Author Topic: GTD Erebus (WIP)  (Read 34624 times)

Offline FIZ

Trying to imagine how it would look with some Slava tubes would look on the Erebus.  I think less high tech, but certainly would get the point across.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/SS-N-12_Sandbox_surface-to-surface_missiles.JPEG/757px-SS-N-12_Sandbox_surface-to-surface_missiles.JPEG

Regardless, awesome work.

As I considered his work, it became clear to me that Aesaar hasn't made a fully modernized HTL of the Raynor, but instead created an entirely new class of vessel that is quite obviously descended from the Raynor.  This makes changing the name to "Erebus" all the more appropriate.  It remains to be seen if another skilled modeler will give us a "true" modern HTL-ed Raynor, but I find myself quite satisfied with this fine piece of work that Aesaar has seen fit to give us. ;)

Amen for that :D
Talking about the VLS. GTVA is already using this system (for example on Deimos, new Diomedes) so I don't see any problem with more Allied ships using this.
But the most kickass heavy missile launchers are the tubes from Galactica ;)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:47:54 pm by Col.Hornet »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
As I considered his work, it became clear to me that Aesaar hasn't made a fully modernized HTL of the Raynor, but instead created an entirely new class of vessel that is quite obviously descended from the Raynor.  This makes changing the name to "Erebus" all the more appropriate.
That's not how it's working. The Erebus is the new Raynor in BP and all references to the name 'Raynor' are going to be removed, as far as I understand it. Basically, BP is using it as the 'htl raynor' and renaming it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:06:57 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Luis Dias

I really don't get all the hate in this thread.

So the Erebus is slightly different in some details from the Raynor.

Big. ****ing. Deal.

The level of canon worship is just astounding to me. Especially when one considers that the original Raynor was just a third party asset used for convenience by Darius in the first place.

This is the new Raynor. I really don't see the point of making a new "HTL" version of the former ship known as the Raynor other than just mindboggling senseless aforementioned canonworship. Such great skills could be put to oh so much better use!

Like building the new Titan!  :nervous: ;7

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova

Big. ****ing. Deal.

The level of canon worship is just astounding to me. Especially when one considers that the original Raynor was just a third party asset used for convenience by Darius in the first place.

This is the new Raynor. I really don't see the point of making a new "HTL" version of the former ship known as the Raynor other than just mindboggling senseless aforementioned canonworship. Such great skills could be put to oh so much better use!

I agree with this post greatly. Would people shut up about it being so "different" already?  :banghead:

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I agree with you luis. The way i am understanding it these new models are being made for the BP cannon and not as general 3rd party High Poly models. I remember reading post by either Daruis or GB about the Raynor and Titan etc being place holders until new models where made specifically for BP. So i really dont know what the beef is as they have said the new model is Erebus and not the raynor anymore, its a new ship to replace the Raynor, that has taken insperation from the Raynor design by stratcomm, nothing wrong in that.

I feel the new design fits in better with BP than the Raynor, i always thought it looked out of place along with the Titan (despite it being one of my favourite models) after the Aaseers new models were put into the last release.

I am really looking foward to going up against this bad boy and really cant wait to see what you will do with the Titan.

Also does this mean we will get another update to BP 1 and 2?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Big. ****ing. Deal.

I agree with this post greatly. Would people shut up about it being so "different" already?  :banghead:

So we can't discuss about that? Just to compare things? To tell each other what we think? I did not see any complains written("hate" also). Now we all should know why this new model is different. It was built to suit BP's designers needs and every modder here should understand this. But I guess that a lot of people expected to see something more like Chimera or Bel- like remake, so I can understand such point of view.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:14:05 pm by Col.Hornet »

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova

Big. ****ing. Deal.

So we can't discuss about that? Just to compare things? To tell each other what we think? I did not see any complains written("hate" also). Now we all should know why this new model is different. It was built to suit BP's designers needs and every modder here should understand this. But I guess that a lot of people expected to see something more like Chimera or Bel- like remake, so I can understand such point of view.

I'm not asking people do stop discussing or comparing. I'm asking them to stop making posts like Dragon's where the content of the post can be summarized as "they changed it it's ugly nao baaaaaaaaaw". It might turn out that's not the case, but it SEEMS like it, and it's annoying me already.

Offline Luis Dias

I agree I exagerated in the "hate" part.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I figured. I personally keep getting "this sounds like whining and not discussion" vibes or something, but I'm hella tired, so it might be that. I think I'm going to come back to this later when I'm a bit more cognizant.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.

Offline Kolgena

For actual criticism/discussion:

I don't really like the single barrel turrets you have in alcoves. First, the alcoves are huuuge (easily fitting bombers in it and such, if the atlanta fighter is an accurate representation of scale), and don't need to be for allowing the turrets a full field of view. They could be shallower, not as wide, and not as tall. They also don't need to be rectangular, and could be crescent or triangular shaped to minimize places something could hide.  Second, they would look more integrated and less fragile if they were attached to the hull on the bottom and top of the turret. Maybe as a cylinder spanning the bottom and top of the alcove, similar to what this lego turret looks like:

Aesaar keeps all his models private for some reason, even the ones that have long been released.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

No, I just delete them from p3d after they've been released to clear up space.

Hyperion is next on the list.  It's getting a total redesign, much like what the Diomedes got. 

Dragon: it still has box launchers.  They just can't move because FSO doesn't support moving turrets without an arm.  They can probably move in-universe, maybe even pitch up.  The reason they don't is because I couldn't manage to make a decent looking mechanism to let them do so.

Funny thing is that the controversy over this being a "proper Raynor"  is pretty much exactly the reason that I stay away from FSU.  I have no interest in making replicas of old models with a higher polycount.  I didn't set out to make a proper HTL Raynor.  I set out to redesign the thing, clear away all the bits I didn't like, and make it mine.  I can't stand being constrained into keeping design elements I don't like.

Honestly, I'd really like to see someone make an actual HTL of Stratcomm's Raynor, just to see how much their version differs from mine.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:14:01 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Couldn't you make them move without an arm by assigning it a "dummy" arm (some tiny thing buried inside the turret, etc)?
if you wanted them to be able to pitch up, then the idea would probably be a dummy turret base with the box as the "arm", and then using initial position and limited traverse to achieve the desired range of motion (IIRC, this is possible in FSO).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Who cares about controversy, the model is gorgeous and we're grateful for the time you are investing on it.
If I haven't said before, kudos for the great model :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline CT27

The real question is:  how will Steele feel about this 'new' ship? ;)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
(...) I'd really like to see someone make an actual HTL of Stratcomm's Raynor, just to see how much their version differs from mine.
Time to shine! *Goes digging for own old Raynor redesigns*

But regardless of what comes of the discussion, I've made my peace with this change. All that is now left are ugly old posts.

Offline James Razor

• New Eden Veteran.
Please dont name that thing Erebus.

Sorry to say that, but someone else was faster than u guys to pick that name.

http://theatreten.s249.xrea.com/eve/wp-content/uploads/ErebusOnNYC1.jpg

And yes, that is a picture with New York City below it to show u its size. And dont think anything in FS2 can or even should rival that monster.

Also, even if u finaly decide to keep the name, think at least about changing it to Erebos instead.

Other than that, pls keep up the good work.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please dont name that thing Erebus.

Sorry to say that, but someone else was faster than u guys to pick that name.

Nope, not gonna change it again. EvE does not have a monopoly on names, especially not ones taken from greek mythology.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns