Author Topic: The Great Darkness (major spoilers)  (Read 43270 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: The Great Darkness (major spoilers)
'Tutta already said BP3 will be about 'Sudans, so... for all we know... :nervous: :shaking:

Ha! Do you not know the first rule of Hollywood? Always leave room for a sequel in case your project is successful.

There will never be an end to Blue Planet, just one cliffhanger after the net til the day we die.

Ain't life grand?

Considering the BP team do not and cannot make money off the project, I don't think that's very likely.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline docfu

Money or not, there will be room for a sequel...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There will be room to tell new stories in the BP universe.

But at the moment, we have no plans to do so.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline An4ximandros

In Lord Darius' words: "FORUM POSTS ARE NOT CANON!" :D

The E's trap is too obvious! :P

Offline Darius

You're confusing the word "canon" with something else.

If The E were to say "In BP3 Vasuda Prime gains sentience and gets revenge on the Shivans for glassing it," that would be applicable.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
"In BP3 Vasuda Prime gains sentience and gets revenge on the Shivans for glassing it,"

this would be totally ****ing awesome and i fully support the making of such a campaign
i will also try to send the person who makes this campaign things as thanks

although unless you tell me what things you want i will probably get confused as to what things i should send

Offline Luis Dias

Just build a Vasuda Prime model. A Sphere with a big mouth innit, spanning 10 thousand clicks in diameter. The beam that the mouth regurgitates is 100km wide. Kills entire Sathanas Fleets in one go.

then it turns out that the sun is actually the plasma shine of a beam that's been charging up for 4.6 billion years
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Shambala confirmed. Shoot the Tevs with the sun.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline An4ximandros

2:35 Shambala testing.

Offline Darius

Don't be so proud of this technological terror. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
then it turns out that the sun is actually the plasma shine of a beam that's been charging up for 4.6 billion years
Like a Ringworld Laser without the ringworld.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
You're confusing the word "canon" with something else.
That may be, but eventually the myth becomes more than the man who told the story. Like what y'all did to Transcend and all the other campaigns you paid homage to.

I would argue that even Word of God should be semi-canon unless outright stated in-game.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
The Great Darkness would be more fun if it were the personification of the concept of entropy, introduced into the universe through fundamental vacuum instability.

Offline Luis Dias

You are basically sayin that The Great Darkness is a Neo.

Offline An4ximandros

Quote from: Ken
You side with the Vishnans, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You side with the Shivans, you stay in the Nagari network... and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
You are basically sayin that The Great Darkness is a Neo.

Eh, not really :p  The concept is more simple than a personification of some inbuilt error in an artificial reality.  The Shivans and the Vishnans in my case would be trapped by the acknowledgement that they are part of a universe or multiverse and not external to it.  The Great Darkness evokes a fear only a cross universal intelligence could understand - the end of everything.

Insanity could be easily brought on exposing a mere human intellect (especially one as average as Laporte) to the idea of multi-versal entropic oblivion and the ignition of a trillion new cosmic seeds from the quantum foam.  Never mind leeches behind the eyeball, such ideas are beyond the understanding of our entire communal species.

Offline docfu

And yet here you summed them up so beautifully in two simple paragraphs.

"Oh, who are we but simply those who were meant not to understand, even though we understand thus so..."

And anyone who has half a clue about life knows there is absolutely NOTHING to be afraid of if the universe ups and ends itself tomorrow. The simple fact is that it's completely out of your control either way, so the only reaction is to whine like a little girl on the Nagari General Discussion forums until the Shivans whip up a ban and shut you up...

Offline Luis Dias

I kinda agree with both of you. I see what docfu says and I agree, even in more basic terms. For instance, we do already know that the amount of stars in the universe is somewhat in the same ballpark of the number of grains of sand in all beaches of the world (or smth). We try really hard to understand and marvel ourselves at this statistic, but the effort is completely fruitless. It is unimaginable.

The end result is not, however, being turned crazy. We just go on with our lives. There is no danger of destroying minds with these thoughts. If we were to know that the universe is ten to the power of five hundred larger than we see it, we would all go "meh, so what? Does this knowledge gives me a better tasty bacon?". Ahah, ok I'm not that sarcastic but you get my point. The point is that this caring is always localized to our own interests and is never "scaled" in proportion to real physical or numeral scales of the universe.

So in that sense I agree with docfu.

OTOH, we are dealing with a Lovecraftian typical cosmo horror story, and in these stories this mind terror, this paralysis, the idea that the universe is so weird that if we really get a glimpse of it we go insane is pretty much a standard trope and a requirement, and in BP it's clearly existent.

My preferred version is the one of the Hitchhiker's Guide, that really connects both of these ideas neatly, with the Total Perspective Vortex. It is terrifying, it is comical and it drives the point home like nothing else. It's also not pretensious at all, which obviously BP's take is (this is not a criticism btw. I also think 2001 to be one of the most pretensious movies I've ever seen and.. one of the best).