Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373981 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
and there we go straight down into elitism. "magical autopilot" yadda yadda. for those of us who cant fly for **** its a godsend. i prefer building wacky contraptions and seeing how/where will they fall apart first and not having to wrestle with the stocks control scheme and doing the WSADQE dance constantly helps. otherwise i'd have given up on this game ages ago.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Kind of like everyone whoever played and enjoyed Rifts on the tabletop was having BADWRONGFUN.

Do you...even Rift, bro?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Do you...even Rift, bro?

Only with pencil and paper. GLITTERBOYS FOREVER
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MarkN

MechJeb is not just an autopilot. In fact the autolaunch system is very poor (the MechJeb SASS is poor at controlling large rockets).
My main use of it is as a HUD. While there are other HUD systems around that do not include the other features, there are two very important statistics that they do not seem to provide:
1) point of closest approach. This is not necessarily the intercept point seen in the map mode, but an actual point of closest approach eaven if you are not intersecting the orbit. Importantly, for the late stages of rendezvous, MechJeb shows this more accurately the the 0.1km scale used in map mode
2) the reentry simulator. this will predict the re-entry path of a spacecraft, giving it's final orbit for a aerobrake maneouvre or how close to a target landing site it will be. Of course you can use the landing autopilot, but if you try to use that with a craft that has parachutes it will undershoot by several kilometres.

There are two other features that are in MEchJeb that should be in stock, just in a less automated way (The Lazor system get both of these right, and as Romfarer, who developed the lazor system, is now a developer, these are likely to be possible with stock in future)

1) deorbit burn for a specific location on an airless world. This is easy enough if you already have something there so if, for example I want to land at a Kethane deposit (or an arch that someone has told be the coordinates of), I cannot tell where that it using stock currently. With Mechjeb you have to use the autoland system with it's particular weaknesses. With the Lazor system you can place a marker in map mode, and try to aim for that.
2) alignment of docking ports. MechJebs SASS sets the angle to exactly aligned, but has a weakness of forcing a particular rotation. The Lazor system has both a SAS option to align parallel which allows for rotation, and also has the docking camera which allows for this type of docking to be carried out manually.

On the other hand I like the idea of an automatic control for launch, as launches of identical craft get boring after a while. After all you have to remember that this is the Kerbal Space Program, not the Kerbal Launch Program.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Autolaunch system is indeed nice, and Lazor system has a few useful options, but stuff like antigravity, remote resource transfer, teleportation or greatly unbalanced SAS systems is a bit too much.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Oh my ****ing god...

That was incredible...

And in other news: I keep forgetting to put batteries and panels on my ships, so they get stuck dead in orbit, or if I do remember panels, dead when behind Kerbin.

But, I finally have a decent number of support vessels built and deployed: Land, sea, and space Kerbal rescue busses, an orbiting fueling hub, and a purpose-build space trash/derelict collector.
I have plans already for a surface-to-orbit shuttle so my bus doesn't have to land every time, and a generic refueling tanker.

Offline adratgg

• "You lit HOW MANY Magnesium Sticks on fire?!"
I'm guessing you built it piece by piece instead of launching it all at once?

No, I did it all at once.  I don't think it's that difficult to do for something of this size (it's mostly solar arrays, anyway.)  Anything much bigger would be pretty hairy to launch though.

This the later version of the station, which I sent to Eve, but it's basically the exact same thing as the original, which I still have in a high orbit around Kerbin.

The orange tanks get it well above the atmosphere, then the last liquid tanks bring it almost into orbit.  In fact they would put it in orbit if I allowed it.  Instead I put it in a very elliptical trajectory with periapsis just below the surface -- that way I can ditch the tanks without cluttering the orbital space, then use the xenon/RCS to bring periapsis above the atmosphere.  Finally a little liquid-powered tugship docks with it, shoves it into the final circular orbit, and tops off the xenon tanks.

....You might wanna put some nose cones on those rockets. give that nose a cone. noses love cones.
in fraternità,

Adratgg

aka sgt lulz on SCP-Foundation.net

Nosecones are worse than useless in their present state. All they do is increase your rocket's mass and drag.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Unless you install the Ferram Aerospace Research mod.

Which is awesome...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

You can also edit them so their drag value is negative, but that is almost certainly going to result in some insane corner case where sticking a load of them onto a command pod results in a re-enactment of the first episode of Farscape.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken