Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 48303 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
No, what I have to ask myself is if it's fun.

Perfect mirror balance doesn't not equal fun. And there's plenty of ways to balance sides without throwing historical accuracy out of the window.
For example - side with weaker tanks gets more players. Isn't that balance too?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
There's actually no such thing as Russian bias, bro. Most German tanks (aside from the E-100) are fine, same with American tanks, and the Russian line has a lot of ****ty tanks in it.
There definitely was a large amount of Russian bias during the beta
During the beta, yes, Russian tanks were overpowering. Not so much anymore, though.

The moving the French tanks up a tier was a clever method of nerfing them, and they probably needed it, but it's going to suck a lot of fun out of driving my AMX 13s.

Going up tiers means more health, though, so that 13 90 is going to be even more of a pain to kill.
They'll be giving upgunning the AMX 12t, the AMX 13 75, and the AMX 13 90.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:00:55 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline CKid

If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Well, the KT was vulnerable to a lucky shot from a 57 mm gun IRL...
It is the resistance to penetration that makes a tank a monster, not the ability to keep going after being pen'd.

I'm not asking for a sim where 80-90% of the time the 1st penetration knocks out the tank.
All I'd like is a shooter similar to C-S or Call of Duty, where there is no mechanic of giving the higher ranking players an insane amount of health (allowing them to be idiots when facing a lower Tier tank*) but it's also possible to take an arrow in the knee and keep going.

As for T10 Mediums... Guess I'll be an M48A1 driver. The M103 is a bit sluggish and the T110E5 may not be good enough either.

*- I've successfully charged at a Panther II across the bridge in Mountain Pass and destroyed it... in my T34. I got penetrated some 5-8 times in the process, and got to within 50 meters of the P II when I destroyed it. It's stuff like this that makes the game dull.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You'd like a game that is inherently opposed to how the game works.

I suggest you either Deal With It or stop playing, in order to stop more complaints.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
He sees em tankin', he hatin'.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
You know Bengal has a point but this is not that kind of game.

I would agree with Bengal if it wern't for an experience I had:

It is easily the hardest laughter I have ever experienced playing a video game. When I got a stock Tiger I, I happened to get put on top a lot. It was the first, and only heavy I had so I thought frankly I was invincible. One game I saw a tank destroyer in the distance. It had a complete positional advantage on me firing down on me at long range from a shallow hill. Being in all out dick mode I pressed the 'r' key to lock full speed and headed straight for the tank destroyer. I began charging across the open field well infront of my allied tanks. I wildly fired my inacurate short barreled HE round gun at the target barely taking the time to aim each shot. I thought I would be killed doing this, but honestly I didn't care. It was hilarious enough being such an asshole about having a high tir tank. I slowly made my way towards the target getting pegged along the way; no dammage to my tank. I got in close, still headed straight for what I realised was a hetzer, wildly missing every shot I fired. He soon realised he could not take me, even with his complete tactical advantage. He started trying to back up, but it was too late. I rammed him square in his frontal armor for a one hit KO! I totally didn't expect it. The tank instantly evaporated into a hulk of black scrap and it showed that his tank died in the text on the bottom right. I literally started bursting out with laughter, so much so that it hurt. I was made unable to control the tank as it pushed the little hetzer's wreck inch by inch. Eventually I was on the floor, literally, only to find when I finally could somewhat control myself that my tank had been killed. I was laughing on and off for the next 10 minutes or so. Just hilarious.

Ngtm: that "he's gone find another target" macro is pretty funny too.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
All I'd like is a shooter similar to C-S or Call of Duty
Well, time for you to find an other game then!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And there's plenty of ways to balance sides without throwing historical accuracy out of the window.

Even the idea this is actually what's happened suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. Because it hasn't. There are some pretty lol bits still in (the idea the Russian D-25-T 122mm has ballistic performance not comparable to a catapulted cow), but for the most part the game is reasonably accurate about gun and armor specs.

People get into a Tiger and assume it should be hell on wheels, but they've forgotten that it's tiered with tanks that are two or three years more recent in vintage. That's where the balancing got done.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I'll grind up the US medium and heavy tank trees and if no hardcore mode arrives (where everyone has 1/3 of their original HP, no over target markers unless manually generated by pressing T, no enemies on the map, etc.), guess I'll have more time for FreeSpace and Open General. :P
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
People get into a Tiger and assume it should be hell on wheels, but they've forgotten that it's tiered with tanks that are two or three years more recent in vintage. That's where the balancing got done.
There's also that 100mm of non sloped armor suddenly isn't so hot anymore when tanks of the same tier get experimental or later war area gun upgrades that can actually penetrate it without *too* much effort.
It'd be hell on tracks if all your opponents were stock equipped T-34's :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, technically the Tiger shouldn't get the Long 88 (IIRC, the breech for that gun was longer than the Tiger's whole turret).

Also the 57 mm ZiS-4 was produced as early as 1941 for use on tanks (with a break for a couple years until the introduction of the Panther and Tiger in 1943).  It was fully capable of punching through Tiger front plate at 500 meters head on, and the side armor at 60 degress at the same range.  Combine with T-34 "We Have Reserves" tactical doctrine, and Tigers don't last long. :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It was fully capable of punching through Tiger front plate at 500 meters head on
And the Tiger can smoke said T-34 easily from 3 times that range.  :P
500 meters is a really really ****ty range for the average tank battle.
Look at the losses suffered in the battle of kursk:
German losses: 720 tanks and assault guns
Soviet losses: 6,064 tanks and assault guns

And operation citadel:
German losses: 323 tanks and assault guns
Soviet losses: 1,614 – 1,956 tanks and assault guns

Of course the Tiger was not the only tank type on the german side, but it sure earned a reputation there. I can fully understand that the first impression of the Tiger in WoT for a lot of people is well... underwhelming. Its one of the reasons why I really wanted to see a historical battle match type of some sorts in WoT when I was still playing. I'd be awesome if there were like 20 T-34's vs 10 Tigers kinda of mode. The 'all random, team deathmatch' got kind of stale after 200 games.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
A real historical battle would be more like 50 T-34s versus 5 Tigers.  If that. :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'd still play it  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline CKid

Have you guys heard of the White Tiger? Unfortunately, It only appears on the Russian server.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Have you guys heard of the White Tiger? Unfortunately, It only appears on the Russian server.
hah, that's awesome.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Is that a Porche Tiger I hull?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline CKid

Yup, with a side skirt. Second page has a video of it in action in game.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
There's also that 100mm of non sloped armor suddenly isn't so hot anymore when tanks of the same tier get experimental or later war area gun upgrades that can actually penetrate it without *too* much effort.
It'd be hell on tracks if all your opponents were stock equipped T-34's :p
Except ANY tier 7 heavy tank is easily penned in the front, and the Tiger has the best tier 7 gun, especially for pen. The Tiger just has the easiest job of doing it. :P

It's, frankly, my favorite tier 7 heavy.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL