenGL anyway; there wouldn't happen to be a #define for that would there?)
The DX9 code was never committed, though we did get the full SDK, which remains totally useless. ;)

There is a NO_DIRECT3D define which is used for the non-Windows builds.  I've never actually tried using it under Windows though, and you'd probably have to add #ifndef NO_DIRECT3D to all of the grd3d* files to avoid actually building it in.  I keep meaning to do that myself but just haven't gotten around to it.

Sorry, I'm new to the CVS thing, but isn't there some sort of option or 'branch' or something, that could be set up so that stuff like that is only downloaded if specifically asked for?  Especially if it's only for the 10% of us as you say.  ...Or did that end up being too complicated for some of the 10%?   ;)
There were a lot of complaints (and real issues too) about having to have all of the various SDKs so things just started getting dumped in CVS.  The SDKs could be added to a new CVS module, but there would likely be complaints about having to check that out as well as the game.  :sigh:  It's not necessarily a bad thing to add them in there, but it's not much fun for some since the SDKs are easily gotten elsewhere.  The OS X code has it's own frameworks included, weighing it at about 1meg, but those are custom built for the game so it's actually difficult to come up with those on your own.  Those frameworks are also compressed into a single file which is nice for those people who don't need it, but also makes the builder do at least a little work before being able to compile.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
well, i'm happy to say i have absolutely no problems with this build. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta