Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373903 times)

Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"
There's the 'Toyota Corolla' lander:

I couldn't find a design for an ascent stage but if you can get that into Munar orbit you should be fine.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I assembled a thing in orbit and landed it on the mun

Offline Husker

There's the 'Toyota Corolla' lander:

I couldn't find a design for an ascent stage but if you can get that into Munar orbit you should be fine.
That's...actually the lander I've been trying to get to the mun. My problem is being unable to get the thing near the mun. I got a modified version there, but on landing approach, well, spaceship + ground - fuel = well I crashed at about 40 m/s.

Offline ShivanSpS

The concept its the same on the full version, launcher to get to orbit and 1800m/s before separating, a second stage engines to do the orbit transfer and absorb the brutal part of desaceleration when at 50000km from the Mun, them 180 liquid fuel for landing and you will need another 180 liquid fuel for launching, you can do that by either using a single 360 fuel tank or two 180 with 2 engines using 2 stages, one for landing another for launching. Landing and launching must be done with the 50P engine. And there can be no errors.

The full version allow this to be done in a much better way, because there are best suited fuel tanks for the task, and other engines.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm still lolorbital because I'm not using MechJeb I'm terrible at math and seat-of-the-pantsing.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShivanSpS

This ship can get to the Mun and back on the demo.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Heh that actually looks pretty similar to the MK VI design I made back in the BTRL days.  :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Exactly my feelings about the matter. What's with all the multiplayer these days? Honestly, I couldn't care less for that particular feature. It's already holding up some nice features in FSO (gun bank expansion, for instance), it'll probably do the same for KSP. There's a lot of backlash on the forums, though, so maybe they'll give it priority it deserves (i.e. rock bottom of the feature list).

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, I'm not really surprised or disappointed. It's something I always thought SHOULD be in the game, as long as it doesn't negatively affect single player experience.

As long as they still add all the stuff for single player that they would have anyway - I don't mind longer development, or multiplayer being developed first and single player features afterwards. I have all the time in the world.

It does offer certain unique possibilities, though.

It would be great to be able to play with some friends in the same game, and a spectator mode would be absolute gold for live streaming for example.

Also, multiplayer makes it possible to do things like... say, keep a camera crew (another user) on ground at Kerbal Space Center, recording a launch to make even more awesome films. It will be possible to do fly-by camera angles, with chase planes.

As far as I understand, the multiplayer mod already makes these things possible, but I haven't had time to play KSP, much less make videos of it recently...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
we need our own kmp server
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What's with all the multiplayer these days?

...I could say so much here, but instead I'll merely point out that humans are explicitly social animals and this is a very dumb question in light of that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I can't seem to get my rockets very far until they explode in hilarious fashions. :(
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Add more stages, add more rockets, add more fuel!!
(parachute optional)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive been banging my head on the desk trying to get my eve extraplanetary launchpads to not destroy the ships i build on them with their shoddy collision detection. the models in that mod are horrible. then theres also the issue of things i build falling through the ground. i mean i lost an entire vtol because it got eaten by the ground.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
0.23 is out tomorrow. Maybe that'll help.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Add more stages, add more rockets, add more fuel!!
(parachute optional)

I must be retarded on creating stages, then, because I've had a few rockets have boosters fire, disengage, then converge on the top. >_>
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
0.23 is out tomorrow. Maybe that'll help.

doubtful, i will probibly need to wait a month for all the mods to be updated.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I must be retarded on creating stages, then, because I've had a few rockets have boosters fire, disengage, then converge on the top. >_>

Ah, that means that your radial decouplers aren't strong enough for the job and/or your rocket is too heavy. Add struts connecting the boosters to the rocket body.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
space tape is your friend

Nuke's Scripting SVN