Author Topic: War in Heaven P1 Voice Acting Call, Take 2  (Read 40722 times)

Offline Husker

Re: War in Heaven P1 Voice Acting Call, Take 2
How would you feel if I ad-libbed a couple lines? I'm going to include the standard lines and possibly the ad-libbed ones too.

Hey there! I always wanted to do some voice recording. If there's any work to be done I would be happy to offer my voice services. Is there anything I could do here? Are you still in need for voice actors? Or is it too late?  ;)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
How would you feel if I ad-libbed a couple lines? I'm going to include the standard lines and possibly the ad-libbed ones too.

You may, but the general rule is keep to the script as much as possible. Even then it's ultimately not up to me if the lines get used.

Hey there! I always wanted to do some voice recording. If there's any work to be done I would be happy to offer my voice services. Is there anything I could do here? Are you still in need for voice actors? Or is it too late?  ;)

Never too late. If you want to send in some lines, feel free. I don't know your vocal range but nobody is auditioning much for the main characters. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Husker

You may, but the general rule is keep to the script as much as possible. Even then it's ultimately not up to me if the lines get used.
I would add to the end of the script line.
Example: "It's Serkr team. Steele's war dogs, the ones who took Artemis. Alpha, clear our blast zone, you've done all you can. Gunnery, open fire on the Marcus Glaive!" that's basically what I'd do. Add to the original, while keeping to the basic script.

I'll record a couple lines to see if you like my voice for this.

Offline Rhys

Now that I've got a decent mike, I think I'll try out my tev fighter jock voice on Scorpio 1. Maybe give the Norfolk a shot as well.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Go for it. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I'd like to try my hand at Captain Sorensen once some lines get posted for me.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
I've got a male's Mancunian accent but a very variable voice.  Would love to do some voice acting - once I get my hands on a halfway decent mike :)

So.. is this done yet?

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Better question: Is anyone voicing main roles?   :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Nobody's been auditioning for the main roles except Laporte. I got the actor for Mina Taylor from AoA to voice Laporte, but I haven't heard from her in months. Everybody just auditions for the red shirts.

Given recent upheavals in my life (I now reside in Iowa, free from the Air Force), I haven't been able to do jack **** on this. I don't think it'll ever be finished because of the sheer scope and apparent disinterest in actually doing something about getting BP2 voice acted. All I see is "I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS GET VOICE ACTED" but when I took the director's reigns and put out the call once more, I got a few auditions for secondary characters and only those specific characters. I'm getting very irritated and considering shutting down the initiative and nobody else can be assed to respond to my queries.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:22:55 pm by Cobra »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well, now I want to find a microphone that isn't crap and start auditioning for every male role.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Cobra, I applied for Solaris control awhile back. Don't know if you missed it or not.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
What else did you expect when the majority of the people here are males and the protagonists and a significant chunk of the secondary cast are females? unless you got some magical voice changer, you should try posting about this project in a voice acting forum. Where you'd most likely find women willing and able to jump in.

Is that list at the start up to date?

There are roles which don't have examples, so you gotta gut the game files to get test lines.

Please don't take this as me pissing all over what you are trying to do.

If you want help with setting up the whole thing, ask for it. Voicing AoA was one thing, WiH has at least five times the speaking roles.

Hell, You know what, I'll give Steele, Netreba and Gwilym a shot this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:58:57 am by An4ximandros »

Offline Husker

I'm sorry I haven't been helping. To much else to do and I haven't gotten around to it. But I'll audition for Ranvir control and Admiral Steele. A fair amount of the rest use language I'm uncomfortable with. But I'll try to help out.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Have you guys checked http://www.reddit.com/r/voiceacting ? There is a lot of experienced people with diverse voices willing to do voice acting there, and I know someone voiced some Freespace multiplayer missions using that subreddit recently.  Perhaps posting a request for voicing the missing roles over there would be worthwhile.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I had a lot of luck finding women when voicing AoA - more luck than finding men, in fact. Poke around other voice forums (Reddit sounds like a great suggestion).

The real hurdle is generating scripts with clear character briefs and instructions for line delivery. If that weren't so much damn work this thing could probably be done already.

Offline Nagrach

• Just another Freespacer
After Seconds of googling I have found this forum: http://voiceacting.proboards.com/

Maybe worth a look?
Crabby the crappy crab crap.

-273 °C. Finally a place where I don't need to sweat.

I still have all of my recorded lines for this from the first go-round.  Do you need them to be resubmitted?  I just happened to wander by today because someone was asking me about voice work for another project, and I used my AoA work as part of the samples. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Darius

Your auditions are all on SVN, but thanks for checking in. There's some amazing auditions in there from a bunch of people, but the organisational stuff is still a ton of work.